Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have had my k2 for a week officially....but after the frist day i noticed something with the 5 way controller...

ever used something before that has buttons, but if you push a button really lightly, you will notice that you can make the button "click" but not actually do anything?  then if you hit it a little harder, it will actually do what it is supposed to?  cause thats what happens on the "right" 5-way button.  it clicks, but that isnt enough to make the cursor move to the right....i have to push much harder to make it actually move the cursor.  I am sure that CS will have no problem with it, but i find it hard to justify a call to them about it if this is really not that big of a deal - i just kinda worry that it will get worse.

my second question is, if i DO call CS, and they want to send me another kindle....do i have to uninstall the screensaver hack before i send this one back?  

one other thing - how exactly do i test for the sun fade issue?  i feel like i am not doing it right....we have had VERY little sun here, but i hve gone outside in the sun and stood for maybe 2-3 miinutes, and tried changing the page every minute...nothing happened....i also have let the kindle sit on my table in direct sunlight for hours, and nothing happened....is that sufficient?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I'd call CS and let them make the judge on if it's a problem or not.  It could be a known issue and lead to bigger problems in the future.  And yes, I would uninstall the Screen Saver hack if you return it.  They say it doesn't void your warranty but it makes sense to return it to them without it and isn't a big ordeal to remove.

People are saying you should go out at noon for the sun fade thing and read for like a half hour at least.  I just went out with mine and paged through dozens of times to make sure.  It should fade on each page turn so keep turning them till you're satisfied.  I want to test mine again because I see people saying they tested it then saw it later because they didn't test it enough.  No matter when it shows up Amazon should replace it for you though.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yeah, give them a quick call and ask. But I doubt it's really a big issue. As long as you don't mind the button issue, just keep it.  :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would call/return it.  The fact that you brought it up here tells me that it bugs you.  It is not what SHOULD happen.  Don't confuse broken but functional, with broken/non-functional.

This is an expensive piece of equipment and you should feel like it is working as it is supposed to work.

·
Registered
711 Posts
mominsky said:
ok so i have had my k2 for a week officially....but after the frist day i noticed something with the 5 way controller...

ever used something before that has buttons, but if you push a button really lightly, you will notice that you can make the button "click" but not actually do anything? then if you hit it a little harder, it will actually do what it is supposed to? cause thats what happens on the "right" 5-way button. it clicks, but that isnt enough to make the cursor move to the right....i have to push much harder to make it actually move the cursor. I am sure that CS will have no problem with it, but i find it hard to justify a call to them about it if this is really not that big of a deal - i just kinda worry that it will get worse.

my second question is, if i DO call CS, and they want to send me another kindle....do i have to uninstall the screensaver hack before i send this one back?

one other thing - how exactly do i test for the sun fade issue? i feel like i am not doing it right....we have had VERY little sun here, but i hve gone outside in the sun and stood for maybe 2-3 miinutes, and tried changing the page every minute...nothing happened....i also have let the kindle sit on my table in direct sunlight for hours, and nothing happened....is that sufficient?

If you think the five way controller is giving way, by all means, call up CS. Within the thirty day time period, if you're not satisfied for any reason at all, no questions asked, they have to send you a replacement.

Two, yes, when you send the other one back, you have to remove all accessories and deregister the device; you should definitely uninstall the screensaver hack, as well.

Lastly, coming from one of the sunfade experts here at kindleboards, you were definitely testing for the issue correctly; stand in direct sunlight, turn several pages, shield one half of the screen and see if there is a difference in text... quite frankly, I have never had to stand outside for half an hour or more to notice the sun fade, with all my (5? 6?) sun fade kindles, I noticed the text bleach out, immediately. There are also different degrees of sunfade; sometimes the screen will be washed out all over, sometimes it will be only in patches, or even in the corners or on one side, be sure too look out for it all over.

Now, you stated that you do get very little sun where you live; if at all possible, hope that there is a very bright, sunny day coming up soon, and take it outside and test it again. I made the mistake of going out on a day that was sunny, but it wasn't strong, BRIGHT sunshine; my test revealed no sun fade. So I happily took it inside, posted on the forums here that my kindle was safe, added a skin and a screen protector, only to find on a brighter day that my kindle did, indeed, have the vampire syndrome. So don't be like me ^_^

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
It won't hurt to call CS, that is what they are there for.  Be sure you are satisfied with the answer as some reps are not well-schooled in various situations and if need be ask for a supervisor.

Most important of all - let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
117 Posts
do you really only have 30 days to troubleshoot your Kindle and get an exchange?
I thought that we had a 1 year warranty on it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.....

I was in the car today with my Kindle (no name yet) and let the sun hit it through the windshield. I saw no fade out, but didn't shield half of the screen. What should I do to seriously test it?? I really don't want to find out that I have a 'problem child'.

I actually ordered and received my first book today (a free one) and actually received a confirmation email of my order with lots of 0.00s on it.

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
There is a 1 year warranty and if anything goes wrong during that time -- unless you've 'abused' it -- they'll replace it.  You can return it within 30 days for a full refund for no particular reason.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Right, sorry for the mistake x_X; 30 days is the if you get fed up with it all and want your money back, date.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thank you both! My DH is getting more intrigued with it all the time! It's now dressed- except for the skin (I want to make sure that it's worry free before skinning) in it's light purple Noreve cover and it's BorsaBella bag for tucking in my purse.

Now if I can get it sun checked and pronounced fade-free, I'll be happy!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, so i finally got around to calling amazon - they were INCREDIBLY nice, and agreed that it is probably something that will only get worse....so they are overnighting me a new one.  they said i should have it tomorrow, even though it was after 7PM tonight! 

i just ordered a case earlier today, and it is supposed to come in weds, so i probably wont use the new one tilll then so i can keep it protected in the new case - not that i have damaged mine now or anything without the case, cause i havent....but i figured i will start "fresh" with a new case and new kindle :)

lets just hope that the new one doesnt have this same problem!

I also must say, i got a book for my bday from my father in law, and i am having a hard time reading it...it is a hard cover, and it just isnt the same reading a hard cover vs the kindle...and i have only had the kindle for 2 weeks!

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I'm glad they were able to see the problem and send you out a new one so quickly, I can understand the nervousness though.  And I think I should try to get that book on your Kindle.  If he finds out somehow and says something just tell him you wanted to keep your gift pristine as possible because you thought so much of it and wanted to be sure you didn't bend any pages or muck up the binding ;)  I felt the same way early on.  Just days after getting my Kindle I was already too spoiled for actual books and bought the one I was currently reading in Kindle form just to avoid having to do so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So - similar question... based on date of delivery of my first book and the Kindle manual, I apparently ordered my K1 somewhere around July 17, 2008. I usually read in bed (with kitty on arm, batting at pages when it was DTB) and hadn't gone outside... but the kindle hasn't left my side in last month. (Availability of my new favorite authors and ipod app combined to make it go from nifty convnenence to "CAN"T LIVE WITHOUT!")

So - for first time I was on the porch with a beer and kindle, and got direct sun - screen fades on the first page turn. Assuming this is the fun fade issue. Should it be able to display perfectly if it gets enough direct sun to start to warm up? Not talking baking in the sun here all day, but when the sun hit it for about 10 seconds, next page turn it was hard to read.

THey'll replace it, you think? It's close, but under a year. Do they replace with a K1 or a K2 (wouldnt care which - CF support doesn't mean much to me). What do you say to CS?

Twy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
got my replacement yesterday - UPS guy didnt even knock - just left it there at the door, which kinda bothered me cause it was sitting out in the box in the sun and was quite warm when i noticed it, but....THE 5 WAY WORKS! - there is no problemwith it that i can see - and it is really nice and sunny out today so i took it out and there was no fading that i could see.  i willl send back my other one at some point this coming week :)  and my case arrives weds :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts