Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a big fan of the classic monster vampire, stalk 'em and stake 'em. Nowadays the romantic and sparkly vamps seem a lot more popular. I admit, reading a lot of horror and urban fantasy, I am kind of tired of the vampire boyfriend stuff and long for the good old days when Chris Lee was Dracula. What about readers? Are you tired of all the kinder gentler vampires around today? Or do you say bring 'em on?
Cheers,
Howard

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
No, no, no! Vampires don't sparkle! I just don't get it - why *would* they sparkle anyway? What evolutionary benefits would sparkling give them? And what story benefits did it give Edward Cullen? I don't see the point personally.

Don't get me wrong - despite my initial misgivings, I did actually enjoy Twilight. And I don't have a problem with sweetening up vampires. But sparkling?

Although I did feel sorry for Bella. Not much of a lifestyle choice - cold dead vampire or hot smelly werewolf? But at least she could save on her heating bills with a werewolf and still enjoy a good curry!

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I assume you don't mean literally sparkle, as that's a Twilight convention and it would be almost plagiarism IMO for anyone else to use it. But if you're asking whether there should be kinder, gentler vampires in general, that's up to you and your preferences. I prefer the good old days myself, but the current trend has, at the very least, gotten young teenage girls interested in vampires. That was, I'd imagine, a previously untapped sector of the potential vampire market. :p

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol, Deb. But on the bright side, it does give Bella a chance to say, "Oh, look, shiny!" a lot!
One of the more frightening vampires I've seen was in the first Kolchak: The Night Stalker movie (which came from the Jeff Rice book.) I am, though, a big Barbabas Collins fan, though he may be in a way responsible for much of the modern romantic/sympathetic vampire thing, or at least made it popular. But I prefer my vampires mean and medium rare!
Cheers,
Howard

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Try Blood & Ice. Vampires with a twist. I thought this was quite clever.

Or Nancy Baker's vampires are OK too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been reading some of the Morganville Vampires YA series, which isn't too bad. Couple of the vampires are a bit more intimidating.
Cheers,
Howard

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I haven't, Evan. Is the Hammer Let Me In movie based on that, do you know?
Cheers,
Howard

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Sparkly vampires give off fireworks-like sprays of light as you smoosh them to pieces. Very entertaining.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ugh. I don't have enough time to write how much the Twilight series annoys me. The sparkly vampires was just rediculous but what annoyed me MOST was how weak Bella is. She doesn't show any backbone until the very very last book. Stephanie Meyers wrote these books aimed at teenaged girls and as such the main character should be able to need constant rescuing. I swear that the entire time unread the books I wanted to shake some sense into Bella.  Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Vampires should not sparkle. That's a crime against God and nature!

I also prefer them as evil predatory creatures, but sympathetic ones are OK if the story as a whole is interesting enough.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I'm afraid I'm in the "who cares?" camp on this. Vampires have been done by Bram Stoker et al way back when, Stephen King and Anne Rice have written what many consider great books about them; so why would anyone need to write or read more? It's sort of like writing a novel about humans, halflings, elves, and dwarfs banding together to beat some evil overlord -- it's been done: write something original, for Pete's sake! (Parodies and satires about vampires may be OK, though. ;) )

(The preceding reply was only half serious, as I realize there are many good books that I've read that have not been particularly original in that respect -- but that means I'm still half serious about it.)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
evanlavine said:
vampires should not sparkle. Have you read Let The right One In? Amazing modern Vampire book!
I haven't but I might just have to go and take a look. Thanks for the recommendation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Never, nor should they be vegetarians!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just finished writing a book about the modern vamp. I wonder if I should re-think it? Naw. Bela Lugosi and Christopher Lee made their marks and they will survive forever.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts