Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, just found this through Twitter, LOL!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/apr/01/guardian-twitter-media-technology

Consolidating its position at the cutting edge of new media technology, the Guardian today announces that it will become the first newspaper in the world to be published exclusively via Twitter, the sensationally popular social networking service that has transformed online communication.

The move, described as "epochal" by media commentators, will see all Guardian content tailored to fit the format of Twitter's brief text messages, known as "tweets", which are limited to 140 characters each. Boosted by the involvement of celebrity "twitterers", such as Madonna, Britney Spears and Stephen Fry, Twitter's profile has surged in recent months, attracting more than 5m users who send, read and reply to tweets via the web or their mobile phones.

As a Twitter-only publication, the Guardian will be able to harness the unprecedented newsgathering power of the service, demonstrated recently when a passenger on a plane that crashed outside Denver was able to send real-time updates on the story as it developed, as did those witnessing an emergency landing on New York's Hudson River. It has also radically democratised news publishing, enabling anyone with an internet connection to tell the world when they are feeling sad, or thinking about having a cup of tea.

"[Celebrated Guardian editor] CP Scott would have warmly endorsed this - his well-known observation 'Comment is free but facts are sacred' is only 36 characters long," a spokesman said in a tweet that was itself only 135 characters long.

A mammoth project is also under way to rewrite the whole of the newspaper's archive, stretching back to 1821, in the form of tweets. Major stories already completed include "1832 Reform Act gives voting rights to one in five adult males yay!!!"; "OMG Hitler invades Poland, allies declare war see tinyurl.com/b5x6e for more"; and "JFK assassin8d @ Dallas, def. heard second gunshot from grassy knoll WTF?"

Sceptics have expressed concerns that 140 characters may be insufficient to capture the full breadth of meaningful human activity, but social media experts say the spread of Twitter encourages brevity, and that it ought to be possible to convey the gist of any message in a tweet.

For example, Martin Luther King's legendary 1963 speech on the steps of the Lincoln memorial appears in the Guardian's Twitterised archive as "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin but by", eliminating the waffle and bluster of the original.

At a time of unprecedented challenge for all print media, many publications have rushed to embrace social networking technologies. Most now offer Twitter feeds of major breaking news headlines, while the Daily Mail recently pioneered an iPhone application providing users with a one-click facility for reporting suspicious behaviour by migrants or gays. "In the new media environment, readers want short and punchy coverage, while the interactive possibilities of Twitter promise to transform th," the online media guru Jeff Jarvis said in a tweet yesterday, before reaching his 140-character limit, which includes spaces. According to subsequent reports, he is thinking about going to the theatre tonight, but it is raining :(.

A unique collaboration between The Guardian and Twitter will also see the launch of Gutter, an experimental service designed to filter noteworthy liberal opinion from the cacophony of Twitter updates. Gutter members will be able to use the service to comment on liberal blogs around the web via a new tool, specially developed with the blogging platform WordPress, entitled GutterPress.

Currently, 17.8% of all Twitter traffic in the United Kingdom consists of status updates from Stephen Fry, whose reliably jolly tone, whether trapped in a lift or eating a scrumptious tart, has won him thousands of fans. A further 11% is made up of his 363,000 followers replying "@stephenfry LOL!", "@stephenfry EXACTLY the same thing happened to me", and "@stephenfry Meanwhile, I am making myself an omelette! Delicious!"

According to unconfirmed rumours, Jim Buckmaster, the chief executive of Craigslist, will next month announce plans for a new system of telepathy-based social networking that is expected to render Twitter obsolete within weeks.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
From Google:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/landing/cadie/index.html

Announcement
March 31st, 2009 11:59:59 pm
Introducing CADIE
Research group switches on world's first "artificial intelligence" tasked-array system.

For several years now a small research group has been working on some challenging problems in the areas of neural networking, natural language and autonomous problem-solving. Last fall this group achieved a significant breakthrough: a powerful new technique for solving reinforcement learning problems, resulting in the first functional global-scale neuro-evolutionary learning cluster.

Since then progress has been rapid, and tonight we're pleased to announce that just moments ago, the world's first Cognitive Autoheuristic Distributed-Intelligence Entity (CADIE) was switched on and began performing some initial functions. It's an exciting moment that we're determined to build upon by coming to understand more fully what CADIE's emergence might mean, for Google and for our users. So although CADIE technology will be rolled out with the caution befitting any advance of this magnitude, in the months to come users can expect to notice her influence on various google.com properties. Earlier today, for instance, CADIE deduced from a quick scan of the visual segment of the social web a set of online design principles from which she derived this intriguing homepage.

These are merely the first steps onto what will doubtless prove a long and difficult road. Considerable bugs remain in CADIE'S programming, and considerable development clearly is called for. But we can't imagine a more important journey for Google to have undertaken.

For more information about CADIE see this monograph, and follow CADIE's progress via her YouTube channel and blog.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's CADIE's website as mentioned in Leslie's article.  I've actually seen websites just like this...

Betsy

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Or this one:

The British seem to do April Fools so much better than we do. Three of the four spoofs here are British...

Betsy

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Origin's of April Fool's Day:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Fools%27_Day

The origin of April Fools' Day is obscure. One likely theory is that the modern holiday was first celebrated soon after the adoption of the Gregorian Calendar; the term referred to someone still adhering to the Julian Calendar, which it replaced.[2] In many pre-Christian cultures May Day (May 1) was celebrated as the first day of summer, and signalled the start of the spring planting season. An April Fool was someone who did this prematurely. Another origin is that April 1 was counted the first day of the year in France. When King Charles IX changed that to January 1, some people stayed with April 1. Those who did were called "April Fools" and were taunted by their neighbors.[citation needed] In the eighteenth century the festival was often posited as going back to the times of Noah. An English newspaper article published on April 13th, 1789 said that the day had its origins when he sent the raven off too early, before the waters had receded. He did this on the first day of the Hebrew month that corresponds with April.[3] A possible reference to April Fools' Day can be seen in the Canterbury Tales (ca 1400) in the Nun's Priest's tale, a tale of two fools: Chanticleer and the fox, which took place on March 32nd.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
This is sappy but...every year on April's Fool Day  my Dad would look out the window and say there was a parade coming down the street and every year I would fall for the ruse and run to the window to look for the parade that wasn't there as he would say April Fools.  It's one of those happy sad memories of my Dad. 

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The penguin video is great.  I would almost believe that one, it is done so well.  I love the scene where the little guys are taking off.  The iceberg is the only thing that really looks fake. 

Penguins are just the cutest things.  I wonder if they get sunburned when they spend the summer in the tropics?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
LaraAmber said:
Don't forget gmail's newest feature, autopilot.

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/autopilot/index.html

Lara Amber
ohhh!!! That was hilarious!!

I need to clean Pepsi off my screen again!

"What happens if a sender and recipient both have Autopilot on?

Two Gmail accounts can happily converse with each other for up to three messages each. Beyond that, our experiments have shown a significant decline in the quality ranking of Autopilot's responses and further messages may commit you to dinner parties or baby namings in which you have no interest.
"

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have to confess that my 11 year old son got me this morning with the old "rubber band around the kitchen sink sprayer" trick. :-[

COLD water all over me, the cabinets and floor before I turned it off.  (Hey, it was early and I hadn't had my coffee yet!) :)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Mom of 4 said:
I have to confess that my 11 year old son got me this morning with the old "rubber band around the kitchen sink sprayer" trick. :-[

COLD water all over me, the cabinets and floor before I turned it off. (Hey, it was early and I hadn't had my coffee yet!) :)
Done that before....next year you better double check for this again. He may switch to clear tape just in case you check for a rubber band. lol ;D

I didn't get up early enough to put clear wrap over the toilet...yes cruel and messy I know. Still I never got a chance to do it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts