Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, now that I've got your attention. ;D

If you are about to upload a new book to Amazon, or have recently done so -- maybe consider checking it first in the Kindle Previewer. Download it from here http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000765261

I've recently seen quite a few posts (on other forums) from writers who cannot understand why they are getting reviews that mention bad formatting. They checked it on their Kindle after all! :-\ Thing is, there is more than one kind of Kindle, and the Previewer lets you preview (hey!) it on them all.

Yes -- it's not perfect but it will catch most problems.

To test, try this:
View on the "paperwhite" setting to see if the font size is displaying correctly
Click the TOC button to see if the reader "knows" there is a TOC
Click the "NCX" button to see if your book has a logical NCX
Try change the font size and type -- some books are "stuck" on a particular font which makes some reader furious (why-are-you-are-forcing-a-font-on-me!!!!!)
Page through the book to see if chapters break on a new page.

For more info https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=19rCOqH-q_YWNO6nPCFVbRwjKKCcUuvnc1k9QAcwOdrE

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and another thing.  Make sure your version of the Previewer software is up to date.  They keep changing it!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Darn. I wanted to make a comment about the unusually evil eyes that goats have and how that might be an impediment to a long-lasting marriage (not to mention what the kids would look like [pun would've been intended]), but your post has deviated from the title.

However, thanks for the good info!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Aawww... I thought this would be about a reviewer posing as a goat and the goat loved your books and left wonderful reviews. :( :)  :-\

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
T.K. Richardson said:
Aawww... I thought this would be about a reviewer posing as a goat and the goat loved your books and left wonderful reviews. :( :) :-\
:-\ A lovely image. His reviews would be interspersed with "meh..mehs". And he would have a unnatural interest in the mention of tin cans. :-\

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I think George still does goat reviews...

(And have you noticed he's awfully quiet? Usually when someone even mentions the word 'goat' he appears. Just sayin'...)

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
I pre-viewed my latest book on the pre-viewer they supply when you upload, which I believe is the Kindle Fire, and everything seemed ok. (I used Word) I have downloaded the other pre-viewer, but I didn't use it because if there was a problem using another device I wouldn't have a clue how to fix it  :-[ Putting my head in the sand and hoping  ::)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jan Hurst-Nicholson said:
I pre-viewed my latest book on the pre-viewer they supply when you upload, which I believe is the Kindle Fire, and everything seemed ok. (I used Word) I have downloaded the other pre-viewer, but I didn't use it because if there was a problem using another device I wouldn't have a clue how to fix it :-[ Putting my head in the sand and hoping ::)
I'm fairly sure that that previewer is not as reliable as the downloadable one :-\

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
T.K. Richardson said:
(And have you noticed he's awfully quiet? Usually when someone even mentions the word 'goat' he appears. Just sayin'...)
Even my evil, slitted eyes cannot be everywhere and see everything instantly, y'know. :)

I didn't think this thread was about me. (I only think the ominous-sounding threads about unprofessional people or jerkwads are about me.) I just thought someone else had joined the revolution and written a book about a goat. And, for the record, I'm not sure what a goat review is, but I don't think I've ever left one anywhere.

--George, anyway, they rate things with apples, not stars...

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
He appeared!  ;D

Not sure what a goat review is either, but I was most certain you had (and do) review them.

And a full confession here - I, too, am partial to goats. Pygmy goats that is. I used to raise them. And I love that goats are the second smartest barnyard animal. Second only to the pig, but I think that's up for debate... Still, George, I think you are King of the Goats.

Wear your crown well!  

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
T.K. Richardson said:
Not sure what a goat review is either, but I was most certain you had (and do) review them.
I have, no really, a review on That Book from someone with the username "goat lady". Does that count?

I could totally see reviews of camels, though...

210 of 211 people found the following review useful:
** Terrible

This was the cheapest camel on Amazon, and eligible for free shipping with Prime (of which I am a member), so I foolishly ordered one when I once again had need of a camel. Learn from my mistakes, people. I wound up with a foul-smelling, foul-tempered unmotivated brute who constantly schemes against me and delights openly in my every misfortune. It's like being in an abusive relationship, right down to the dirty looks and ill-timed flatulence. When I attempted to return this monster, I was told the company doesn't accept returns after more than twenty-four hours, and they refused to make an exception no matter how much I begged or argued.

Rated two stars mainly because it was cheap and shipping was fast and free, but, really, save yourself a world of trouble and buy a different camel. If it's a choice between this camel or going without while you save money for a more expensive one, go without.

Updated after three months: Recently this damned camel has begun farting
constantly. Like, even in its sleep. I called the seller, and they hung up on me. I emailed Amazon, and they responded that some variance is to be expected in natural products, that constant sulfurous flatulence is within normal parameters for this model, and that none of the problems I've listed qualify as a defect in material or workmanship. Thanks, Amazon. Thanks for nothing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts