Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've learned samples can be shared by e-mail.  So this is  a thread for those of you out of WhisperNet range to post if you'd like one of us within whispernet range to download a sample and e-mail it to you. 

Caveats:  this is strictly between you all. . .connect up by PM and exchange e-mail addresses or what have you.  Samples will NOT be posted here.

I will ask luvmy4brats and/or Leslie to please post a 'step by step' for any who wish to participate, as they are the two who have successfully accomplished it.

Finally, remember, if the book is on Mobipocket, you can get samples there as well and transfer them to your Kindle via USB.

This will be stickied for the time being . . . .

Ann 

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Okay, I just tested it:

If you want to send a sample to someone:

• Go to Amazon and order the sample. Have it sent to your Kindle in the usual way.
  • Turn on the WN on your Kindle and receive the sample.
  • Connect the Kindle to your computer with the USB.
  • Open your email, compose the message, and add the sample as an attachment. Since the Kindle is connected to your computer with the USB, you can just directly navigate there to find the sample. It will be located in the documents folder. (Hint: Sort the files by "date modified" and that will put the sample at the top of the list.)

For the person receiving the sample:

• Open the email message and choose "save attachment." Save to your computer in the usual way.
  • Connect the Kindle with the USB cable. Copy the sample and paste in the documents folder on your Kindle. Make sure it is in the documents folder....otherwise, it won't show up.
  • Disconnect the Kindle after stopping it with the "remove hardware" icon.

Let me know if you have questions.

L

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I suggested we pair up in another thread to email samples to someone out of the Whispernet range...here goes ;)

I'm willing to pair up with someone who needs samples :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm confused.....why don't you just download the samples yourself?  Whay are you emailing them to each other? 

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Tbarney said:
I'm confused.....why don't you just download the samples yourself? Whay are you emailing them to each other?
People who don't have Whispernet are unable to download samples. Samples are (in my opinion) one of the best features of the Kindle. Now, if somebody who doesn't have Whispernet is interested in a book, a willing board member can send them the sample.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Right, as Luv said.

We have a few members in Montana, Alaska, Iraq, Mexico, the Phillipines...all places without Whispernet for sampling.

L

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
chynared21 said:
I suggested we pair up in another thread to email samples to someone out of the Whispernet range...here goes ;)

I'm willing to pair up with someone who needs samples :)
Thanks - right now I have too many books to read to get samples to be tempted to order more, that being said, you can be assured I will call on you to help me out.

Dona

G

·
Tbarney said:
I'm confused.....why don't you just download the samples yourself? Whay are you emailing them to each other?
I was wondering the samething. I'll be happy to help out with this if someone needs me.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
What a great idea. This is a great thread. Has anybody used this "service" from this thread?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Kind said:
What a great idea. This is a great thread. Has anybody used this "service" from this thread?
I've sent a few samples to others. If you want some samples, send me a PM with the ones you want and an email address.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Send me any and all samples, I'll take them all. I read everything except well hmm, I guess westerns..lol. My email, which I don't care about posting online is, [email protected]  Thanks so very much. Leaving out of the whispernet area this is probably the only area I dislike about the kindle but I knew that going in.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
eclecticmama said:
Has anyone sent you the samples? If not, pm me your email addy and I'll try and get them to you asap :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Leslie said:
Right, as Luv said.

We have a few members in Montana, Alaska, Iraq, Mexico, the Phillipines...all places without Whispernet for sampling.

L
Does this mean Whisphernet is location specific? So it wont work out of the US? What if I have whispernet and I am in the US, then I will not be able to use it if I went out of the country, say, the Carribean? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jill. . . .first, welcome!

WN works in most of the US but is problematic in some more rural areas.  Good in much of Hawaii; not there at all in Alaska and, apparently, a lot of Montana.  It's a function of Sprint's coverage map, mostly.  It is absolutely NOT available outside the US; the reason has to do with the license under which Amazon sells the e-books which is only for the US.  They're working on something broader.  What Id suggest is to make sure you have plenty of books on your Kindle when you leave so you will not need to get more.  If you do need (or want) to get more, you can do it by downloading via computer. 

This used to be pretty clearly explained on Amazon's web site but it's possible that it's not quite so prominently displayed now.  I also think the K2 has a better radio than the K1 so even places that were spotty for the K1 work pretty well for the K2.

If you haven't already, pop down to "intros and welcomes" and tell us a bit about yourself!

Ann

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I don't get it.  My dad just tried to e-mail me a sample, and we both followed the steps.  I couldn't get it to open on my Kindle.  It's really strange, too, since we are both on one account. 

Oh, well.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
mwvickers said:
I don't get it. My dad just tried to e-mail me a sample, and we both followed the steps. I couldn't get it to open on my Kindle. It's really strange, too, since we are both on one account.
What kind of error did you get?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts