Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!  My dear hubby just bought me a new kindle2 for mother's day and I am waiting for it's arrival.  I have been reading kindle books on my ipod touch and he on his iphone, so I have an idea about how sharing kindle books works..

Here is the question....Can I share a kindle book with one of the kids (on their ipod touch, at this point) with out giving them access to my whole library and also giving them purchase power?    I would rather the kids didn't have access to ALL my books, just the ones I want to share with them.  How much access will they have to my kindle account if I send them a book? 

Thanks!!

Lara

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
They will have access to every Kindle book you have purchased through their iPod if you add the iPod to your account. However, it may be possible for you to deregister the iPod after sending them the book, removing the access to the other books, while retaining any books you downloaded. I don't think anyone has tested that yet.

They cannot purchase any new books; the Kindle application for the iPod does not include a purchasing option.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
If the child has the Kindle app on his/her iTouch, when they go to "archived items" they will have access to all the books in your library. However, buying books would be a different issue. Since you have to use the browser to buy books from the iPhone/iTouch (you can't buy from within the Kindle store), the purchaser would need to have your login and password to buy anything. If you don't give that out, purchasing is essentially disabled. But they would be able to look at your entire Amazon library, including the bodice and codpiece rippers.  ;D ;D ::) ;)

L

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies!!

But, it's not what I wanted to hear...since I definitely plan to have books on my kindle that I don't want my 11 year old daughter to know about... ;)  :eek:

Any other ideas on how to get around it?

Lara

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
However, it may be possible for you to deregister the iPod after sending them the book, removing the access to the other books, while retaining any books you downloaded. I don't think anyone has tested that yet.
I think this is what luvmy4brats does. She'll probably pop in later to tell you her experience.

·
Registered
277 Posts
when my friend de-registered her kindle and we registered it to my account all the books she had perviously bought were there, so if you want to give your child books and then deregister it should work.

·
Registered
400 Posts
modkindle said:
when my friend de-registered her kindle and we registered it to my account all the books she had perviously bought were there, so if you want to give your child books and then deregister it should work.
That's a great idea. Is that likely to raise any Amazonian eyebrows if done repeatedly? I mean, if I register my son's iPod to my account, download the few kid books I bought for him onto his iPod, and then deregister the iPod, one time, I'm sure that's fine. But if I do it, say, weekly, so that I can put a new book on there every week or something - is someone going to be upset about it?

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Heather, aka luvmy4brats, registers and deregisters all the time.  (I hope that's who does it.)
She has never had a problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts