Kindle Forum banner

SHARING: this with ALL of YOU...

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Meredith Sinclair 
#1 ·
I took this from the what bumped your day today thread to share with everyone.

BOATERS:
When in doubt; stay out. If it looks rough, it IS even rougher. Just because you wear a life jacket, doesn't mean that you are safe!!

An acquaintance capsized his boat today (Sat 6-20)...and my husband went after him.
Saved were: man, boat, but not motor. A new motor is a very small price to pay. Glad all ended OK. Had the boat clocked him one, it WOULDN'T have been...or if the waves had crashed him into the huge rocks! Yikes.

He lost his eyeglasses, his cell phone is junk...but again, small prices to pay. No lobster trap is worth it.

EVERYONE...have a fun but SAFE summer. Use good judgement. Accidents happen when we least expect them...

#2 ·
Thanks for the reminder, sjc. Every now and then we forget we (guys especially) are not imortal and do something stupid that were we to think all the consequences through, would never attempt. As you said, what your acquaintance lost was small things, his family would have been devestated.

#3 ·
Intinst: You are right.

The funny thing is: his wife said don't go...you might capsize. He went anyway...
The moral of the story: Men should listen to their WIVES!!

My husband goes each night after work; but, if it's even remotely rough, he doesn't bother and comes home.

#4 ·
Such a good reminder sjc.
I enjoy time out on my boat as much as the next person,but,I will not take chances.So if it seems remotely iffy I don't take the boat out.
Life can be stressful enough,why go into a situation that could be dangerous when it can be totally avoided.

#6 ·
Great advice. My husband and I are very cautious taking our boat out. On a side note to the story, we had a friend jump in after someone and both drowned. Once he got to the drowning women he couldn't get back to his boat. If you see someone in the water, pick up anything that floats and throw it to them. Always have a life ring with a long line on it to throw. When someone is drowning they will pull you under trying to get out of the water.

Safe boating :)

#7 ·
There are a lot of accidents during the summer not only on boats, be careful when driving also

Don't drink and drive

Thanks

#10 ·
This also seems like a good place to remind all you cyclists to ALWAYS wear helmets... don't say that you only go eight miles an hour and can't get seriously hurt....  a few years ago DD's dad was riding his bike on an eight-foot-wide shoulder lane, dead-straight road, sunny day, light traffic, with a neon-orange flag on his bike....  and a truck driver fell asleep and veered off the road and hit him.  So at the time of truck/cyclist impact he might have been going along at a leisurely pace, but at the moment of cyclist/ditch impact it was well over 50 mph.  Broken fibula, multiple broken ribs resulting in a punctured lung, shattered elbow, TBI, and (much later diagnosed) PTSD....  but the bike helmet saved his life.  It was cracked in fourteen places.   

DD was just five months old at the time.    Be nice to your family  --  wear your helmet.

#11 ·
Susan: Similar story...not so lucky. Guy was in his last year of residency to become a doctor. Was cycling to work, wearing helmet and even though he was wearing the helmet: he is slow today from the trauma to his head. So sad. The worst is the driver of the van took off. He would have made a fine doctor.

#12 ·
sjc said:
Susan: Similar story...not so lucky. Guy was in his last year of residency to become a doctor. Was cycling to work, wearing helmet and even though he was wearing the helmet: he is slow today from the trauma to his head. So sad. The worst is the driver of the van took off. He would have made a fine doctor.
I remember reading about that in the news! (Perhaps as one of the lingering effects of PTSD, DD's dad now reads and points out to me every single news report anywhere about cyclists being hit. This was a particularly sad one.) Was this someone you know?

#13 ·
Yes, he's actually a very good friend of my Godmother and her husband.  He was in their wedding party.  He is from RI and his name is Bobby.  He is a wonderful guy.  Now he has poor short term memory and his speech is a bit off. 

#14 ·
And I don't even want to begin (but I will) on the people who jump into empty swimming pools.

I have a young man who is now a friend who did that at his High School graduation.

He has been in a powered wheel chair ever since.

Just sayin....

#15 ·
And don't forget the dangers of driving when you are tired. Lost a good friend in High School who tried to drive home at 3 in the morning, fell asleep and crashed. He was anounced brain dead and his parents had to shut down life support. He would have graduated that year with honors. His organs did save two others, so that was at least something.
Don't drink and drive, drive while tired, or allow anything (like your cell phone) to distract you while driving!

#17 ·
MAGreen:    So so sad to think what an ounce of prevention could spare.  Parents should never have to bury a child.  It is something so unbearable.  Kids think we talk just to waste air.  I pray for my kids' safety every night.  I don't sleep until they're in bed.  Somtimes I'm up until 3 even if they get home around one. I'm so wound up that I don't start to doze until much later. 

#18 ·
Susan in VA said:
This also seems like a good place to remind all you cyclists to ALWAYS wear helmets... don't say that you only go eight miles an hour and can't get seriously hurt.... a few years ago DD's dad was riding his bike on an eight-foot-wide shoulder lane, dead-straight road, sunny day, light traffic, with a neon-orange flag on his bike.... and a truck driver fell asleep and veered off the road and hit him. So at the time of truck/cyclist impact he might have been going along at a leisurely pace, but at the moment of cyclist/ditch impact it was well over 50 mph. Broken fibula, multiple broken ribs resulting in a punctured lung, shattered elbow, TBI, and (much later diagnosed) PTSD.... but the bike helmet saved his life. It was cracked in fourteen places.
DD was just five months old at the time. Be nice to your family -- wear your helmet.
Wow! That was scary for all of you Susan! We have also had awakenings within one year and four days both my husband and myself totalled our cars! Neither were our faults & both accidents occured within three miles from our home. Please wear your seat belts and keep children in the back seats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.