Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seriously do not know what to do.  I have five days left for my 30 day return.  I love my kindle2!!  I have my decal girl skin, my noreve case in red and have been very happy.  Now, do I return her and wait for the new one??  I don't want to feel I have an "obsolete" model.  What would you do??

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I have a K1.  I DO NOT feel like it's obsolete.  I love it, love it, love it.  One of the very best things, if not 'the' very best thing I've ever bought for me.  Except for my divorce, that is.   ;D
When K2 came out I thought about 'upgrading' for about ten seconds.  Have not regretted my decision for a minute.
Good luck with whatever you decide.  Let us know.
deb

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have had my K2 since March and can't even imagine returning it... Why because there will be something new... There will always be something new out there. Ask yourself do you really love it or is it a status symbol..

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Depends what your other options are and how you use it. If it's your only kindle and you don't have an iphone and you want portability I'd keep it. If you have k1 or the ability to read on your iphone and will be using it exclusively at home or really want native .pdf ability I'd send it back. I wouldn't want to to return it if it was only kindle source, especially since we don't have an official release date for KDX. You could be without any kindle for a month or more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ordered mine 3 days before the announcement, it's still in transit.  I can't believe the timing!  I also ordered a medge case, decal girl skin and a waterproof case.  At this point I'm leaning towards keeping it, I think the K2 size is more attractive for reading books and portability but I do wish Amazon had made it known that the DX was imminent so we could have chosen one or the other at check-out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have to agree with the above.  Having a kindle shouldn't be about having the latest and greatest.  If having the newest gadget is that important to you, then return the K2.  If you are happy with the original purchase...keep it.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
From Amazon's front page:

"The Kindle DX page has a side by side comparison with Kindle so you can choose the right one for you."

Even Amazon isn't considering the K2 obsolete. Though their "side by side comparison" is a complete joke, it doesn't cover half of what's relevant.  LOL

If you have to have the latest thing, send the K2 back and get the DX.  If you have business or school or other solid reasons to switch, get the DX.  But if you're happy with the K2 and the only reason to change is because you think it's already obsolete, save the extra $150 or so & buy some books with it!  ;D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just pulled her out of my purse and looked at her, and she said "keep me, keep me, keep me"!  So what was I thinking???  I love the size and the ease that I can take her everywhere!  I really don't care if I have the latest gadgets, I just didn't want to feel later that I made a bad choice!  Thanks for such fast replies. 

Besides I could use this extra money to buy an Oberon case and the waterproof case and maybe even books!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
See, wasn't that easy? 
deb

·
Registered
723 Posts
I thought I heard her say "Give me to Eric..."

Eric

Saylorgirl said:
I just pulled her out of my purse and looked at her, and she said "keep me, keep me, keep me"! So what was I thinking??? I love the size and the ease that I can take her everywhere! I really don't care if I have the latest gadgets, I just didn't want to feel later that I made a bad choice! Thanks for such fast replies.

Besides I could use this extra money to buy an Oberon case and the waterproof case and maybe even books!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Still a trainer of dogs... said:
I thought I heard her say "Give me to Eric..."

Eric
I think that was the voices in your head.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Saylorgirl said:
I seriously do not know what to do. I have five days left for my 30 day return. I love my kindle2!! I have my decal girl skin, my noreve case in red and have been very happy. Now, do I return her and wait for the new one?? I don't want to feel I have an "obsolete" model. What would you do??
I have a K1 and K2. The K DX holds no attraction for me. I don't enjoy reading newpapers on an electronic device and I have no need for school textbooks. Also, the larger size would not be as convenient to me as my K1 and K2. I am also a 'techie' who always has to have the latest model of everything but I don't see the DX as the next model in a progression - just a different model, kind of a sideways step.

You have to ask yourself what your needs are. Do you need the different features of the DX? If so, then buy it.

Also, if I thought I wanted one, I would wait until it comes out and read all the reviews here. I pre-ordered my K2 and, even though, I love its features, I am awaiting the arrival of my 4th one because of sun fading. I think if I had waited for all the reviews, I may have held off on buying the K2.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Still a trainer of dogs... said:
I think they are two quite different beasts.
I agree. They are aiming at different types of reading: recreational (K1, K2) vs. more technical (PDFs, charts, maps, graphs, textbooks). They complement each other, it's not one vs. the other. Some people might never need a DX while there may be more technical types who wouldn't want a K1 or K2 (my husband might fall into this category).

I preordered the DX but will be keeping the K2, too. I have to bug my publisher about putting my journals on the DX.

L

·
Registered
54 Posts
Now take this for what its worth coming from a guy that just pre-ordered a DX today.  I would not give up my K2 for a DX especially it that was my only Kindle.  Amazon mentioned that the DX would be released this summer, which could make that as late as September 19th or as early as June 20th.  Even if its the latter I couldn't imagine going six weeks without my Kindle.  4 1/2 months would drive me completely insane.  So if this is your only Kindle, I say hold on to it enjoy it and wait for DX2 (probabaly available for Christmas).

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
From my stand point... I wanna get a Kdx, but I don't want to give up my k1. One would be for school use and the other is for leisure

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think trying to compare the Kindle and the KindleDX are like comparing apples to oranges. They are not the same thing and were designed to meet different needs. I didn't even consider for a second trading my kindle in for the DX since all I do on it is read and allow me to read is what it does perfectly.

I can certainly see the DX market for the college student but and there is a very big but ......... how many of the required text books they need will be available for kindle and will they be much cheaper than their paper editions? After almost a $500.00 outlay I would hope there was more benefit then not carrying around heavy books.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts