Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is for those who have a K1 and now also have a K2...I adore my K1....love it, love it, love it, no problems with it!  I've been toying with also getting a K2 because I love my K1.  I don't need it (of course) but just want it and am in a fortunate position right now where I can afford it.  I would keep my K1 (my DH isn't a reader) so one would be for home and one would go with me.  Have most of you kept both?  What do you see as the advantages (or disadvantages) of having 2 Kindles.  I'm trying to justify spending the $.  Should I get one? ???

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I also toyed with this idea.  My mom got her K2 recently and I was so excited so I could compare.  K2 is nice.  It has many nice features.  But not enough features for me to purchase it.  I have personally decided to wait until Amazon releases the next generation. 
deb

·
Super Moderator
67,555 Posts
I only have a K1 and I admit to some K2 lust when it first came out.  But, at this point, if I had another $360 to spend, I'd buy books with it.  Now, if I had a close friend or relative to whom I could give my K1, I'd think harder on it.  I don't see a reason for me to have two of them.  

Ann

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
LibraryGirl said:
This question is for those who have a K1 and now also have a K2...I adore my K1....love it, love it, love it, no problems with it! I've been toying with also getting a K2 because I love my K1. I don't need it (of course) but just want it and am in a fortunate position right now where I can afford it. I would keep my K1 (my DH isn't a reader) so one would be for home and one would go with me. Have most of you kept both? What do you see as the advantages (or disadvantages) of having 2 Kindles. I'm trying to justify spending the $. Should I get one? ???
I have both and my poor K1 is not getting much use at all. There are a few features on the K2 that I prefer, but if I had never seen it or used it, I would be completely happy with my original. Like I said before, I consider the K2 to be a lateral improvement, not an UP upgrade.

I thought I would use both but since I have multiple Kindles on my account, Whispersync doesn't work properly. Thus, if I am reading a book on K2 and want to read it on K1, I have to manually find my place. That's really a deterrent from switching back and forth.

I am actually debating whether to give my K1 to my sister for her birthday, since my niece won't let her mother touch hers (I gave my niece her Kindle for her birthday -- three months early).

On the other hand, I like having a "spare" if anything should happen to one or the other.

L

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. I  tell myself that even though I have the $, there are other things I could spend it on...books for sure, though- at least in part.  I'm not an especially frivolous spender...what I need, some cheaper wants. I rarely splurge all out, but this is also why I'm considering the purchase as well...I don't splurge and "deserve" a treat every now and then....AAAHH! It's the whole justification thing, you know. This is why I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.  
BTW:  I do think the kindleboards are awesome!!!

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
This is a bad place to ask for advise about spending money. LOL I had the K2 lust at first, but couldn't justify buying it. If anything happens to K1 then I'll buy the K2. I will probably buy the K2 as soon as the warranty is out on my K1 and give the K1 to someone in the family. I don't think I would use both and my DH can't even finish a magazine, so I know he won't be interested in it. Good luck with your decision. :)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Another option some here have taken is to buy a gently used Klassic Kindle and with the money saved buy books, covers, skins etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you have a K1 and you're happy with it, wait. The one thing that kept me from buying the K1 was its design - I borrowed one for a long trip and kept turning pages when I didn't mean to. But that was me. The difference between the K1 and K2 are very similar to the differences between the first and second iPod - nothing major, just improvements. But the K3? I expect Amazon to amaze us.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I am very happy I upgraded. I love my K2, I have no problem with the contrast. It was a little weird at first but now I am use to it and in bright light esp, it is perfect. Once the screensaver hack was posted I was more than happy with my choice. The good thing is, you can order a K2, try it out and if you really do not like it, return it. I personally would then sell my K1 or give it to a family member or dear friend. I do not really see going back and forth. They function differently and once your use to it, you do not really even think about it. Which is the beauty of it. If I was jumping backing in forth, I would have to pay more attention to that and it kind of defeats the purpose...
My 2¢! :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
davidwb said:
If you have a K1 and you're happy with it, wait. The one thing that kept me from buying the K1 was its design - I borrowed one for a long trip and kept turning pages when I didn't mean to. But that was me. The difference between the K1 and K2 are very similar to the differences between the first and second iPod - nothing major, just improvements. But the K3? I expect Amazon to amaze us.
The K3? While I'm sure Amazon already has this in the works, I haven't really heard any rumors yet of releasing one. I did read somewhere that it's rumored to be 8 1/2 X 11, though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm like you. I have a K1 and I was perfectly satisfied with it, but I had the extra money, so I decided to treat myself. I'm terrible about selling things, so I knew I wouldn't do that, and I told myself I'd just try the K2 and return it if I didn't feel it was worth the money (haha). I also said I'd figure out some way to use the K1, and anyway, it would be a comforting backup. Well, I got the K2 and I like it just fine. I haven't had any issues with the contrast or the sun, and in fact, I read at a smaller font on the K2. I like the extra features, especially the ability to chose a single word in the dictionary, and it works with my newspaper subscription more easily. Unfortunately, I've neglected my K1, but I still plan on finding a use for it. If I had someone close to me I could give/sell it to, I probably would, but my mother wouldn't even be willing to try to use it, and my daughter already has one. What the heck, I can have a classic and someday it'll be a collector's item. ::) So I guess in your place I'd order a K2, give it a try, and then decide. What do you have to lose? You obviously want one, so go for it, if you can afford it. You can always return it, find a use for the K1, or sell the K1 later. How's that for enabling?  :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hahaha! I read one post and my mind's made up to wait for K3, then the next one and I have to get a K2 now... although my flip-floppy mind is frustrating, I know I'm very lucky to have such a "problem"

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
LibraryGirl said:
This question is for those who have a K1 and now also have a K2...I adore my K1....love it, love it, love it, no problems with it! I've been toying with also getting a K2 because I love my K1. I don't need it (of course) but just want it and am in a fortunate position right now where I can afford it. I would keep my K1 (my DH isn't a reader) so one would be for home and one would go with me. Have most of you kept both? What do you see as the advantages (or disadvantages) of having 2 Kindles. I'm trying to justify spending the $. Should I get one? ???
We had 2 Kindle 1's in our family before I bought the K2. My husband didn't use his much, so I sold it here on the boards but kept the other K1 and I'm glad I did. I find I'm using the new K2 at home and taking the K1 to the gym or pool mostly. With the new sync to furthest page feature this works great for me.

My sister-in-law also has two K1's in the family and wants me to sell one of them for her on ebay or here in the Buy, Sell...board. (She's not too computer savvy with those things.)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
LibraryGirl said:
Hahaha! I read one post and my mind's made up to wait for K3, then the next one and I have to get a K2 now... although my flip-floppy mind is frustrating, I know I'm very lucky to have such a "problem"
Flip flopping :p

I am happy with my K1 and funds are tight so there won't be a K2 in my future anytime soon. The only feature that really appealed to me was the ease of the dictionary...other than that, not much to make me pine for a K2. :)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Since I do a lot of tech support for our members, I felt obligated to get a K2, and I anticipated my K1 collecting dust in a corner afterwards. However, that's not the case.... Leslie had suggested using it for samples only, and that's pretty much what I do with it.... All samples go to the K1, all books go to the K2. Both get used a lot, and I can help people with issues on either device.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If I had any desire to have a K2, I would get it in a heart beat! Right now, I can't justify the cost, since we are trying to pay off our home and I need a new(er) car. Although, hubby will be getting a raise soon...;)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Make sure that the lighter text/less contrast problem that so many K2 owners are having won't bother you. That alone has completely eliminated any idea I ever had of giving up my wonderful K1 for a harder to read K2. Just my personal preferences.

Steve

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have both the kindle 1 (bought it for $210) and kindle 2 (got it for my birthday). Since the kindle 2 cost more and has some sentimental value, I just leave it at home and use it for more serious reading. I bring the kindle 1 with me whenever I go out. I also put all my favorite books in the kindle 2 and books I haven't read yet in the kindle 1.

·
Registered
601 Posts
We have both the K1 and the K2 in our house.  When I got the K2, I suggested my husband keep the K1.  It sat for a long time unused.  I am very pleased with the K2.  My husband has finally picked up the K1 and claimed it as his own (only after our son threatened to hijack it).  I sometimes go back to his to read something and find that I quickly return to the K2.  I have a tendency to turn the pages without knowing it (especially while turing it off and on, which sometimes changes where I left off in the book and then I have to flip pages to see where I was - REALLY annoying).  I think you would be happy with purchasing the K2 and keeping the K1...you can always sell the K1 later if you find you don't use it (or give it to someone else :D)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.