Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Get the DX?

I got the KK in October after Oprah's $50 coupon offer and was immediately enamored w/it.  Then along came the K2 in Feb and I jumped on that one as well.  My thought was that the KK would be my "travel" Kindle and K2 would sit safely at home on my nightstand.  But the best laid plans go by the wayside......:)  I ended up downloading most of my newer books and newspapers to K2, so I have been taking it w/me more than KK.  I have recently dusted off KK again and returned to my original idea.  Then Amazon announces the DX!!  I've read many very positive reviews and the main reason I would buy it is for the larger screen size.  I don't need the PDF function and the auto rotate is nice, but nothing I "need".  Can you get through a book faster w/fewer page turns?  I also don't know if only having the buttons on the right hand side would bother me.  Depending on where I'm reading and how I hold it, I use both sides on my current Kindles.  Has that been an issue for anyone?  I've also read the controversy on the weight and that isn't much of a concern for me.  Do those of you who have the DX plan on traveling with it or is the DX the "stay at home" Kindle?  Thanks for any thoughts!

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I know what you are talking about. I got the KK with the Oprah discount and loved it. Then out come K2. I resisted for a few months, but decided to get it. After getting it I realized I wouldn't use the KK so sold it. The DX is interesting, but I don't have the pull to get it like I did the K2. For me, it is to big. I travel a lot and wouldn't want to take it with me. I think it is a personal decision and whatever you feel is right.  :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ruby296 said:
Get the DX?

I got the KK in October after Oprah's $50 coupon offer and was immediately enamored w/it. Then along came the K2 in Feb and I jumped on that one as well. My thought was that the KK would be my "travel" Kindle and K2 would sit safely at home on my nightstand. But the best laid plans go by the wayside......:) I ended up downloading most of my newer books and newspapers to K2, so I have been taking it w/me more than KK. I have recently dusted off KK again and returned to my original idea. Then Amazon announces the DX!! I've read many very positive reviews and the main reason I would buy it is for the larger screen size. I don't need the PDF function and the auto rotate is nice, but nothing I "need". Can you get through a book faster w/fewer page turns? I also don't know if only having the buttons on the right hand side would bother me. Depending on where I'm reading and how I hold it, I use both sides on my current Kindles. Has that been an issue for anyone? I've also read the controversy on the weight and that isn't much of a concern for me. Do those of you who have the DX plan on traveling with it or is the DX the "stay at home" Kindle? Thanks for any thoughts!
Ruby,

Read my reviews on the Dx in "Returning the Dx" thread and also "Dx review" thread. Trust this will help in you in forming a decision.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Lord I know what you mean - I think I would LOVE the DX for cookbooks and knitting books and I do have a few other books that I think the format would work better for - but I just can't do it right now - maybe the next version will be the one for me -

You know what I wish you could do - somehow - either from the Kindle direct or thru Amazon - for things like a cookbook or a knitting patten, or for my own notes and highlights I would love to be able to print things out - lots of times I print a pattern or a recipe so I can use that (like the pattern I carry in my knitting bag - and recipes I print so I can not worry about things splashing on them)

edited to close up my ()'s ;D

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I know how you feel, I like to keep up-to-date with my gadgets as well.

That said, I am foregoing the DX, I simply do not have a good use for it. I've been wanting to get a new laptop, so I decided to use the $489 that I would have spent on the DX to fund my new MacBook Pro, which I am putting to much better use.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Personally, I love the DX, but then again, it's my first Kindle, so I really don't have much belonging to another Kindle. I've already spent WAY too much on accessorizing my KDX. If you are on the fence, like I was, I say go for it. Test drive it for a few days, if you don't like it, go ahead and return it. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I love my new KDX,and even though I had a K1 and a K2,I wanted the KDX as well.
I love the big screen,more words per screen,so not as many page turns.
I don't find myself missing the left side page turn buttons at all really.
My KDX is my at home Kindle.
I just started using cookbooks on it, and the ability to have a page displayed on my KDX on it's side is wonderful for cooking and reading the recipes.
All in all I am very glad I took the plunge and bought one :)
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm gonna wait & see if any of my textbooks are available on it.  Then maybe I can justify the $.  (Yes, I'm going back to school AGAIN.  sigh.)  For me personally, the portability issue is the main thing.  I mean, initially I looked askance at the Oberon covers because they looked too heavy.  Now of course, I'm just in love with their designs, but clearly for me, the DX is just too big to lug around everywhere.  Now before people start throwing rotten fruit in defense of their beloved DX, let me make it clear that I don't even like big purses.  If I can fit in my keys, wallet & sunglasses, and a tube of Burt's Bees chapstick, I'm good.  So for ME, the DX is too bulky. 

Kim

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for sharing your perspective on the Kindle DX.  I think at this point I'm going to hold off and wait and see what the 4th version might bring.  It seems that Amazon is constantly tweaking/working on newer models so it shouldn't be too far down the pipe before that happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts