Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I doubt it.  When I buy non-Kindle-book items, the default is not to use the points, I would have to specifically select them.  So my guess would be that they are not available.  Be nice if there was a setting to make them default for the Kindle books though; I use the points to get Amazon GCs that I only use for Kindle books, anyway, that would save me steps and time!  :D

You might call Amazon CS and ask for sure, though, 'cause I really don't know, I'm just guessing.  I haven't had them use points yet for Kindle book purchases since I first noticed the points thing a few weeks ago, that I do know.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Well, I just found the answer. They can't be used for Kindle downloads.

Shopping with Points

Shop with Points is available to buy millions of products on Amazon.com. Rewards program points cannot be used for all purchases on Amazon.com, and items that currently may not be purchased using Shop with Points include:

Amazon Kindle downloads
Amazon MP3s
Amazon Instant Video titles
AmazonFresh items
Subscribe and Save items

Physical gift cards can be purchased using Shopping with Points. However, gift cards printed at home or sent via e-mail cannot be purchased using Shop with Points.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_rel_topic?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200526490

Oh well. :(

·
5,979 Posts
Amazon says

Shop with Points is generally available to buy millions of products on Amazon.com. Please note, however, that rewards points cannot be used for all purchases on Amazon.com, and items that currently may not be purchased using Shop with Points include some digital goods, some gift certificates, Kindle downloads, Subscribe and Save items, and AmazonFresh. Please also note that currently you may not use one-click to purchase products using Shop with Points.
I think the reason you can't use it for Kindle books is that to pay with points you have to go through the checkout - you can't use 'one click' if you want to pay with points and you can only buy Kindle books using your one click settings.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Unfortunately it seems that most eReaders are exempt from points/discounts/special offers. My Barnes and Noble membership for example doesn't work with books for my Nook Color, but those are the drawbacks of eBooks I suppose. Maybe someday...

·
Super Moderator
67,458 Posts
Jeff Rivera said:
Unfortunately it seems that most eReaders are exempt from points/discounts/special offers. My Barnes and Noble membership for example doesn't work with books for my Nook Color, but those are the drawbacks of eBooks I suppose. Maybe someday...
Well. . .but. . .though you can't buy directly with points. . . .you can use the points to get gift certificates which can be applied to the account. And since one click uses GC's first, effectively you are using the points to buy kindle books, albeit with a couple of extra steps. I order a GC every month or two with points I've built up on my Amazon Visa. . . . .haven't actually paid 'real money' for a Kindle book since VERY early on in my Kindle life -- about 3 years now. :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Patricia said:
Guess I'll order the gift card.
The way Amazon does it now --- you reach the 2500 point threshold, order a gift card, wait 1 - 2 weeks for it to arrive via snail mail, then manually apply it to your Amazon account --- seems archaic. Once you cash in your points for a gift card, they should be able to apply it directly to your account. When I traded in some DVDs for credit a few weeks ago, that's exactly what they did.

·
Super Moderator
67,458 Posts
Tara Maya said:
Hm, I'd never even heard of Shop with Points. Interesting.
It's a new thing. . .just unveiled this past week for folks who have the Amazon logo Visa Card. . . . .you always could trade in the points for cash or an Amazon GC, or credit on the CC bill. . . .plus lots of other things. It's just that now, you can also use them directly to buy stuff on Amazon.

·
5,979 Posts
I'm surprised you have to order your gift card and then wait so long for it. I have the Amazon mastercard in the UK and with that one, as soon as you reach enough points for a £10 gift card, they automatically email it to you - there's no waiting involved. It doesn't do 'pay with points' as far as I know, but really, there's no need for it. I just use the GC to pay for my Kindle books.  ;D

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Linjeakel said:
I'm surprised you have to order your gift card and then wait so long for it. I have the Amazon mastercard in the UK and with that one, as soon as you reach enough points for a £10 gift card, they automatically email it to you - there's no waiting involved. It doesn't do 'pay with points' as far as I know, but really, there's no need for it. I just use the GC to pay for my Kindle books. ;D
They used to do that with Amazon Visa here, but now you have to go to your account online and order it. There are other kinds of bonuses you can get instead of the Amazon gift card.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
They still do. I always have to wait for the physical gift card to be mailed to me i use the CC points. I just got in the mail today about the new points to use. Now, if I just buy an amazon gift card on my own dime, I can email the code/gift card to me.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
mlewis78 said:
They used to do that with Amazon Visa here, but now you have to go to your account online and order it. There are other kinds of bonuses you can get instead of the Amazon gift card.
Yep, before it was automatic as a $25 Amazon GC every 2,500 points was the only reward. Now you have to order rewards as they have different things you can choose from--different GCs, a $50 check for 5,000 points etc.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
It's a new thing. . .just unveiled this past week for folks who have the Amazon logo Visa Card. . . . .you always could trade in the points for cash or an Amazon GC, or credit on the CC bill. . . .plus lots of other things. It's just that now, you can also use them directly to buy stuff on Amazon.
Sorry for reviving an old thread. But I'm trying to apply my points to my CC balance and I can't see where to do that. I only see links to "redeem rewards" and I don't see a place to apply to my balance.

Someone pointed out that applying points to my balance and then just using the card to buy things on Amazon results in more accumulation of points for that purchase, whereas using the points to pay on Amazon results in no more points.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Oh, I'm sorry - I finally found it. I did say to myself, "Look again before posting - maybe you'll see it" and I did, but it still happened that way.

Turns out you need $50-worth of points (5000) before getting a statement credit - that's why I didn't see it.

·
Super Moderator
67,458 Posts
I think you can get some things with 2500 points. . . .and if you have point credit and go to buy something other than a kindle book on Amazon, it will ask if you want to apply them to the purchase.  Assuming that's the CC attached to your account.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts