Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here on the boards read The Help?  Thinking of downloading it...been purchasing like crazy.  I had $25 GC from Amazon and $38.62 Grand Total $63.62 Yipee!! 

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I read it for vine, DTB, and it is a very good "period" read (as in time period  ;) ).  The characters are well developed and easy to bond with, for  lack of a better word.  I really enjoyed it.  It is on Kindle yet?
*Edited to add, DUH, obviously on kindled if your downloading it  8)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep...it's ready for K.  I was hesitant; only because some period pieces drone on too much about just that; and lose sight of the characters.

So, that isn't the case with the Help...

·
Registered
435 Posts
How useful can recommendations from strangers be?  Decide for yourself -- first by reading reviews to see if the subject interests you, second by reading the sample to see if you like the author's style and if the beginning grabs you or not.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I don't mean to be snippy, LibbyD, but if your reading reviews, aren't you, most of the time getting "recommendations from strangers?"

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I value the opinions on these boards.  

Some have suggested some great books...ones that I normally wouldn't have read. Also, some have steered me clear of some near disasters and wasting time and $$. If you let your likes and dislikes known; other members can be very helpful.  

LibbyD:  Some of the samples aren't really enough because some include the table of contents and preface which hog up the sample.  I have found the boards advice very helpful; they will be sure to let you know if a book drones on or not.

These boards have introduced me to new Authors and new Genres.  I have branched out since owning my K and joining these boards. My reading is much more diversified now.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That seals the deal: Ok all, I just downloaded.

Thanks for all your "help" pun intended!!

·
Registered
711 Posts
I read it a few weeks back.  I am a Southerner and grew up in B'ham, AL not long after the period the author wrote about.  This was a difficult read for me.  At times I wanted to put the book down and just walk away, but I never did.  All that happened back then - happened.  It was ugly, unjust, and wrong.  Nothing will correct it.  To me, turning my back or ignoring it would only add further insult. 

That being said,  :)  I would definitely recommend the book.  I, too, found the characters well developed.  And, as good books tend to do, it will help you grow.   

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ellesu: Thanks so much. Some books are a bit disturbing but in the end so worth the read. I found that to be true with the Glass Castle...Though the subject matter bothered me I loved the book. I value your opinion. I agree, the past can't be changed...but we surely can learn from it. It can teach us what "not" to do.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I read it a few weeks back, and recommended it to many friends. So far everyone has come back and thanked my for the recommendation.  I loved it!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I downloaded a sample. I don't think I've ever seen so many five star reviews for one book! It certainly looks worth a try.

L

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will add my hearty recommendation for The Help.  My family is from the South, and has a history of having "help" as in the book.  I don't remember my parents employing anyone, but their parents and many friends did.  It is a pretty accurate representation of the time, and the characters are very well developed.  I read through it very quickly because I enjoyed it so much.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have to agree with Leslie:  So many 5 star ratings across the board...that's what originally caught my attention.  I also downloaded Fannie Flagg's 1. Can't Wait to Get to Heaven and 2. Standing in the Rainbow for the same reasons.  (Besides:  I LOVED...Fried Green Tomatoes and she had a hand in that as well.)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I got this one to review for Vine a couple of months ago and loved loved loved it! I lent it to my mom when I was done, and she loved it too. I hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Buy it

·
Registered
14 Posts
I couldn't put the book down.  I was disappointed when I finished.  The characaters were so well developed that you knew them and wanted to know how their lives continued.  Like a previous poster, I have recommended this book to several people who came back and agreed that it was great.  I have not heard one person say anything negative about it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts