Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In our family I have read books then passed them to my husband for him to enjou. Now that everything I read is on my Kindle we're sort of stuck. He's running out of the books that I read last year and put in his "Must Read" pile. He obviously needs a Kindle- is there a way for me to transfer my ebooks in my kindle to his kindle?  I read somewhere that there was a way to "lend" kindle books to friends and family for 2 week periods....

Many thanks!
gera in Canada

·
Registered
493 Posts
If you put your husband's Kindle on your same account, he'll have access to all of your (purchased from Amazon) books.  Outside of the "sharing for 2 weeks" feature, all books in a Kindle account can be read on up to 6 (I think?) devices registered to that account.  The only issue will be that if you are reading the same book at the same time, you should turn off your wireless, so it doesn't "sync" both devices to the furthest page read.  (Which will be farther than one of you has read unless you read at the exact same speed!)

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
If he gets his own Kindle, you can just register it to your account.  Then he can read any of the books you've already bought for it.  My brother and I share an account this way. . .works great and purchasing is even easier if you're married. . . bro and I had to work out a 'buy me a gift card to pay for the books you bought' thing -- but it's working great!  There's no limit to how many devices can be registered to one account. . . .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Like the others mentioned, sharing seems like a good solution.

If that's not for you, then there is a way to remove the DRM protection, but I'm not sure if that's legal. I don't see why not though, because it's not illegal to pass on a physical book.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like he'll be reading again!... thanks everyone- I'll get him a Kindle today!

cheers!
gera

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
dpinmd said:
The only issue will be that if you are reading the same book at the same time, you should turn off your wireless, so it doesn't "sync" both devices to the furthest page read. (Which will be farther than one of you has read unless you read at the exact same speed!)
You don't have to turn off the wireless. Just turn off Sync Devices on your Amazon account and it will not set the furthest page read. You'll need the wireless on to get books from Amazon onto the Kindle!

Mike

·
Registered
347 Posts
boquet said:
Like the others mentioned, sharing seems like a good solution.

If that's not for you, then there is a way to remove the DRM protection, but I'm not sure if that's legal. I don't see why not though, because it's not illegal to pass on a physical book.
Removing the DRM is illegal in the United States, even for personal use. For an ebook, you are merely purchasing a non-transferable license to access the ebook on whatever system(s) accepts that DRM. For a physical book, the First Sale Doctrine basically gives you the right to do whatever you want with it (there are some obvious exceptions such as distributing photocopies.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you want, when you get it, jailbreak it and install the custom screensaver option. Then load it with some of his favourite screen savers and books.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts