Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've read in some posts that other people share their amazon account with family and friends and use gift cards to buy their own books. Does anyone know how they do it? I'm sharing an account with my friend and I just want a simple way for us to pay for our own books. Thanks.  ;D

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
libros_lego said:
So I've read in some posts that other people share their amazon account with family and friends and use gift cards to buy their own books. Does anyone know how they do it? I'm sharing an account with my friend and I just want a simple way for us to pay for our own books. Thanks. ;D
I'm interested in this answer also. I want to share an account with my niece and my sister-in-law and don't want it to get complicated.

Now to complicate it: I also want to know if my sister-in-law de-registers her Kindle from her account and re-registers it on mine, does she lose all the books she has purchased on her account?

·
Super Moderator
67,487 Posts
I am a solo Kindle owner, but if I were to share with someone, there would have to be some ground rules.  The thing is, if one buys a book, it's available to both.  But what if the other doesn't want to read it. . .you need to sort out who's responsible for paying for things only one of you will ever read.

One can have more than one CC registered at Amazon.  If all purchasing is via computer it's easy to change the payment method.  But you would have to have a moratorium on buying from the Kindle, because that's a 'one click' thing and you can't change the card info currently up.  And maybe you or your friend doesn't want to expose their (his/her?) info on someone else's account.  Just things you have to work out.

If your tastes are generally very similar, you could take turns buying gift cards which will automatically be used first.  Either way someone has to take responsibility, I would think, for keeping track of who orders what.  If we each put a $25 GC on the account, but I'm the only one 'buying' books with it, you might get annoyed.  And vice versa.

Leslie has apparently been very successful with sharing with a friend on the other side of the country.  I'm sure she'll chime in here when she gets to this thread.

I'm still waiting for the Judge Judy case:  my ex-best friend ran up my credit card buying books on her Kindle!  :D

Ann

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Leslie chiming in!

First off, I always have a GC balance on my account because I get the certificates from my Amazon visa card.

Second, none of the people on my account (my children or my friend) know my login or password. So the only way the others can buy Kindle books is 1) from their Kindles or 2) to ask me to buy a book and send it to them.

For my kids, of course I am going to pay for their books. I'm mom, that's what I do.

For my friend -- we've sort of come to a loose agreement. She likes sci fi which I never read, so if she buys those sorts of books, she pays me back via PayPal. Likewise, I buy books that's she'll never look at, but in that case, it's just like buying books for myself.

We do have books where our tastes overlap and for those, we sort of "divvy up" the buying. For example, she's been on a tear reading all the Outlander books. She bought all six but paid for three (well, paid me back).

We've had this set up since last June and so far, it is working fine and we're still friends.  :D

L

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I have my son and my mom on my account.  My son is reading books I've already purchased.  If he finds something he wants that I will never read then he takes his change to Coinstar, gets a GC and adds the money back to my account.  He has my login and password. 
My mom also has access to all of the my previously purchased books, but she does not have my login or password.  Her taste in reading is completely different than my own.  She also is purchasing GCs and will give me the info so I can add it to my account.  So far we have had no difficulties.  We each keep track of what we have bought, and the cost.
deb

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if you buy from the kindle you can't choose which payment method you want?

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
No. 

Edit: Thank you, Ann, for elaborating.  I am terrible at explaining in a coherent manner. 
deb

·
Super Moderator
67,487 Posts
To elaborate, libros, buying from the Kindle is 'one click'.  Whatever CC is currently the one tied to the One Click button at Amazon, is the card that will be charged.  Except if there is a Gift Card balance, in which case, that is always used first for book purchases.

Ann

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
My daughter and I share an account. We each have a credit card on the account. Whenever we want to buy books, we just go to the Manage Your Kindle page and switch to our own credit card before buying books. I travel a lot, so she usually just switches the credit card back to mine when she finishes. That way if I need to buy a book in the airport I can use the whispernet without a problem. It has worked wonderfully for us. I thought I would be buying a lot more books, because I'm Mom and a soft touch, but it hasn't been bad at all.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I share my account with my best friend.  We each contribute GCs to the account, and I keep track of the purchases and "deposits".  If it's a book we both want, we just decide between us whose turn it is to purchase it.  Otherwise, it counts against the personal balance.  I only really care about books over $4 - the cheap ones aren't worth worry about whose "turn" it is - I'll buy them if I'm interested and if she wants to read them, no biggie.

She does have my login, but I also have her credit card information and access to funds of hers (she's currently in Australia and often needs me to purchase things for her).  If it weren't someone I trusted like her, it would be a different matter.  But she can't purchase through WN unless she's visiting home here, and she has her own Amazon account for other things.

It works out, but needs to be with someone you know well, and with whom you are comfortable dealing with financial things.  We'd considered putting other friends on the account as well, but realized there weren't many people we really trusted to that level.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I'm with BurBunny - My cousin is on my Amazon account and since she is taking care of my back-up we have access to the same books.  I am not worried about her buying anything (although she has bought one book) because there is a whole lot to read.  She has put a GC on "our" account so I'll keep tabs on whatever I buy and she will probably do the same.  Since we are in Mexico that is why she is on our credit cards, bank accounts, etc.  You do need to have someone you trust completely though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts