Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to put up book 2 of the Sara Bear series and, based on numerous posts here, I decided to not enable DRM. However, you cannot remove DRM on an already published book, meaning I would have the first book DRM enabled and the second one not enabled.

My question is... I made changes to the first book (like adding an 'other books' section) and need to re-submit anyway. Should I unpublish the first book and resubmit it and the second as new books? Or just leave DRM enabled, update the epub file, and submit the second book as non DRM enabled?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Al Schneider said:
I'm getting ready to put up book 2 of the Sara Bear series and, based on numerous posts here, I decided to not enable DRM. However, you cannot remove DRM on an already published book, meaning I would have the first book DRM enabled and the second one not enabled.

My question is... I made changes to the first book (like adding an 'other books' section) and need to re-submit anyway. Should I unpublish the first book and resubmit it and the second as new books? Or just leave DRM enabled, update the epub file, and submit the second book as non DRM enabled?
You'll cause utter and mass confusion if you do that. Just make it available elsewhere without DRM if someone asks about it. Then chalk it up to lesson learned and don't use it in the future (if you so choose.) The vast majority of users are not aware of it, and don't care. Those who do care often know how to strip it and do. There are some who won't buy it (but they often won't buy from Amazon at all because most of the books have it.)

I'd just move on and go forward from here, FWIW

·
Registered
613 Posts
B. Justin Shier said:
Cudos for going DRM-free. Your readers will thank you.
Ditto.

I wouldn't re-publish the book (whic would loose all the reviews and so). However, since you plan on updating it, I would add at the start of the book that you've since changed your policy, but there are problems with Amazon for removing the DRM. You just propose to provide a DRM-less copy upon receiving a mail with proof of buying...

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
"I'm getting ready to put up book 2 of the Sara Bear series and, based on numerous posts here"

Ask those folks if they only buy non-DRM books. Might be interesting.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
MariaESchneider said:
You'll cause utter and mass confusion if you do that. Just make it available elsewhere without DRM if someone asks about it. Then chalk it up to lesson learned and don't use it in the future (if you so choose.) The vast majority of users are not aware of it, and don't care. Those who do care often know how to strip it and do. There are some who won't buy it (but they often won't buy from Amazon at all because most of the books have it.)

I'd just move on and go forward from here, FWIW
Another vote for this.

Vicki

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Jon Olson said:
I still don't understand the DRM debate. Any help?
On one side, you have people who are overprotective of their work and don't understand that the DRM technology only deters legitimate, non tech-savvy customers from reading your book on all of their devices. The DRM doesn't work and never will (in regards to stopping the dissemination of your work to torrent sites). We haven't gotten a reliable DRM technology for any other electronic good that has ever been made, and anyone who tells you their firewall, software, eBook, etc. is unhackable is selling you snake-oil. I've seen every kind of technology there is hacked. Open Source, Closed Source, DRM, non-DRM, SSH, SSL, USB keys, etc., etc., and ESPECIALLY on a pure software platform, you CANNOT guarantee any protection from hacking because a smart person with a lot of tools can inspect the software representation and find out what they want to know.

We're even doing research right now in the field to detect contents of any archive, data submission, etc. based on the amount of electricity that has been used during a run of a known algorithm (e.g. if we can monitor your electricity usage, and we know the source code and compilation settings of your code, then we can discern the data that was sent or used). The same thing can be done with processor usage on a single processor system in a real time kernel with high priority for a snooping process but is less reliable. Additionally, all it takes is one of your product being hacked and it's torrented, and this can happen with a simple trojan installed on someone else (a paying customer's) machine that reads the unprotected memory segment that houses your unencrypted version.

On the other side, you have a lot of people that understand DRM is ineffective and only hurts valid customers. People that would have never purchased your work, don't value IP, and will read your work regardless of what you do to stop them, will still do so. Additionally, we understand that people "pirating" your work is overwhelmingly actually just sampling of your work or copying a legitimate purchase to another medium. Many authors like
have even gone on record to detail their results in intentionally "pirating" their works to torrent sites and noticing the difference in sales because word of mouth started to spread from these outlets to paying customers through recommendations. Take down notices are useless and do nothing to help your sales. They just waste time spent on writing or building your brand.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
There is another side that does recognize any DRM scheme can be broken, but they are concerned with the extent of copying rather than the existence of copying. They acknowledge copying will happen with DRM, and they do not claim DRM will eliminate it. They seek to contain it. Hence, they are unmoved by observations that DRM can be broken.

They also doubt many people care about DRM since we have seen huge gains in eBook sales while most of the published work carries DRM. A recent count showed 18 of the top 20 Kindle eBooks carried DRM.

But regardless of what side one is on, there is grossly insufficient data to demonstrate any side is correct. It remains an individual decision by each producer and consumer. We are free to choose. Perhaps the market will point the way.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I think a lot of people don't have a clue what it is when they first publish a book - and why should they? I was very lucky that I asked a friend (and hardly anyone in UK was publishing to kindle at the time) and they told me not to. I don't see why it has to be so complex - involving unpublishing and publishing again - but do what the experienced people say.

G

·
The DRM argument sometimes drives me up the wall.

A frequent argument is that if you let folks freely pass your book around, then there'll be someone (who didn't pay for his/her copy) will really like your book and will "buy" your next book.

Hmmm.

Why doesn't Microsoft and Adobe use this theory so their software sales will really, really zoom. I can get a pirated copy free, then I'll really want to buy the next version.

Suppose instead of words, we created sculptures. Then we can just let anyone make a plaster cast of the things and make sculpture copies for their friends, who will no doubt stand in line to "pay" for our next sculpture.

Copyright laws were created a long time ago for "our" benefit. I think I'll stick with them.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Since I've been down this road, perhaps I can lend a little insight. You basically have three options.

1. Don't publish a DRM version.

2. Publish a DRM-FREE version of your book in addition to your non-DRM edition. Your product page will feature the link to the other edition. Simply add "DRM-FREE" to the title or product description to distinguish the two versions of your book.

3. After you publish the new DRM-FREE edition, you can go with your original idea to unpublish the DRM version. Your reviews from the DRM edition will be automatically featured on the DRM-FREE product page. So you don't have to worry about losing your reviews even after you unpublish the old version. However, you will lose your tags and any existing links to the old version of your book will no longer work.

The easiest way to go about this is to choose option #1 or #2. However, if you decide to go with option #3, you may want to update any links you have on the web (where possible) to the new version of your book.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
"I don't see why it has to be so complex - involving unpublishing and publishing again - but do what the experienced people say.'

I can't say why one has to unpublish and publish. But we do know the only time the DRM button is an option is when one first uploads the book. At that time, one can choose YES or NO. After the first publishing, one can change book text, blurb, and price, many times. The DRM option displays, but it can't be changed.

Kevis,

How do you get two books with different titles on the same page? As I understood what you said, one can be Good Book, and the other can be Good Book DRM Free. I'm not concerned with the DRM issue, but with the mechanism that is in play here.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Okey Dokey said:
Why doesn't Microsoft and Adobe use this theory so their software sales will really, really zoom. I can get a pirated copy free, then I'll really want to buy the next version.
They do.

Adobe offers their Adobe Reader application for free to drive sales of their pricy editor. Same goes for their consumer Flash apps.

Microsoft provides their software near free to elementary schools--and at deep discount to students--in the hope of making future sales. See: http://www.academicsuperstore.com/ And don't get me started on the masterstroke that was Internet Explorer. I do believe they were sued because they made it free. And yes, I know they pre-packaged it too--but that their competitors feared the tactic is even more telling, isn't it?

And let's not forget that Apple basically survived the 90's by hooking the kiddies with the subsidized macs they provided to colleges.

Etc. etc.

Okey Dokey said:
Copyright laws were created a long time ago for "our" benefit. I think I'll stick with them.
DRM-free and copyright law are not mutually exclusive. My work remains copyrighted unless I revoke those rights in writing. But if I provide my work DRM-free, it remains easier for my customers to experience my work in the way that they prefer. This furthers my goal of providing the best reading experience possible for my paying customers.

Oh, and I'd like to remind everyone that we are being trolled ;)

B.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
TheSFReader said:
Ditto.

I wouldn't re-publish the book (whic would loose all the reviews and so). However, since you plan on updating it, I would add at the start of the book that you've since changed your policy, but there are problems with Amazon for removing the DRM. You just propose to provide a DRM-less copy upon receiving a mail with proof of buying...
Except that people against DRM aren't even likely to sample and frankly if the first thing I read when I opened a sample or a book was some paragraph on DRM (rather than story) I'd leave so fast the electrons would create a vacuum and bring down Amazon entirely. Seriously. 90 percent of readers don't know what DRM is. It is not a world-wide issue or cause to get so up in arms it deserves the opening spot of a novel.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Al Schneider said:

Don't you click on "edit this book" then upload a new file and this time check the no DRM box?

I thought you could update this without unpublishing/republishing, etc.

It will be unavailable for a few days until it updates but I thought with this you keep all your reviews and the customers don't notice anything nor need to be advised.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts