Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a request for friendship on Shelfari by tecwritr here on the Kindle Boards.  While reviewing his shelf I noticed a review for "Scarpetta" by Patrica Cornwell.  His review wasn't good so I'll avoid buying it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I recommend all of you join Shelfari.  Here's my very brief review:

"I have read most of the Scarpetta mysteries and this one was a disappointment. I knew who the killer was before I was half way through the book."  What it comes down to is - if you read a lot of mysteries like those from Cornwell, Kellerman, Patterson, etc., you too will know who the bad guys is very quickly.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sorry but I disagree.  I think that Scarpetti is the best that Cornwell has written in sometime.  I do agree that I knew who the killer was early in the book.  However how they go on to prove who did and how everyone fit in was a good story.  I bought it, read it and will read it again.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I have to agree with you tc. Shelfari is no different than reading a book review in a magazine, on Amazon, in a newspaper, etc. You are going to have mixed reviews, some reader's will love it, some reader's won't like it. A review is an opinion and just because I read a negative review doesn't mean that I will not decide for myself whether to read or not read the book. I too am a member of Shelfari.

I am referring to reviews in general tecwriter not *your* review.  :)  A negative review doesn't keep me from getting a sample and making the decision for myself. Another reason I love my Kindle, although samples are not 100% guarantee either.

Linda

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tecwritr said:
I recommend all of you join Shelfari.
I recommend as you go adding your books on Shelfari to add tags. If you visit my bookshelf you will see below the shelf all the tags. I add one for Kindle too. Also I add the first and last name of the author and the first letter of the author's last name as a tag.

John, I think you would like Kathy Reichs' books. In real life she's a forensic anthropologist. There is relationships that develop in her books so I would start with Deja Dead.

http://www.kathyreichs.com/

Deja Dead

Kathy Reichs blasts into Patricia Cornwell territory -- and onto the New York Times bestseller list -- with this critically acclaimed debut novel inspired by Reichs' own career. Dr. Temperance Brennan, the wry, impassioned director of forensic anthropology for the province of Quebec, is driven to unravel shocking acts of violence by reading the bones of the dead.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you are into forensic mysteries, Leonard Goldberg is very good as well.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm enjoying the Kathy Reichs series.  I have all of them on my Kindle and am doling them out to myself little by little. :)

I enjoy the Bones tv series also, and it is based on these books.  Loosely based, but based.

Sharyn

·
Registered
249 Posts
tc said:
Sorry but I disagree. I think that Scarpetti is the best that Cornwell has written in sometime. I do agree that I knew who the killer was early in the book. However how they go on to prove who did and how everyone fit in was a good story. I bought it, read it and will read it again.
I will have to agree that Cornwell redeemed herself in the last part of the book. I just didn't like knowing who the bad guy was before I was half way through the book.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Avalon3 said:
I recommend as you go adding your books on Shelfari to add tags. If you visit my bookshelf you will see below the shelf all the tags. I add one for Kindle too. Also I add the first and last name of the author and the first letter of the author's last name as a tag.
Good Shelfari tips!

Betsy

·
Registered
249 Posts
sharyn said:
I'm enjoying the Kathy Reichs series. I have all of them on my Kindle and am doling them out to myself little by little. :)

I enjoy the Bones tv series also, and it is based on these books. Loosely based, but based.

Sharyn
I believe I have read some of Reichs books. I'll have to look at some of the synopsis to be sure.

Sharyn, I used to be a big CSI (not CSI Miami) fan. But now I've turned to Bones, Numbers and NCIS. As for CSI Miami, I think that David Caruso is one of the most over rated actors on TV.

·
Registered
364 Posts
tecwritr said:
Sharyn, I used to be a big CSI (not CSI Miami) fan. But now I've turned to Bones, Numbers and NCIS. As for CSI Miami, I think that David Caruso is one of the most over rated actors on TV.
I think you're right, tecwritr. I used to like him in NYPD Blue a gazillion years ago, but he didn't hold up when he went to CSI.

Sharyn

·
Registered
364 Posts
Dragoro said:
I get all kinds of warnings from my anti virus and spyware programs when I go to shelfari. Think Ill skip that site.
I don't know what software you're using, but I have AVG antivirus and Mozilla and have never had a warning from Shelfari. I think it's a good site.

Sharyn

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
tecwritr said:
I believe I have read some of Reichs books. I'll have to look at some of the synopsis to be sure.

I enjoy NCIS with Mark Harmon. I was a big CSI fan until all the main characters started leaving the show, Sarah, Warrick, ...Grisom, that did it for me. My hubby is a big Bones fan. Never could get into NY and Miami CSI. ??? ???

Linda

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Hmm, not familiar with that plugin, it's by a third party, not Mozilla itself or one of the major anti-virus players.

Here's what it says in its description:
WOT combines evidence collected from multiple trusted sources, like phishing and spam blacklists, with the ratings provided by WOT users.

McAfee's website approval filter gives Shelfari a green light.

I think you might want to give WOT a little more research.  Bear in mind that the settings for any of these can cause safe sites to pop up as suspect...

Betsy

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I love Kathy Reichs!  The characters in the books are completely different than the TV show, but I love both.  I used to read Patricia Cornwell, but they just got too depressing.  I actually found a Kindle book based on the TV show, that wasn't bad.

The Diane Fallon books, by Beverly Connor are also great (forensic stuff), but not available on Kindle yet.  The next one coming out in February is supposed to be available for Kindle.   I read them in DTB versions.

In a similar vein, but archeology, are the Emma Fielding books, by Dana Cameron.  It looks like several of those are available in Kindle editions.

I have seen stuff on Shelfari that wasn't legal (e.g. scanned copies of stuff not legally available in digital format), but they will remove that stuff if you report it.  I would be a bit cautious about Shelfari, since anyone can put anything there.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Shelfari is owned by Amazon.com. I doubt they want to infect anyone with spyware. This is likely why you got the warning:

Wikipedia said:
Shelfari has received bad press for its "Invite Friends" page. Jesse Wegman, writing in The New York Observer in October 2007, complained that because he had "accidentally failed to uncheck the approximately 1,500 names in my Gmail address book that Shelfari had helpfully pre-checked", the system caused invitations to be sent, contrary to his intentions but "ostensibly" from his own address, to his entire network of contacts.[4] In November 2007, Shelfari was accused of astroturfing by Tim Spalding, the creator of LibraryThing, a competing social networking book site.[5] In a comment on another blog critical of Shelfari (primarily criticizing the "invitations" system), Josh Hug, the CEO, blamed the astroturfing on an intern not knowing better, and said that it had stopped.[6]

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
SusanCassidy said:
I love Kathy Reichs! The characters in the books are completely different than the TV show, but I love both. I used to read Patricia Cornwell, but they just got too depressing. I actually found a Kindle book based on the TV show, that wasn't bad.

The Diane Fallon books, by Beverly Connor are also great (forensic stuff), but not available on Kindle yet. The next one coming out in February is supposed to be available for Kindle. I read them in DTB versions.

In a similar vein, but archeology, are the Emma Fielding books, by Dana Cameron. It looks like several of those are available in Kindle editions.

I have seen stuff on Shelfari that wasn't legal (e.g. scanned copies of stuff not legally available in digital format), but they will remove that stuff if you report it. I would be a bit cautious about Shelfari, since anyone can put anything there.
I've enjoyed the Kathy Reichs books that I've read. Interesting to hear of Dana Cameron. Here's a link to the first Emma Fielding:

I haven't spent much time on Shelfari; I thought it was mostly a social networking site for booklovers, hadn't looked at anything that could be downloaded. My shelf only has about 3 books so far, LOL! I suppose it has apps, like Facebook does, that you can install--always need to be carefull about those!

Betsy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts