Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Either one is correct. Canceled is more common in the US whereas cancelled is more common in the UK.

Merriam Webster the US dictionary says either is okay and I don't recall spell check in Word's US dictionary ever flagging cancelled. But then I'm not sure if I've ever used that word.

Grammarly says it depends on where you live.

Even my predictive text adds cancelled.

Cancellation has 2 ls wherever you live.

For an international audience why not use

abandoned
scrapped. Extra p
dropped. Extra p
postponed
mothballed.
scrubbed. Extra b
scratched
axed
nixed

·
Registered
590 Posts
Trying to take away my right to double-L, huh?  Someone has to take a stand for the small, the silly, the swill and the holla.  Pull together all our intelligence and yell, ally for cancelled!

(Kidding!  I like canceled way better)

·
Registered
118 Posts
For US readers, canceled is more frequent. At least according to Merriam-Webster.

The main thing to remember, as Decon mentioned, is that it's always cancellation and never cancelation, because language isn't fun without those little exceptions.  :p

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Two LLs, all the way.

I was taught phonetics in grade school. Apparently the US official determiners of proper speling decided otherwise.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I was once informed I did a terrible editing job. Their evidence--I'd not noticed the word "canceled" was misspelled.

(Yes, I'm still bitter.)

-J

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jb1111 said:
Two LLs, all the way.

I was taught phonetics in grade school. Apparently the US official determiners of proper speling decided otherwise.
I would guess it's always spelling and never "speling" because the root word is spell.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
jb1111 said:
Two LLs, all the way.

Says the person who spells things much differently than anyone in England did in the past. I always get a laugh out of the people who don't get how languages work. Do you write everything using Shakespeare's spelling? You don't...? Why not? How about English from a thousand years ago? Wow, almost none of your words are spelled "properly".

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a list of words I Control+F after proofing if the writer is in a Commonwealth nation and the book is set in the U.S. After checking with the author to see if they want U.S. spelling. I have read books by UK authors my entire life so my U.S. eyes don't always catch the "-our" when reading. I always find more when I C+F. Sorry for alignment. They are in columns in my text but not in the preview.

Commonwealth to US spelling

Neighbour         neighbor
Vigour vigor
Rumour rumor
Favour favor
Flavour flavor
Honour honor
Saviour savior
Colour color
Demeanour demeanor
Behaviour         behavior
Parlour Parlor
Towards         toward
Backwards         backward
Afterwards         afterward
Manoeuvre maneuver
Pyjamas         pajamas
Artefact         artifact
Sceptic skeptic
Defence         defense
Offence offense
-tre         -ter
-ise         -ize
-isation -ization
-yse, ysing -yze, yzing
-ence -ense
-elled -eled
-eller         -eler
-elling -eling
Medical terms very different, Google (US--gynecology)
Hyphens         US use a lot fewer, eg: nighttime, newborn, reelection
Medication         US ibuprofen more common than acetaminophen, which is US version of paracetamol 

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
H.C. said:
Says the person who spells things much differently than anyone in England did in the past. I always get a laugh out of the people who don't get how languages work. Do you write everything using Shakespeare's spelling? You don't...? Why not? How about English from a thousand years ago? Wow, almost none of your words are spelled "properly".
Phonetics, man, phonetics. I prefer phonetics over modern, non-phonetic speling, but that's just me I guess.

I myself don't spel the way they did in the 1500's, or even the 1600's for that matter. But I also loathe modern, creative American spelings like "tonite", "rite", "nite" and the like. I guess that makes me diferent. So be it.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
jb1111 said:
Phonetics, man, phonetics. I prefer phonetics over modern, non-phonetic speling, but that's just me I guess.

I myself don't spel the way they did in the 1500's, or even the 1600's for that matter. But I also loathe modern, creative American spelings like "tonite", "rite", "nite" and the like. I guess that makes me diferent. So be it.
Yet it's not phonetic. Across even the small country on England the pronunciation of this word has several IPA pronunciations. Brush up on your phonetics!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts