Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While doing revisions on my novel, I am yelled at (for good reason) when I decide to tell instead of show. Since this, I've become more critical of my entertainment media, looking for good examples.

Last night, I saw a wonderful example of show, don't tell. I was at the drive-in movies, watching Super 8. In the opening scene of the movie (sorta spoilers), the movie opens in the inside of a factory. A sign hanging from the ceiling says "Accident Free-768 days." A man on a ladder climbs up and pulls the numbers down. Cut to next scene: a boy in a black suit sitting outside on a swing, holding a locket. Before anything else is said or shown, I know that somebody important has died. Brilliant.

I use these images as my own mental guidelines. I would be interested in hearing some of your favorite Show, don't Tell moments.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have yet to see that movie, but that's a great example! I can't think of any specific moments off the top of my head, but it's been ingrained in me from years of English teachers pounding it into me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Super 8 is fantastic, and I thought the same thing about the opening scene.

·
Registered
768 Posts
In Iron Man 2 (spoiler alert!):
Tony Stark's dad Howard tells him that "the future is in your hands." And on the movie screen (inside the movie we are viewing) there is a picture of the Stark Expo from 1974 flashing between the ARC reactor and a building on the map. Howard Stark didn't have the power to complete his experiment in 1974 but in Tony's time he knows he will.

Meanwhile, Tony is thinking that his dad didn't have time for him and love him very much. Howard Stark then said in the movie within the movie to Tony: "My greatest invention is, and will always be, you."

He shows Tony what the key to saving his life is without ever telling him or the viewers as well as the depth of his love for his son. Great scene.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts