Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I feel like I am at the end of my tether here. On one of my pens, I have been releasing romance for the 90minutes romance read categories however I keep being paced in erotica. These books are definitely not erotica and it's starting to affect my launches because they don't fit. I have ensured to follow romance beats, tropes and audience expectations. (I have explained this to customer service numerous times) The title and subtitle are similar to a lot of other books in the 90mins sub cat and the keywords all reflect KU's romance categories.

Now, I do admit there is some sex (one scene), however after reading 30+ romance shorts my sex scenes are so tame and short that its ridiculous.

Can anyone give me any insight on what I am triggering to keep being placed in erotica?

·
Registered
9 Posts
How's your cover?  I've heard that they're cracking down on anything too cheeky (e.g. the old network television "3/4-ass shorts").

Also, is there anything naughty in the "Look Inside"?

·
Registered
45 Posts
You're not the only one experiencing this. If you go on r/eroticauthors or other romance-geared forums, people have been complaining of this for several months. Consensus seems to be that it's Amazon mucking around with things. Cover, keywords, blurb can all say romance but if the content is at all steamy and it's short, the likelihood of getting placed in erotica is high. You have two options: write something else or start working on how to find your audience outside of Amazon's recommendation engine. Things will probably stabilize again down the line, but no one can say when that will be.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I think that once a pen name and/or title has been classified as erotic, it doesn't matter what you do, you're never going to get it out of there.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I don't know how deep the bots at the Zon look into a book before placing it in a category, but the presence of a sex scene in a short read could possibly trigger such a thing.

I've had at least one book placed in subcategories I did not choose, due to elements that were maybe 50-60 pages deep into a short novel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a quick update after a few days speaking to the Zon.

I will say that the keywords, title, subtitle and cover are all fine the problem was with the manuscript despite there being absolutely nothing naughty in the read through.

Kathy Dee said:
I think that once a pen name and/or title has been classified as erotic, it doesn't matter what you do, you're never going to get it out of there.
This appears to be not the case as I have released another series at the same time and that one has not trigger the bots. This series has also has a new release come out and it remains in romance. I don't know what series two tripped in the manuscript as they are about the same level.

stacia_s said:
You're not the only one experiencing this. If you go on r/eroticauthors or other romance-geared forums, people have been complaining of this for several months. Consensus seems to be that it's Amazon mucking around with things. Cover, keywords, blurb can all say romance but if the content is at all steamy and it's short, the likelihood of getting placed in erotica is high. You have two options: write something else or start working on how to find your audience outside of Amazon's recommendation engine. Things will probably stabilize again down the line, but no one can say when that will be.
After days of discussion with the zon, we have created a compromise that I am happy with, and will be continuing writing romance short stories, with the recommendation engine.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
leilarosewrites said:
Just a quick update after a few days speaking to the Zon.

I will say that the keywords, title, subtitle and cover are all fine the problem was with the manuscript despite there being absolutely nothing naughty in the read through.
It would be really helpful if you could be a bit more specific

1 - 8 of 8 Posts