Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking of changing FATALE EMBRACES cover and wanted to get some thoughts and options from other authors who have changed their covers.

The book was traditionally published and I had no input with the cover. The book did very well. It was featured in Cosmopolitan Magazine, a glowing review from PW, and Sony Pictures held the movie rights for 3 months. I mention the later because it received a lot of publicity and the cover was everywhere when my publishers released it. I kept the cover simply because I felt it had viewer recognition, however now that all the buzz is years past, and it’s now an ebook I don’t feel the cover is engaging and it doesn't say romantic suspense to me.

My only real concern I have is that there will be two book covers floating around and I don’t want to confuse readers. The hardback and papertrade will have the old cover (I can’t change that) while the ebook will have a new cover.

The cover is below...

·
Registered
177 Posts
You've got the "floaty faces" of two lovers on the right, but it's small. You've also got some dead space on your cover on the near-top left--or across the near-top, for that matter. I mean, the mountains are pretty, but you're right that it doesn't sell the genre.

Having two covers out there is a problem (I'm still trying to get an earlier one of mine off the internet.) So, what about simply changing PART of the cover? Your cover for "Secrets" looks like a romance because the lovers nearly kissing are so prominent.

(I had to edit this reply because I honestly didn't see the man and woman in your cover at first glance, even when I looked at the Amazon page for it.)

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I agree that it doesn't say romantic suspense to me. Even traditionally pubbed books freshen up the covers every now and again. I don't see any harm in changing it.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
ruecole said:
The hardcover and paperback editions of most books have different covers, I don't see why changing the cover for the ebook would be a problem.

Rue
That. Change it. See what happens. I had a series that had awesome covers, but they weren't screaming romance. The books were under preforming so I changed the covers. Dude, that was like pixie dust. They'd been hanging out around 100,000 and now they're in the 500s. Change it, see what happens.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Luckily you have the option to put "Second Edition" on your ebooks so you could just change the cover, note that it's the second edition and not worry about it. Plenty of authors change their covers all the time. Think about any book that gets turned into a movie, you'll suddenly see that book's cover featuring the actors in the movie.

An author I like, Laurell K Hamilton, has like... 3 different series of covers? On the same books. Her publisher kept changing the style of the covers to appeal to different readers. First they started out kind of suggestive but then they realized they had a strong male fanbase who did not like to carry those kinds of books, so they changed the covers to creepy tools and things which picked up on the horror plot line in the books. Now they've switched to sexy women on the covers to go back to the steaminess of the books.

So it happens and readers roll with it. You're not changing the title or the blurb so people will know it's the same book.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like Sebastiene's idea. You have a lot of black. Change the title to a color or have it white, move the mountain down and have the floaty faces at the top, your name cutting through them. This is actually a tried and true formula.
Don't worry about "confusing your readers." The mountains and the name of the book will trigger their memories. You simply need to find new audiences.
Tory

·
Registered
6 Posts
I do think it's a nice cover, but it would scream romance/suspense if you had a larger picture of couple on it. I did notice the couple at the top corner, but they get lost in the cover. I actually had to click on the icon and look in depth to see them.

It sounds like a really great read!

Good luck!

Angie

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Don't fear change.
Google image search on Raymond Chandler's Long Goodbye and you'll see at least fourteen different covers.
The Hobbit book cover was updated this last fall before the movie came out and there have been many.
I changed my book
http://www.thebookdesigner.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/The-Black-Jewel.jpg
to this
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Jewel-Gemstone-Series-ebook/dp/B006HYGX36
and sales went up.
Am I in love with either? Nope. I'll probably change the newest one again this spring.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Don't worry about whether you should or should not- do it because you want to. You can always change it back later.

And I can't believe Dalya hasn't chimed in on this thread- where's she at? She okay?

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
If you do decide to do it (I did with my first book), upload the original cover as one of the customer images on the product page and label it as the original cover. This *might* help avoid any confusion.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, just change it to something you feel fits the book and genre better. The right cover can - not always, but can - make a big difference in customer interest/sales.

I went through four versions of The End of the World before I felt I'd got the right one. Never had any blowback from it.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
CEMartin2 said:
Don't worry about whether you should or should not- do it because you want to. You can always change it back later.

And I can't believe Dalya hasn't chimed in on this thread- where's she at? She okay?
HIIIII! I have been editing. Yes, the OP should change the cover. The big mountain cover might be fine, but out of a myriad of choices, it wouldn't be my first choice for that genre.

As for results ... that I don't know. I don't think any of my own cover/blurb changes have improved things much, but at least I know I've made my best effort, and/or a variety of efforts. ;D

Speaking of blurb, the current one is a block-o-text. Needs a

tag or two.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
When AmazonEncore picked up my memoir, Silent Tears, they gave it a new cover.

Then when HMH sub-licensed print rights, they gave their version a new cover.

So I have 3 covers floating around out there. My original. AmazonEncore e-book. HMH Print.

I say you should change it!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Higher profile novels than yours have changed covers and suffered no ill effects. I would suggest you go with your instincts and get a cover on your work that you feel appropriately depicts the contents. I would also not stress about scouring the internet for earlier covers and trying to get them changed out. Waste of time, and probably futile. Just get the new cover on, announce it in your channels, and move forward.

Best of luck, can't wait to see what you end up with! :D

·
Registered
886 Posts
@Dalya, I just wanted to say that I am SO in love with the new bird cover on Practice Cake! All of your covers for that one have been beautiful, but this one's my favorite so far! I like the new Smart Mouth Waitress too.

To the OP, I'm on my third cover for EWTF, and I don't think I'm done yet. If you think about it, even trad pub books get new covers all the time. First a hardcover, then a paperback, sometimes a different cover for the ebook, then each foreign market gets its own cover, second, third, fourth printings, whatever. And then there's a movie tie-in version if there's ever a movie. And in 5-10 years when genre trends change, we'll all want to change them again.

It's kind of fun actually. It's like buying a new handbag for each season... or something. ;D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts