Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother's birthday is coming up and lately she's been reading a lot of books. So I thought why not get a kindle for her birthday. She's going to be 50 and I was wondering if it'd be a good idea to get her one?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I personally think that for a reader there really is no better gift.  Having said that there is a 30 day return policy, so if for some reason your Mom doesn't like it you can return it for something that she would like.  I love my Kindles and just can't think of a reason why someone wouldn't want one.  Just my 2 cents worth.  Happy Birthday to your Mom.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm a little older than your mother -- and I LOVE mine.

It fits in my purse, I take it everywhere, it is light, I can see the words.... it's all good.

I think it would be a lovely gift.

Sheila

·
Registered
278 Posts
Have you asked her if she would like one?  Or has she said anything about wanting one?

we talked about getting one for my MiL, and finally on our last visit I asked her if she had any interest in one, and showed her our K3s.  Man what a rant I got!  She absolutey loathes the technology and is very firmly in the "I want to feel and smell my book" camp ;)

So glad I didn't listen to her husband or son - cause she definitely doesn't want to try it~

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I would say YES.  I know many that have said they didn't want one and liked the book smell and holding a book BUT then fell in love with the Kindle.    My husband was one although used a friends which changed his mind.    We both read so much more since getting kindles. The Kindle is very techno-friendly in my opinion. 

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Where does she get her books? If she buys them, a Kindle might be a good idea. I'd definitely try to gauge her reaction to yours before taking the plunge, though.

If she checks out books from the library, a Nook or Kobo would be the better bet. Amazon is supposed to come out with library borrowing but it isn't here yet.

If she trades books with other people or gets them from a bookmobile or somesuch, she's probably better off with paper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I am coming up to that dreaded age myself and have just had to buy a SECOND Kindle because my other half (who is generally very sceptical of new technology) will not give mine back!

He loves the fact it is so easy to hold in bed, likes sitting out reading it in the garden even in bright sun (the e-ink is very good and no glare from the screen) and the fact that he can be carrying a whole heap of books with him - so that whatever he feels like reading its all there in one compact package.

I like the fact that you can adjust the font size - so if you've had a hard day and can't find your glasses... you can just make the print bigger and carry on.

You obviously do need a certain amount of computer literacy - but basically you just need to be able to search and buy stuff on Amazon and it all gets downloaded to the Kindle automatically.

I would have loved to have received one as a gift - so I would say GO for It !

Good Luck.
EC

·
Registered
6 Posts
My siblings and I got my mother a Kindle for Mothers Day last year. She was 50 at that time.

She LOVES it. She takes it everywhere she goes and she's always reading during those 10 or 15 minute breaks she has during the day. She especially loves to read it before bed and has said it's a lifesaver when she goes on vacation.

For someone who loves to read, I say go for it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm well over 50 as are my sibs & we all have them & love them.  And I think we were each surprised about that - we're all totally dedicated readers. If she doesn't want to buy books & likes the some of the same types you do, you can add her Kindle to your amazon account.

I recently travelled across country & virtually everyone I saw with a Kindle was probably at least 45.  Most of the people who asked me about mine were in the same age group.  The Kindle is easy on our aging eyes!

·
Registered
316 Posts
If my mother was still alive, I know she would have loved one.  in her late eighties, she found hardcovers too hard to hold when reading in bed.  She was an avid reader.  Changing the font size would have been a bonus!  Go for it!

·
Registered
951 Posts
You never know.  I never once thought my 87 year old grandmother would want an ereader (electronics tend to scare her) but while she was over the other day she mentioned wanting to try one of ours and see if it would help her with her reading.

I would talk to your mother and see if she has any feeling about ereaders one way or the other.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Flechette said:
we talked about getting one for my MiL, and finally on our last visit I asked her if she had any interest in one, and showed her our K3s. Man what a rant I got! She absolutey loathes the technology and is very firmly in the "I want to feel and smell my book" camp ;)
This. I know if my grandmother or mom gave the Kindle half a chance, they'd absolutely fall in love, but both of them are anti-technology for anything that's even remotely computer-related.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I advocate getting her one.  However, I do offer a cautionary tale.  My dad got me mom and ereader for Christmas two years ago.  My mom loves to read, so it seemed like a natural fit.  However, my mom is not very technically astute.  You would think that an ereader would be easy to use...but no.  She still buys her books in hardcover or paperback and has never used her ereader.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Flechette said:
Have you asked her if she would like one? Or has she said anything about wanting one?

we talked about getting one for my MiL, and finally on our last visit I asked her if she had any interest in one, and showed her our K3s. Man what a rant I got! She absolutey loathes the technology and is very firmly in the "I want to feel and smell my book" camp ;)

So glad I didn't listen to her husband or son - cause she definitely doesn't want to try it~
See, this is why I wouldn't ask. If she actually had one in her hands she might think differently (not your MIL necessarily, but the OP's mother) - someone who doesn't like the idea might, in fact, love the reality. This board has lots of folks who were originally naysayers but now love their Kindles. ;)

And if you give it to her and she doesn't like the idea, well, just let her know she has 30 days to give it a fair shot so you can return it if she doesn't like the reality. :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
If she's anything like my mother, she may need to have it shown to her, but then she'll be all over it.

At first, mine couldn't grasp why anyone would want an ereader. When I explained (and pointed out great things like how she could travel by air with as many books as she wanted at her finger tips, how she could buy tons of books w/out using any more shelf space--which she doesn't have anymore, etc.), she was sold on the idea.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I gave my then 68 year old Mom a Kindle DX, which she lost. A month after she lost it she told me how much she missed it so I got her a DXG which she loves.

·
Registered
278 Posts
We have given my MiL multiple opportunities to play with ours, showed her the features - the chanagable print, the text to speech... etc  no go

and she is an avid reader, but she is anti tech unless you're talking about cameras.  I'd say most people would probably love a Kindle, but there are a portion of peeps who are going to hate it no matter what and my MiL falls in that camp~

Her last comment was " if anyone gives me that piece of trash I'm not going to speak to them ever!"

hmm.... now if I thought she actually meant that.... lol ;) :D

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Flechette said:
We have given my MiL multiple opportunities to play with ours, showed her the features - the chanagable print, the text to speech... etc no go

and she is an avid reader, but she is anti tech unless you're talking about cameras. I'd say most people would probably love a Kindle, but there are a portion of peeps who are going to hate it no matter what and my MiL falls in that camp~

Her last comment was " if anyone gives me that piece of trash I'm not going to speak to them ever!"

hmm.... now if I thought she actually meant that.... lol ;) :D
I hear you - my MIL would've been a prime candidate for a Kindle a few years ago - actually it would've needed to be a reader that worked with the library since she's been an avid library reader. Now I don't think she could manage it, and sadly you could probably just keep giving her the same book over and over and she wouldn't remember that she'd read it before. :'(

But yep, your MIL definitely sounds like she's made up her mind. :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would fish around and try to get a feel for what she thinks about the idea. That way it can still be a surprise but you'll know for sure if she'd be interested in one. I think it would make a great gift.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts