Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all authors and readers who love to write and read about Sherlock Holmes. I just published "SHERLOCK HOLMES and the Flying Machine" http://amazon.com/dp/B00AX853YC. If you like reading about Sherlock Holmes, and things aeronautical interest you, this is the ebook for you! Only $3.99.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sherlock Holmes, Doctor John Watson and all the other characters created with such success by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, are in the public domain. I have published five Sherlock Holmes based ebooks, and you are invited to write on this subject. Sherlock Holmes is the world's best known detective, and your writing about him will sell. My titles are marketed on Amazon.com, BandN.com, Kobo.com, and my own site Philduke.weebly.com (buy one get one free).
Most popular is "Jack the Ripper versus Sherlock Holmes" http://amazon.com/dp/B008BX0C2Y
Most recent is "Sherlock Holmes and the Flying Machine" http://amazon.com/dp/B00AX853YC
If you like detective story mysteries, read or write Sherlock Holmes.
Good reading, and good luck with many sales, for your SHERLOCK HOLMES story or book.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
This probably ought to be in the Book Bazaar rather than Writers' Cafe, Phil.

And - as a word of advice - you really ought to think about building a proper signature - with your covers properly displayed.

You need to find out how just swing over to the CREATING A SIGNATURE thread.
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,46766.0.html

It's super-helpful in helping you set up your signature properly.

Nothing says "Buy my book" any better than a snazzy signature!

A

·
0 Posts
phildukephd said:
Sherlock Holmes, Doctor John Watson and all the other characters created with such success by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, are in the public domain.
No. the works are completely in the public domain in the UK only. In the U.S., public domain status is more...convoluted. And the Doyle heirs are a notoriously litigious bunch.

Hope you have a good lawyer.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Phil -------------------

Welcome to KindleBoards, and congratulations on the book! :) I've merged your two threads together and moved them to the Book Bazaar. :)

This is just a friendly reminder that KindleBoards is a Readers and Kindle Fan forum. Authors are always welcome to post anywhere but, as you browse the 'boards, please keep in mind that self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed here in the Book Bazaar.

A brief recap of our rules follows: (Note that this doesn't mean you've done anything wrong; we just want you to have a ready reference, so post this note in every thread. :) )

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information. You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days. Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link. Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows. This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles! Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts outside the Book Bazaar constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post. For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum. Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards! Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators

G

·
0 Posts
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
No. the works are completely in the public domain in the UK only. In the U.S., public domain status is more...convoluted. And the Doyle heirs are a notoriously litigious bunch.

Hope you have a good lawyer.
Time to change the characters' names?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Sherlock Holmes and the Flying Machine" just now hot off the computer. Sherlock Holmes investigates the mysterious death of a balloonist, and the unexplained crash on launch of Professor Samuel Langley's manned Aerodrome. Historically accurate and written in the style of Sir Arthur. If you like reading about Sherlock Holmes, and if things aeronautical interest you, you will love this book. Only $3.99.

"Sherlock Holmes and the Flying Machine" http://amazon.com/dp/B00AX853YC

By Phillip Duke Ph.D. This is my fifth published Sherlock Holmes story.

merged with existing thread -- remember, just one thread per book. -- ann

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
    Julie, thank you for your interest in my post regarding the recently published ebook "Sherlock Holmes and the Flying Machine." Regarding the issue of copyright you bring up, I reply as follows:
    Before working on and publishing my five published Sherlock Holmes ebooks, I communicated on this issue with two literary lawyers, and numerous other people knowledgeable regarding Sherlockian matters, including the Sherlock Holmes Society of London. They all informed me that the characters created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle are in the public domain. I bring to your attention the fact that Amazon, BandN, Smashwords, Kobo, Lulu and others all publish the works of Sir Doyle as if they are in the public domain.
    Regarding the NY Times article you provided a link with, the author Dave Itzoff is not a literary or any kind of lawyer, and he is mistaken in stating (all) the books and characters of Sir Arthur are not in the U.S. Public Domain. If you go to the Sherlockian at Sherlockian.Net:Copyright and read the "dissent" article linked at the bottom of the page, you will see that this article by Mike Masnick states unequivocally that all the Sir Doyle books except one are in the U.S. public domain, and that the Times article "got it wrong."
    FYI copyright protection is stronger for books than for the characters in them. In my Sherlock Holmes writing I have been careful to avoid subjects anything like those of Sir Arthur, for example he never wrote about a flying machine, and my latest Sherlock Holmes book is titled "Sherlock Holmes and the Flying Machine."
    Based on the above I am confident that my Sherlock Holmes characters are in the public domain, and that my writing about them is on excellent legal ground. If you still have concern about this issue, I suggest you contact Mr. Jeffry Bezos about it. He sells a lot more Sherlock Holmes books than I do.
    In view of your interest, I will be happy to gift any of my five Sherlock Holmes ebooks to you. Just let me know which one.
    Best regards,
    Phillip Duke Ph.D.
    Email [email protected]

A

·
0 Posts
You know, Phil, all you had to say was "I did communicate with an attorney first because I am aware of the issues." The rest of your post...not all that endearing.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Julie, the moderator informed me that I should post any available information on the issue of whether or not  Sherlock Holmes characters are in the public domain. I think it important that this issue is clarified, and based on your post that you "hope I have a good lawyer" you sounded convinced, so I posted some information other than just my own statements.

Regarding your statement that my post is "not very endearing" I did offer to gift you one of my Sherlock Holmes books, and for that matter, I post now that I will be happy to also gift you one or more, on any other subject.

Since the issue of copyright has hopefully been put to rest, if you want an endearing post from me, all that is necessary is for you to post me an endearing post, and I will happily reply with an equally endearing post.

Best regards,

Phillip Duke Ph.D.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Betsy, thank you for your post, and the free bump. You are appreciated.

I am happy to report that my most recent Sherlock Holmes ebook "Sherlock Holmes and the Flying Machine" is moving reasonably well. It was number two in its Kindle store category, now number four.

The theory of flight is interesting, and in the book Sherlock Holmes instructs Watson regarding the principles of both lighter and heavier than air flight.

I have always greatly admired the Wright brothers, and in the ebook Sherlock Holmes tells Professor Langley that the Wright brothers will be first to fly, and "conquer the Heavens." The interior illustrations include photos of Wilbur and Orville Wright, and a pictorial Evolution of the Wright brothers airplane.

In my opinion the best Sherlock Holmes ebook of mine  is still "Jack the Ripper versus Sherlock Holmes" but it looks like "Sherlock Holmes and the Flying Machine" may eventually take its place. "Jack the Ripper..." has more interior illustrations, and is a more sombre book, the "Flying Machine" is light and aery, very pleasant.

I say this- a good read entertains, literature entertains and improves. I try to write literature, I try to help people with my writing, and I like to write. There is a standing offer regarding all my 24 ebooks; if a person wants to own an ebook of mine, but there is a problem with this, then let him or her just notify me which one(s), and I will gift the ebook(s) to them.

Best regards,
Phillip Duke Ph.D.
[email protected]

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Sherlock Holmes and the Flying Machine" is now Number ONE in the Kindle Paid Store under Aerodynamics. It has beaten out "Aerodynamics for Engineers" Kindle price $66.66 and several other such ebooks. It is also my current best seller.

Based on this I am writing "Principles of Flight" and plan to offer it for only $4.99. This new book will present and discuss the principles of lighter than air, heavier than air, and space flight.

Any flyers or non-flyers wanting to provide input, contact me at [email protected]

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
    Evidently "Sherlock Holmes and the Flying Machine" developed a formatting problem after publication. I learned about and fixed it. The ebook is now reformatted, republished and available.
    I am presently working on "Principles of Flight." The new movie "Hindenberg" relates to my presentation on lighter than air flight. Hindenberg was of course the political leader of Germany, Count Zeppelin invented the dirigible airship. It repeatedly bombed London in WW1.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts