Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I was in the planning stages for the covers of The Gifts Trilogy- I started thinking about the Twilight books. There is no way of knowing that they are in the fantasy genre...I still don't even know what the apple in the outstretched hands symbolized, but it looks pretty cool, and I loved seeing books that didn't have pictures of perfectly poised people on them. They seem to be everywhere!
So I guess I was kind of going for that. but now I'm thinking that maybe in the near future I will have to look at redoing my covers

Someone mentioned that they probably would not have glanced twice at the books based on the covers.

What do you think? Leave them or change them?

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
KateDanley said:
I think it could be really cool if you created a unified "brand" for your series. The nice thing about eBooks is that if you decide later on down the road you want to go back to what you had before, it's an easy game!
What Kate said. When books are in a series I like the covers to match. But then, I have a thing about matching everything. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, you know that I changed mine and it made a world of difference in my sales almost immediately.  BUT I didn't have any paperbacks out yet to go with it, so it was easier to make that change. You do have paperbacks for your book, which makes the change over a bit more tedious.

Maybe you can tell everyone here at the writer's cafe what your books are about (they are amazing by the way - if you love nephilim stories, you haven't read one until you pick up Patira's books) you have the covers in your signature so everyone can see them.  

What do you guys think about the covers?  What do they say to you?  Would they make you curious about the book?

I took a lot of input about my covers from other authors, cover designers, teenagers, old people (no, seriously) from everybody before I decided to change my covers and then I got opinions along the way too during the re-design.  :)

In the end, it was the best decision for me and for my book!  I say get a lot of opinions on what you already have before even considering it since you have the paperbacks to contend with.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not the traditional blurb (LOL):

The Gifts –Volume 1 of The Gifts: Trilogy-  is about a college girl, Nahla Marks, whose world is turned upside down by this "thing" that has manifested itself within her. She suspects something is happening to her, but she has no clue what. As the book opens she finds she isn't the only one living with a secret, and this "thing" is actually a supernatural ability that was stolen from "the man with wings" -a background character, whose own story is the basis of her new life-. Nine gifts were taken and transferred into human eggs, delved out through invitro fertilization, throwing human testing into a whole new meaning for them. Them being, her and Gideon, -silky smooth voice, chocolate brown hair and moss green eyes- He knew what was happening to her, because it had also happened to him. The gift of miracles living within him…it wasn’t such an easy tale to swallow, but there was no denying her destiny with the proof right at her fingertips, the gift of healing now a part of her. Freshly sprouted ivory wings, manifestation has taken place, and her journey begins.

Human just don’t fly, but apparently they do! Nephilim, angels, or half-breeds…definition was not so important. With acceptance also comes questions, and to be bound by the rules of the gift’s curse for a limetime -immortality didn’t seem like enough of a prize for the sacrifice-.  They needed answers; not only was the media after them in full force, but their gifts were also being sought by seekers – dark spirits that could take on human form- ready to free them of their gifts, even if death was the only option. Gone were the  minimal worries of college life, and the feud with her parents; Nahla is on a quest –as the story grows- to find the other seven gifts in exchange for her previously normal life. Though bound by its curse to never bear a child, she can’t help but fall in love with Gideon- who seems made for her in every way-. If they succeed they’ll be together; if they fail they’ll be together, their overall destiny so much bigger and more important than the two of them. Three months ago no one even knew her name, but now her quest has carried her through the jungles of Brazil, deep into the Amazon in search of a cave that has only been written about, and seen by one other person.

It was all true and when they finally found the “man with wings” -bound and chained in what was to be his prison for all eternity- , his words were a comfort, but a stinging reality for them all the same. The gifts could not just be returned one by one. They had been taken as a whole and would need to be returned as a whole. As long as the gifts remained lost from his possession the seekers would come and they would be bound by the curse forever. While their love could now be joined physically, their life together was getting off to a tumultuous start.

Don't want to make it too lengthy, but that is basically book 1 in a nutshell. This has been weighing heavily on my mind, and I just can't seem to figure out what I want. Money is definitely an issue, so considering that, and that stock photos available.... I have however seen some cover designers advertise on here for as low as $25 a cover...

Christine you gave me alot to think about in a good way. I'm so proud of your succes with Birthrights, and I'm loving your new cover!!!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I like the comments about some degree of unified theme. Also, I'd think very carefully about what the thumbnail images are communicating on their own, if the viewer hasn't read the blurb yet. For me, the thumbnails don't communicate much of anything, let alone genre. That's somewhat subjective, of course, but I'd aim for each one to communicate something clearly (at least genre, mood, YA or not, etc). So, yeah, I'd vote yes on trying some different covers. Best of luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts