Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and two sons are considering getting Kindles as I have one and have been urging them to do it.
I know that you can have up to six Kindles on one account and the three of them are interested in sharing an account so they can read the same books.  (I'm not included as we have totally different tastes  ;D).
My questions:
Can a purchased book only be on one Kindle at a time?
I assume that each person would have their own login and therefore the book would be downloaded to the correct Kindle on the account.  Is that correct?
Are the books transferred from one Kindle to the next through the Amazon archiving system?  In other words deleted from one Kindle and stored at Amazon and them transferred to another Kindle on the account?  Do you do this with the USB connection? (I have not yet had to do this on my own Kindle).

They are not so much concerned with sharing the cost as was discussed on another thread.  They just want to clarify these other issues.
Thanks,
Judith

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Can a purchased book only be on one Kindle at a time? No they can be on all of the registered devices at the same time.

I assume that each person would have their own login and therefore the book would be downloaded to the correct Kindle on the account. Is that correct? No, it's a single account with a single login if using the computer; however, the books can be downloaded from the account to the Kindle from within the Kindle and no login is required since the Kindle is registered to the account.

Are the books transferred from one Kindle to the next through the Amazon archiving system? Yes, in a sense. All books are stored in the Amazon Media Library for that account, but as said above, they can be on all the registered Kindles at the samne time.

Do you do this with the USB connection? (I have not yet had to do this on my own Kindle).[blue]You can do it via the compuer and the USB, but with Whispernet is much easier. You can also, from the computer, designate books to "send" to a particular Kindle next time Whispernet is on.[/blue]

Betsy

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I assume that each person would have their own login and therefore the book would be downloaded to the correct Kindle on the account. Is that correct? No, it's a single account with a single login if using the computer; however, the books can be downloaded from the account to the Kindle from within the Kindle and no login is required since the Kindle is registered to the account.
Just to expand on what Betsy said a little, when you purchase a book you can select which Kindle to send it to from a drop-down menu underneath the 1-Click button. You have this on your account, too, although there is probably only one option (your Kindle) on it. Of course once the book has been purchased, as previously stated, you can go ahead and "push" it to the other Kindles from the Manage Your Kindle page on the account, or they can "pull" it from the Archive from their individual Kindles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much, Betsy and Marianner.  I appreciate your answers.  I am sure they will all be getting their Kindles now.  Should I be jealous that they will all have a K2 and I have a K1? 

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Nah, as my brother said when I asked him if he'd rather have a K2 than the K1 I bought him for Christmas:  "There's nothing that can be read on a K2 that I can't read on my K1."  Just different.  You've got a Klassic!

Betsy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts