Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got my kindle years ago and came on these boards, somebody recommended Shelfari for a book journal.  Previously I just had a word document listing my reads and reviews.  Shelfari looked GREAT!  So I one by one transferred over all my book information to Shelfari. 

Now, most of my friends are using Goodreads.  Plus, I logged into bookcrossing today, haven't done that in years either, and they have an option to link to goodreads.  Furthermore, I tried incorporating Shelfari into my high school English classes that I teach... but most of the students didn't like it because they had difficulty finding me or the group I had set up.

But Shelfari LOOKS SO NICE!  I love the bookshelf set-up!  (Although, recently they've started changing book covers from what I had previously chosen). 

So what are your thoughts of each (or the one you use)?  Pros/cons?  I'm thinking of switching... but don't want to transfer all those books over AGAIN :)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I use both.  I prefer the beautiful book shelf appearance of Shelfari as well.  It also annoys me when the covers are absent or have changed. :(.  I think Goodreads is linked to Amazon, so your books might automatically transfer. 

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting to use both... how come? 

Linking to amazon would be a small added bonus, but in the grand scheme of things I wouldn't be able to link much.  I've been keeping track since 9th grade and I'm 35 now.  There's over 400 books on my list.

·
Registered
344 Posts
As a new author I opted to create profiles for both, but have neglected Shelfari. As a reader, use what you are comfortable with.  As an author, Shelfari will allow you to add more info to your author page, book pages etc from Shelfari.  I haven't had time to do much with that, but should make time, since anything that separates you from the masses is a good thing.  Would like to hear from other readers and authors what they think.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Shelfari does have the option to automatically add books you purchase from Amazon but I think more people prefer goodreads. Librarything is also an option, but it (at least to me) seems way more confusing.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have used Goodreads almost exclusively. Many readers have posted reviews of my books there (which I really appreciate!) and I can interact easily with readers and other authors.

I set up a Shelfari account and it was so dormant that I no longer even bother to login to it. Goodreads seems to work for me.

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
I have accounts at all three. Goodreads, shelfari and librarything. I think Shelfari was even first. I only really use goodreads though. Main reason is that I cannot create shelves on Shelfari. At least I could never figure out how. I have over 50 shelfs on goodreads. I like to sort my books by more than just read, to read and reading.
I have 3500 books listed, I could not do without some organizing. That is why I switched over to goodreads in the first place.
I find it easier to navigate and find what I am looking for and I prefer the database. I also prefer how its set up to follow and friend people. Now I have used it for so long I am not going to switch. Just the thought of organizing 3500 books all over again makes me twitch.  :eek:

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'd love a good tutorial on how to use GoodReads as an author.  Sounds like readers use it to catalog books, which is awesome.  As a reviewer that might be a good way to track books that have been submitted to me to read so that I can actually track them better.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I am on both Shelfari and Goodreads, but I find more interaction and more active groups on Goodreads.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use Goodreads more frequently, though I have a place on Shelfari. I didn't get a chance - before work started back - to get too into Shelfari, so I'll have to explore that some more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts