Kindle Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
Patricia,
That sounds like the best choice.
My insurance will pay for the shot and when my doctor gets some, I'll get it.
But from the experiences shared in the posts in this thread, I would definitely get it.

Just sayin.....

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you can prevent it, by all means do so.  I got it in 2006 and it took months to get rid of it, the antivirals were no help at all.  Neither was my NP who was snotty with me because it occurred on the S3 nerve root so I got, at the ripe old age of 37, a lecture on safe sex.  (Translation: it was on my butt. She got huffy with me for having herpes, which it wasn't.) 

So for several years it recurred regularly and finally seems to have decided to give me a break, just as I started hearing about it being something you put people on airborne precautions for.  I worked with it!  I only ever missed one day for that stuff, holy cow how many people I have exposed, I don't know.  They told me when I first had it, oh just don't take your pants off at work and don't care for pregnant folks/postpartums/newborns and everything will be fine.

So now I save my sick time, and pray it won't come back.  No shot for me, I'm not old enough.  Grrrrr.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
As an update, I went this morning to get the shingles shot and was informed I'd have to wait a month.  Seems they won't give it to you if you've just had the pneumonia vaccination and I just had that a week ago.  Be warned.

Patricia

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
Got my shot Tuesday.
My doctor got some in and called me.
I had no other complications, so in 30 seconds it was done.

While I would have done it because my doctor asked me to, I want to thank all here who recommended it.

Virtual family again, and all that...
Just sayin.....

·
Registered
113 Posts
I got shingles about 3-1/2 years ago, right at Xmas time (ugh)!  I had been dealing with my son's problems with alcohol and finally got him into treatment around Thanksgiving.  I found out that extreme stress can be a precursor.  I had company coming but was hurting and thought it was heart or gall bladder problems.  Went to minor emergency and they gave me pain pills, no rash yet but by Xmas Eve, when my best friend came over to bring a present, I showed her the bumps and she knew right away it was shingles.  I had already suffered through grocery shopping and my folks were on their way so there was no way to call XMAS off!  I also did not know it was contagious for those who had not had chickenpox and I ended up giving my 15 mo old granddaughter chicken pox (I felt awful) and my other best friend from HS told me she got a mild case too.  Luckily I could take off from work that week (my boss has RA and didn't want me near him).  It was the most painful thing I've ever experienced (don't remember much from childbirth) and I still have a little numbness in my right hip since my outbreak went from the front around to my back in the hip area.  I almost missed the window for the medicine to lessen the pain but I demanded it since I had been in on Sat and on Wed when I went in, I was in awful pain.  Hope I never have to go through that again. 

·
Registered
621 Posts
spotsmom said:
Be grateful if you find the shot. I have a friend out here, and there is none of it in this part of the state. I think she'd take it regardless; she hurt so bad with shingles. Very painful (shingles, not necessarily the shot).
When I get VERY stressed, I break out in painful shingles. You have no idea how much motivation this gives me to be calm and breath deeply...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts