Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok since mothers day is coming up pretty soon and i usually wait until the last minute to get anything for my mom i want to try to be prepared this year.

I need some help and advice from you guys perferrably from middle aged moms that are not exactly computer-savvy. Im 23 and i love my kindle im not computer savvy but of course i am very familiar with computers and the process. But my mom is 45 and although she does online banking and several other computer related tasks im not sure how easily she would "catch on" to the kindle amazon download process. Obviously she is not stupid so i know she will get used to downloading books etc. But shes kind of set in her ways, like if she wants a book it seems easier for her to just go down and buy it and then read it. But im thinking maybe she will love trying this new way.

I am unsure if my mom will love a kindle Because my mom loves to read and she always comments on how handy my kindle is because it can change font size and she wouldnt have to strain with her glasses on. She is handy on a computer when she wants to be and she also ordered a kindle for my cousin for a graduation gift and she has seen mine several times. So she definitely knows what one is and is somewhat familiar with it. Shes only played with mine for a few minutes and kinda doesnt get the whole idea of it exactly. Which im thinking might change if she actually owns one and can get used to buying books and reading them on her own kindle at her leisure?

I dont know im very confused and since it is rather expensive i want a few opinions on if you think she will enjoy it if i buy her one for mothers day. I guess worst case scenario is she can return it which will not at all hurt my feelings. Im just sick of the same old gifts i usually always buy perfume,purse,wallet,spa gc.

Any and all opinions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kindle Convert said:
OK...I'm 45...and I love my Kindle, hope that helps! ;)
Did it seem strange at 1st getting used to reading in this new way? Was the process of going online to download the books odd? Did u have any resistance to the kindle and rather just going back to traditional reading?

Im sorry it may seem as though im acting like my mom is from the stone age lol, i do realize she is only 45 i just know sometimes she resists modern technology to a point thats why im hopeing for some other people to chime in that were maybe like her before they got their kindle.
Thanks again

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am planning on getting one for my Mom for her birthday!   (Don't usually spend that much for Mothers Day) She is older than your Mom but I think she will love it.  She uses her computer for banking, e-mails, etc. but I don't think she will have any problems using the kindle.

I say go for it!  She must like yours enough to order one for your cousin.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Well I'm 50 and not a mom- but I did buy my 70+ year old mother a Kindle at the end of last year. She is somewhat computer savvy although new things intimidate her. She loves her Kindle. She has no problem getting things off our joint amazon account using her Kindle and whispernet.( this is stuff that is archived at Amazon- not in the store) She hasn't really gone online to Amazon yet because our reading tastes are very similar and she has been reading things I had already bought. I don't think she would have any trouble getting stuff online- I just haven't really walked her through it yet. I think if your mom does online banking and such she probably knows more than mine does and wouldn't have any problems.

Lynn L

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I'm 47...wait, 48...errr.   
Anyway, I had no problem getting used to the K at all.  In fact, it's been just the opposite.  My 23 year old son is the one that has been reluctant to go Kindle. 
I was nervous about it, don't get me wrong.  This is different than an MP3 player or Ipod or cell phone.  But only different because e-readers are not so mainstream.  I did a lot of reading up on it before it arrived so that I felt more comfortable when I took it out of the box.  I also had the support of the KBs. 
My mom, 69, got a K2 last week.  She's loving it.  And she is very technologically challenged. 
Good luck with making  your decision. 

·
Registered
234 Posts
koolmnbv said:
Did it seem strange at 1st getting used to reading in this new way? Was the process of going online to download the books odd? Did u have any resistance to the kindle and rather just going back to traditional reading?

Im sorry it may seem as though im acting like my mom is from the stone age lol, i do realize she is only 45 i just know sometimes she resists modern technology to a point thats why im hopeing for some other people to chime in that were maybe like her before they got their kindle.
Thanks again
No problem...though we are not from the stone age, I understand their are differences between Boomers and Gen X. I've always read alot of material online anyway, so it did not feel strange reading on the Kindle, just much more convenient! The Kindle is much easier on my eyes, I can adjust the font so that I don't have to wear my "cheaters" to read, which is nice too! It sounds like your mom knows her way around a computer enough that setting up and managing her Amazon account would be a easy for her, and if she loves to read, she would probably appreciate a gift like the Kindle. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm 49 and you can buy me one! Wait, that doesn't help does it?  :D  I think if she has some basic pc skills she'll be fine. The Kindle is pretty self sufficient and for the job of purchasing/reading books, I think it's a breeze. Heck, if she accidently buys a book thru whispernet, she can even cancel it! I think it would be a great gift....you're a good daughter! I'm sure she'll love it!

Susie

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
I am almost 50, a Mom and I love to read.  I am not particularly computer savvy - my computer is a glorified word processor and lets me bank on-line (now it is my umbilical cord to Kindleboards).  I would have been beyond thrilled if my kids had given me a Kindle.  It was a gift from DH, it didn't take long to get used to and while I have experimented with some things (I did labor over learning to install a custom screensaver), I basically use it to read - constantly, it is an ever-present companion.  I do most of my kindlebook shopping from the Amazon Store (linking through KB, of course) since I don't have great whispernet, don't use subscriptions, web browsing, etc. and I love it, love it, love it.  Another plus for giving a Kindle to your Mom would be always knowing what to give her in the future - Amazon Gift Cards!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
LOL...isn't 40 the new 20??? There is a thread somewhere about ages here on KB. The last I remember, 20-somethings are in the minority here so to answer your question, go ahead and get your mom one if the finances allow. It's a gift that will keep on giving. I'm sure once your mom picks it up that she'll be able to figure it out or you could even set aside a bit of time to give her some lessons. She may not be showing a huge desire for a Kindle because moms generally don't buy themselves big ticket items...I know that this is true for myself.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Hey another 40 something mom piping in. Ok I'm 47 I love my Kindle. I am on the computer at work constantly but the idea of transfering books that I download form somewhere other than Amazon had me freaking out for a bit. I use mobi pocket and it is a breeze....just download 15 books that I will transfer to Ladybug in a bit.

I say buy it and if she doesnt like it you should have no problem a) returning it or b) selling it on the boards.

And like someone else mention if she loves it then I see a lot of Amazon GC in her future...she will love you for that.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Well I'm 50+ (somehow I don't think of myself as "middle-aged") and I have a KK I have no problem using.  If your mom does any kind of computer activities on-line, I don't see why she couldn't shop on line or through the Kindle via Whispernet for books.  I think if you got her one she would probably be more liable to use it, she may be reluctant to spend the money on herself but a gift is entirely different and just think future gifts could be accessories or gift cards. LOL

If I didn't already have one and my girls decided to buy me one I would be thrilled.

Good luck!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm 44 and LOVE my Kindle!
I am going to buy my mom (age 74) one for Mother's day as well. She has seen mine and loves it.
She is a little more computer savvy though since she still works full time.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm 46 and love my Kindle. Maybe it is different because I chose to buy it and spent a lot of hours reading about it before it arrived. So it was pretty easy to get used to using. Now it is rarely out of eyesight. My favorite feature is being able to change the font size. A lot of 40 something people have changes in their eyes at this age. So it makes my Kindle priceless to me.

If you know she loves reading, I don't think it will take her too long to learn to use it. Especially if you show her the basics when you give it to her. If you have similar taste in books, consider adding her to your account. That way she will be starting out with books already on it.

Since they are currently in stock at Amazon I would probably wait a few weeks to buy it. She only has 30 days from the date of purchase to return it and the warranty starts the day it is shipped from the Amazon warehouse. If you order now, you are giving up a month of warranty.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
koolmnbv said:
I am unsure if my mom will love a kindle Because my mom loves to read and she always comments on how handy my kindle is because it can change font size and she wouldnt have to strain with her glasses on.
Sounds like she's hinting to me.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I don't think she will have any problem with it - sounds like she uses the computer quite a bit - and she has seen yours too - I think it is a SUPER Mothers Day gift - I would get her at least the Amazon cover to go with it though - it is just easier to hold and read to me with a cover (I have an M-Edge prodigy cover myself)

Of course you have to get her to come here to learn all about the skins etc she can get too ;)

btw I'm almost 56 and I love love my Kindle - plus the more I think about it the more it seems like she has hinted about how much she thinks it is great to you - and probably others too - with the comments about the fonts etc.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
My mom is computer illiterate. She doesn't even know how to turn one on. Seriously. I bought her a Kindle for Christmas. I should also point out that she does NOT live in an area with Whispernet. Therefore, she needs to download all of her books via the computer. I knew this would be an issueso I had the Kindle mailed to me and I downloaded almost all of my books to it. I then printed out precise, step by step directions on how to download the books when she finished reading all of those. She still hasn't attempted it, but she is working her way through the books I put on there (luckily, we have the same taste in books).

She's coming to visit in about 6 weeks and I'm hoping to show her how to do it.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I'm 57 and I LOVE my KK - I'm rarely on the leading edge of tech toys - I'm usually dragging my feet and saying "Why would we need that?" Said that about microwaves, VCR's & video cameras, personal computers, etc, etc. ::) But the first time I heard about this one, I thought "I want one of those!" Took me 6 months to make myself spend the money on myself, but that was because of the price.

She'll have 30 days to decide if she likes it - if she's a reader, I can't imagine that she won't. If you like the same types of books, you can share an account (my daughter is on my account, we do like a lot of the same books so it's worked very well for us).

I say go for it!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Do it!!  She will love it and think you are the perfect child for giving her such a thoughtful gift.  

Maxx

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I'm getting one for my soon to be 48 year old Spouse Thingy for his birthday later this month. Even though he's obviously OLD, I think he can handle it ;) (I am not old, I am four months younger, and that means all the difference IN THE WORLD.) If he can't handle it, I'm sure I'll be able to find someone to pass it along to. Not everyone I know is old.  :D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts