Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever gotten that shot for shingles?  If so, did you have a reaction? 

Patricia

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Be grateful if you find the shot.  I have a friend out here, and there is none of it in this part of the state.  I think she'd take it regardless; she hurt so bad with shingles.  Very painful (shingles, not necessarily the shot).

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I had shingles once; the doctor did not recommend afterward that I get the immunization shot. I don't recall his exact reasons though, whether it was side effect risks or cost versus efficacy or what. All I remember is that by the time I realized it was something more than some bug bites or whatever, it was Saturday, and I didn't get in to see him until Monday afternoon, at which point he said it was too late to start the prescription drug you can take to try to help once you have it but which must be taken early during the outbreak. (This was probably a good thing, in a way, as the drug is very expensive.)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I read that the vaccine is targeted for those 60 and older. My parents have both had it and didn't experience any reactions. If you're at risk for shingles I would suggest you get it if you can. You don't want shingles, believe me...I'm just getting over it and it was very painful at times. I was lucky to get diagnosed quickly and started the anti-viral within 48 hrs of first rash appearance. 

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I asked a pharmacist about the shot last week, and she said that it's a great thing to get. Apparently, it costs something in the ballpark of $219 before any insurance co-pay, but it lasts a lifetime. Having had some relatives who battled shingles, I think I'll probably get the shot. It seems as if it would be worth the cost in the long run. (I have Anthem/Blue Cross Blue Shield as insurance through my school, and I'm hoping that they'll pay a part of the cost. I was surprised to find that the insurance co. paid $20 of the $30 that my flu shot would have cost me last fall, so maybe they'll figure out that prevention is cheaper for them than an outbreak of shingles.)

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Ruby296 said:
I read that the vaccine is targeted for those 60 and older. My parents have both had it and didn't experience any reactions. If you're at risk for shingles I would suggest you get it if you can. You don't want shingles, believe me...I'm just getting over it and it was very painful at times. I was lucky to get diagnosed quickly and started the anti-viral within 48 hrs of first rash appearance.
I was pretty lucky, in that my outbreak was a couple places on my upper torso. It was definitely painful for a few days at its peak (Tylenol and ice packs), but from what I've heard from some friends and family who had it on their head and/or face, I get the impression that was significantly worse.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
NogDog said:
I was pretty lucky, in that my outbreak was a couple places on my upper torso. It was definitely painful for a few days at its peak (Tylenol and ice packs), but from what I've heard from some friends and family who had it on their head and/or face, I get the impression that was significantly worse.
My relatives who have had it have all been miserable while fighting it. My sister developed a case of shingles while literally on her deathbed. Of course, we were concerned enough with trying to keep her comfortable that those of us who cared for her didn't even think about the rash that she had being shingles. I don't know why the hospice people didn't figure it out. They came to the house every day, but didn't find the cause of the rash. (It may be that we didn't ask them about it. There were so many other things on our minds during the last two weeks of my sister's life that the cause of the rash wasn't a big deal. Sure am glad that I didn't get shingles, though. I hated that she had to deal with that, but she was on lots of pain meds, so apparently the shingles weren't horrible for her. Compared to cancer, I don't know how shingles could be any worse.)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Shingles is the herpes zoster virus that is the same virus as chickenpox.  If you have had chickenpox, then you are at risk for shingles.  It usually occurs in immunocompromised patients, elderly, and even younger if there is a great amount of stress.  The older the patient, the more likely that the patient will experience nerve pain called post herpetic neuralgia.  That can be very painful but there are medicines that can help, some are generic.  The sooner you get the retrovirals, the less likely that you will experience that pain.  If you have already had shingles, then you probably can't get it again.  Just FYI.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
DH got the shot at our local Safeway. It cost him nothing with our insurance, and he suffered no side effects.

·
Registered
700 Posts
My mom got the shingles vaccine a couple of years ago.  As far as I know she had no side effects.  Her supplemental insurance (Blue Cross) covered the cost.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Marguerite said:
If you have already had shingles, then you probably can't get it again. Just FYI.
But it can happen. My son had it when he was 12. (It's often not as bad in kids and teens as it is in older people, I've been told.) By the time we figured out what it was, it was too late for the meds. But he was a trooper.

He got another attack about five years later. That time, he figured it out almost immediately, because it recurred in practically the same places as last time: certain spots on his torso. He rushed to the clinic and got the antiviral, which helped a lot.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I got the vaccination three years ago at age 61.  (I'm how old?  :eek: )  No problems.  I was seeing my doc for annual quickie check-up.  I asked about it.  He said he thought it would be good idea to get it.  He checked clinic's supply.  They had it.  I got it right then. 

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
My dad had shingles about a year ago.  He said it was just agony beyond anything he could have imagined.  His doctor told him that even though he had had kidney stones, he would go through those again instead of going through having shingles.  I don't know if the shot works, but if you are at risk of getting shingles, it might be worth getting the shot.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I had shingles last March on my upper torso. The doctor told me it was due to extreme stress. I was able to get started on the meds right away so mine cleared up within a week to 10 days but was still painful. Shingles can reoccur and you are not eligible for the shingles shot unless you are over 60 years of age. Those most at risk are the over 50 crowd. Btw, it cost me $100 to get rid of them.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
My mother had shingles twice within about a 6 or 7 year period.  Very painful with lingering effects.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
My shingles shot was $200.  Insurance didn't cover it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
My mother-in-law got shingles this past winter -on her face and in her eye. It started out as three red marks underneath her eye and then her eye and eyelid got them too. She didn't realize what she had and wasn't planning to go to the doctor, until about 10 family members called her to demand she go. The meds helped a lot though she still had pain, but fortunately no complications in her eye...

·
Registered
626 Posts
I had the shot when it was first released. No side effects, no pain. My insurance did not cover the medication ($90 at my local pharmacist) but the administering of it by my physician was covered.
After watching a few neighbors going through the discomfort (pain actually) and having had chicken pox as an adult I was just pleased to learn that a vaccination was available.

·
Registered
610 Posts
My sister had Shingles and she was miserable for about a month. So last year I got the shot. No reaction. No Shingles. I'm happy. Do it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow!  Thanks, everyone for all your input and advice.  I guess I will follow my doctor's advice and get the shot!

Patricia

1 - 20 of 26 Posts