Kindle Forum banner

Should I buy a Kindle online or in-store?

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  laughinggravy 
#1 ·
So, it's been a few years, but since the Kindle PW has been released, I am finally convinced to become a Kindle owner. I plan on getting mine closer to summer when I'll have more time to use it, and I'm not sure how I want to purchase it.

Here in Canada, "The Source" sells Kindles in-store, so I figured that's awfully more convenient to buy one there than online and waiting for it in the mail. Plus, I don't own a credit card, so I would have to buy Amazon gift cards and such to pay for it.

Anyway, is it a good idea to buy one in-store? Would I be losing any sort of customer service benefit from Amazon? If it needed repairs, would I have to rely on the store to repair it or would I still send it in to Amazon?

Sorry this is a long question, I'd just like to know before I make my decision. Thanks for any help in advance. :)

#2 ·
You will still have all the support and everything that goes along with the Kindle.  So buy it in the store.  The only difference is you will have to register it when you get it home (or to the nearest place with wifi.)

And enjoy it.

#3 ·
Forgot to mention you will need to buy a small amazon gift card to buy books with.
Long as the gift card has more than 1 penny on it you are good to get free books.

#5 ·
The advantage to buying it on-line through Amazon is that you 'may' not be charged sales tax and Amazon sets up the Kindle account for you. I don't know what the sales tax situation is in Canada.....in any case you will need to have an existing Amazon account to purchase the actual Kindle. ;D

On the other hand if you buy the Kindle retail,  you will still have to open an Amazon Account, ...I believe Amazon requires that you have a Credit Card on file to do so, then you can use the Amazon Gift Cards for all purchases. Since you don't own a Card Card I suggest that you purchase a $25 Visa (or Mastercard) Gift Card and use that to create your Amazon account. Finally, you will still have to register your Kindle to be able to buy and receive the ebooks.

Decisions, Decisions.

#7 ·
Amazon does not require a credit card for anything.  Yes I checked before I bought my Kindle.  It says on every page that you can use a gift card.  Oh and when I registered my Kindle it did not ask for any payment information up front.

Now Nook on the other hand requires you keep a credit card on your account at ALL times or they will lock you out and you cannot even access the books you paid for.  This is why I do not own a Nook.
(side note the credit card did not have to be in your name or even at your address.)

Though on the credit card thing if you want do not buy the Visa gift cards.  Get a reloadable Visa if you are going to do many purchases.

#8 ·
Thanks for setting me straight on the Credit Card thing, it's good to know that Amazon does not require a Credit Card to open an account.

Of course, they did require a credit card when I decided to pay the $20 to remove the advertising from my Paperwhite.  Did not allow me to use my Amazon Gift card dollars to do that.....so I ended up having to add a Credit Card to my account....temporarily.  ;D

#12 ·
rlkubi said:
I personally would buy through Amazon. Their customer service is fantastic!
Yes it is. . .but it would apply wherever you buy. Within the first 30 days, you should probably go back to the store you buy from but, after that, they'd send you to Amazon anyway.

At least, such is usually the case in the US, but the OP is asking about Canada. I don't know of any reason why it would be different.

That said, I'd probably order from Amazon -- unless I needed it TODAY. Soonest I could get it from Amazon is tomorrow. :D

#13 ·
I think I'm prob on the other side of the world from you guys but I've done both and I was glad to have bought the second PW from a nearby store. It too needed to be returned and all I had to was stroll back and wait five mins for them to get a new one from their stock for me. Generally I have no probs buying online but I'm not sure if they have really solved the screen issues, so for this, if the B and M store is nearby, I'd do that and check carefully with them openly, loudly and clearly that if there's a worry they'll exchange without hesitation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.