Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I wanted to get some thoughts and insights from other writers here.

First and foremost, let me say that I will likely always prefer reading a traditional book...that's just me. More than anything, I love those big thick mammoth collections in paperback (Lovecraft omnibus, etc). I have a Complete Lovecraft in bother paperback and Kindle...I enjoy both but there's something alluring and special about that big paperback edition.

That brings me to my question: I have 2 short story collections for sale. They are my 2 worst-selling books. Each one has 13 stories. One sells for $2.99 and the other for $1.99.  I went with this approach because I thought most might find it as a deal...13 short stories for $2.99 while many others are selling ONE short story for $1.00 or more.

However, I am seeing where many are doing well with their $1.00 short story (in a range of 5,000 - 8,000 words or so) while my collections get no traction.  Furthermore, those other writers seem to be getting boosts in their sales as a result of their one-shot short stories. So I suppose my question is, as a reader, do you enjoy getting a single story that average 5,000 words to knock out in one sitting or would you rather have the collection?  ad for you writers, which avenue have you tried?

I am toying with the idea of unpublishing my collections and releasing the 9-10 stories that break 5,000 words as stand alones for $1.00 each. The other shorter ones I would then roll into a different collection and sell for $3.99.

What's the consensus on this?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Why unpublish the collections? Go publish the shorts as standalones and use pricing strategically to incentivize sales of the collections. For example, I have two collections of 7 and 8 shorts, respectively, each book running 85-88K words (I tend to write 10-15K shorts). I pubbed a couple individual shorts in the run up to each collection going live, then finished pubbing the remaining shorts afterward. They were each priced at 99 cents, but I've since raised the prices of most to $1.49, whereas the prices of the collections run $4.99 to $5.99, depending on my mood, sun spots, day of the week and other important criteria. Buying the individual stories would run a customer in the $10-12 range, so the ~50% price deal looks pretty good...if they like your work.

The shorts are a cheaper buy-in for customers who might be more willing to "test drive" your work at a lower cost. I'd say, if you can swing covers for each (or even just adapt the covers from the collections), then go for selling individual shorts. It puts more books on your shelf and offers customers more options.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes, I agree - do both!  At the end of each short story, link to the collection.  The people that love your writing might want to save some money by buying a bunch of your short stories in one book.

There's all kinds of readers out there and if you have them published individually and in collections you'll be able to appeal to more readers.  And the more readers that are exposed to your work, the better, right?

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
I'm coming at this from a reader's perspective. I'd rather buy a single short story I pick out for 99 cents than an omnibus or anthology of 5 stories for 2.99. If I'm in the mood for a short story, I don't wanna be bothered with other stories I then feel obligated to read because I paid for them, stories I may not have otherwise read. And I KNOW others don't see it that way. That's just MY preference.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great feedback guys.  Thanks.  Looks like I will be creating some new files next week... 

1 - 7 of 7 Posts