Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I share books?  If I and a friend both purchase kindles can we trade books like we do with hardbacks now?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
You need to have your Kindles registered on the same account. That is the only way you can share books.

L

·
Registered
146 Posts
And so it begins.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who ever had that poll going was way off when they predicted Nov. 31st.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I have two words for people who want to share books:

PUBLIC LIBRARY

That's where I do all of my sharing. And where I took all of my paper books when I decided there was no way I was ever going to read them again. The nice thing about it is, if I do decide to read one of them again, I can head right back to the library.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
This is the way I look at it: I buy books for myself for my own entertainment. I don't buy a book with the intention of sharing it.

A Kindle book, at $9.99 (or maybe less) is about the price of a movie ticket. Now, if you went to the movies, could you give anyone that ticket afterwards? No. All you could do is tell people about how much or liked (or not) the movie and suggest they see it. A Kindle book is the same idea: $10 for entertainment that is going to keep you busy for a few hours or days.

If people are in a book club reading a book, don't all the members of the book club have to buy the book? The club doesn't buy one book and pass it around. Everyone buys their own and they read, then discuss. So if you enjoy reading the same books as your friend, then the friend shouldn't object to having to buy a book.

The only way you can share books on the Kindle is to have all the Kindle owners on the same account. While that can work just fine (I have four Kindles on my account) there is the issue of having a credit card on the account, having people make unauthorized purchases, etc.

If you really really can't get beyond the sharing issue, maybe the Kindle isn't the right device for you.

L

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you buy a book at a bookstore, what do you do with it when you are done?  Do you save it forever, or burn it so no one else can ever read it?  You probably either keep it or loan or give it to someone else.  Why should we not have the same rights with Kindle books?  If we were paying a LOT less than Amazon's price for a hard copy of the book, there may be a reasonable case, but in many cases Kindle books cost nearly the same as the Amazon hard copy price, and in several cases that I have come across recently, the Kindle version actually costs more.  Digital Rights Management does not only pertain to the publisher; purchasers also have rights that we are not being given by Amazon.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Why should we not have the same rights with Kindle books?
The ability to pass around paper books is a property of their physicality. It was never intentioned that commercially-published books be exchanged and stored and shared, but since publishers can't prevent it, they just have to live with it. The profit margins on commercial publication have historically been high enough to support this business model.

eBooks are different, because publishers no longer have to deal with the physicality of books. If you want to share them, find a company with a business model that allows it, or pay the premium and get a paper copy.

·
Registered
205 Posts
uny said:
How can I share books? If I and a friend both purchase kindles can we trade books like we do with hardbacks now?
Swap Kindles - or:

Buy Nooks instead and use their LendMe feature which allows you to lend your copy to another Nook. While it's loaned out, you won't be able to read it on your Nook; which is quite fair. But, it also comes with some pretty harsh restrictions which are totally asinine:

1- it's only available on books that the publisher has approved and not all books have been approved
2- there's a 14-day limit on the loan period and it's not renewable
3- that book can only be loaned out once and never again; not even to a different person

All in all, that feature is pretty worthless. Swapping Kindles is a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
tubemonkey said:
Swap Kindles - or:

Buy Nooks instead and use their LendMe feature which allows you to lend your copy to another Nook. While it's loaned out, you won't be able to read it on your Nook; which is quite fair. But, it also comes with some pretty harsh restrictions which are totally asinine:

1- it's only available on books that the publisher has approved and not all books have been approved
2- there's a 14-day limit on the loan period and it's not renewable
3- that book can only be loaned out once and never again; not even to a different person

All in all, that feature is pretty worthless. Swapping Kindles is a whole lot easier.
I didn't know the Nook allowed you to "loan" a book to someone, even with those ridiculous restrictions. But they definitely have the right idea! That's a great feature. I wonder if they've kept track of people's ebook lending practices. Is it really widespread?

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Or be willing to add friends and fmaily to your Kindle account, load books on their Kindle, and then deregister them. You have just shared your book.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts