Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Kindle 2 last week and took it on a week long trip with me.  It's amazing!  No more newspapers in my tote bag, no more books stashed everywhere in my luggage.  I love it!

My husband saw it for the first time and was very interested.  He might be interested in one also. 

Here is my question.......can we share our books if we use the same Amazon account?  Or could I have two Kindles registered in my name, one of which would be his, but the same books on both?

I know I couldn't shared them with a friend who has a Kindle but is there a way of doing it so we can share an account?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so if he buys a Kindle 2 and we use my Amazon account to do so and register it with my name, we can share everything in my Kindle library except newspapers and magazines, etc.?

So in my Amazon account I would have both Kindles listed.  So if we wanted the Wall Street Journal, how could I direct it to his Kindle?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
When you order something for your Kindle, you will see a drop-down list of Kindles. You choose from the list.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So are you saying I would send it to both, that is, Kindle # 1 and Kindle # 2?

If I have two Kindles registered in my name everything I bought would go to both as long as they are on the same Amazon account?

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
That's how you designate which Kindle a subscription is to go to.  You cannot share a subscription.  Presumably you can buy a subscription for each Kindle?  I haven't tried that yet.

Books will go to the default Kindle, although you can either go to Manage My Kindle on Amazon and "push" them to a specific Kindle by the same method shown in Kathy's email.  Or, use Content Manager on either Kindle to download books that are in the account's media library (at least that's the way it works on the K1).

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,253 Posts
I think the way it works is this:  On Amazon, you buy a book and can choose which Kindle to send it to.  You pick Kindle A.  It's there for reading.  Or, alternatively, you could purchase it directly from Kindle A.  Either way, on Kindle B, it will show in Content Manger or Archive as being a book the account owns, though it won't be on the Home page as one that is actually on that device.  So you could then go back to Amazon and send it to Kindle B using Your Media Library, or select it and download it directly using Kindle B.

Subscriptions, as Betsy mentions, work differently since you can't really share them.

Caveat:  I only have 1 Kindle, but this is my understanding based on information from various sources, mostly here!

Ann

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Either way, on Kindle B, it will show in Content Manger
But only at Christmas time.

::)

Betsy
(I make that same typo all the time, LOL!)

·
Registered
469 Posts
All book purchases through Amazon can be loaded onto both Kindles, you just have to either go into your account and send it to the other Kindle. You only pay for the book once.

You can add up to 6 Kindle to your account. So if you can work out book purchases through another person, all of the kindles on your account can then access book purchases free.

There are other threads on this board with families that share multiple Kindles on one account and it works well.

Once you have the other kindles on your account it will be easy to see either in the Manage your Kindle area in your Amazon account or directly on the contents manager on the kindle screen how to get them on each Kindle.

·
Super Moderator
67,253 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
But only at Christmas time.

::)

Betsy
(I make that same typo all the time, LOL!)
No, see, it's 'cause my district Manager at work, really is more like a manger. . . .filled with not much else than straw and/or animal leavings. LOL! :D

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
BayouPointe, you've gotten good advise here.  jJust one reminder - make sure that if you and your husband are reading the same book on two different K2's, you have 'Sync to Furthest Page Read' turned off or you will be going to each other's last page every time you open a book.  That is done on the Manage Your Kindle page.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
DD said:
BayouPointe, you've gotten good advise here. jJust one reminder - make sure that if you and your husband are reading the same book on two different K2's, you have 'Sync to Furthest Page Read' turned off or you will be going to each other's last page every time you open a book. That is done on the Manage Your Kindle page.
I don't know if they changed it but mine asks now if I want to sync to furthest page read. It tells me that the furthest page read is 4954 on Bella, do I want to sync to that location. I can always click no.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
I don't know if they changed it but mine asks now if I want to sync to furthest page read. It tells me that the furthest page read is 4954 on Bella, do I want to sync to that location. I can always click no.
I'll have to check that out again, luv. I haven't done it in recently. It was just automatically doing it for a while. Maybe that's one of the hidden changes in our mysterious updates? ???

·
Registered
135 Posts
My mom and daughter and I all share an account. I do all the buying (because my DM and DD always just borrowed my books anyway) and send the books to them from my account. From the descriptions of how to do it, it might seem a little complicated, but Amazon has really made it very easy.  I don't subscribe to any magazines or newspapers, though, so I can't help you there. 

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
DD said:
I'll have to check that out again, luv. I haven't done it in recently. It was just automatically doing it for a while. Maybe that's one of the hidden changes in our mysterious updates? ???
Nope, is was doing it before the update. I've been using my iPhone app more and more lately and the Sync feature has been very nice. I'm really amazed at how easy it is to read from device to device.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts