Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pre order went live...technically yesterday now.  There is one small error I'd like to fix (a single word typo near the end).  I can re-upload the file now.  But...the last time I updated a file on a story, my keywords and categories were completely changed.  :eek:  :mad:  Took a few days to get it all fixed.

I really don't want them changing anything now.  Should I risk updating the file to fix the one-word typo...and possibly MY DOOM?  :eek:

(Okay, things look dramatic at this time of night...what can I say?  Any advice?  :-X :-[

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Everyone's afraid to answer.

How bad is the typo? About a year after my first book was published, I discovered a period was missing in one of the sentences (about halfway through). Nobody caught it but me (and I proof read it over thirty times before I published it).

Not sure why your categories would change. All you would be doing is uploading the file. You don't have to modify or change anything else.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that's what I thought last time.  It was probably just a fluke, but I don't want another fluke to happen in the important days of early release.  They can be critical, you know?  You want your categories not to get shifted around. 

The typo is basically "go" instead of "so."  An alert reader found it and emailed me.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
There's no right answer. I found an indent that an otherwise great formatter didn't indent and let it go for the time being because it was in the middle of the book and wasn't critical. I'm updating the whole story and will fix it this time around. No matter how conscientious you are, a typo will creep in somewhere. I would probably let it go for now and upload again in the future.

Good luck with the new launch.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I re-upload my files all the time - usually to update links to other books - and with no dire consequences. This is on books that are already for sale. I also update multiple times during the preorder period, but I wouldn't mess with a preorder that's supposedly locked, i.e. during the last 10 days, no matter how bad the typo was.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts