Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  All,

I just discovered a positive side effect in my writing process that started when I began using Scrivener: Since I write each story section or chapter in it's own page, I don't incessantly tinker with the previous chapters. Instead of constantly re-writing old stuff, I actually focus on what I need to write right now! :)

It's made my first draft process far more efficient.

Keith    ;D

·
Registered
719 Posts
This is an excellent point! I color code where I'm at with each file by using Label colors showing in Binder.

Once I finish a file, I mark it as "First Draft" and don't look at it again until ti's time to go back and revise. Any changes that involve me going back to change stuff I've already written get put into a notes file and they get cleared as I revise (instead of going back and changing them while still working on first draft stuff).

Once I have revised a file, I change the color again to indicate the update. Once everything has been "revised", it gets compiled and sent to my kindle where I do 1 more read through. Once that is done, I set all labels to "Final" and it's ready to be published :).

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
My side effect is that my entire series is in one file! When I need to compile, I just check the folder of the one book I want to publish and uncheck the others. It ensures all my series look exactly the same. LOVE.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
  These are all sweet! I'm totally not a power user for Scrivener. I'm more like a lame version of Dr. Strange from Marvel Comics. I have the power of being Earth's Sorcerer Supreme, and all I use it for is to boil water for tea. Seriously, Scrivener is rocking my world, but I haven't unlocked a tenth of its functionality.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Keith Strohm said:
All,

I just discovered a positive side effect in my writing process that started when I began using Scrivener: Since I write each story section or chapter in it's own page, I don't incessantly tinker with the previous chapters. Instead of constantly re-writing old stuff, I actually focus on what I need to write right now! :)

It's made my first draft process far more efficient.

Keith ;D
I was just thinking this morning that what you've described is probably one of my biggest problems in getting a first draft completed. I'm always going back to tinker with this and that and anything else I can get my fingers on.

·
Registered
719 Posts
TexasGirl said:
My side effect is that my entire series is in one file! When I need to compile, I just check the folder of the one book I want to publish and uncheck the others. It ensures all my series look exactly the same. LOVE.
I should consider doing this. I like having my word counts goals accurately reflected, but get annoyed with dragging each of my series up into the compile field every time I need to update.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
One reason my productivity in Word was kinda slow was because I write chronologically and I'd agonise over the transitions between scenes. With scrivener I started writing only in scenes, the compiling them and reading them, figuring if the scenes needed transitional narrative. In most cases, they didn't.

I do open a new Project for every book, but I've made a template on formatting and compiling that makes sure that all the Amsterdam Assassin Series books will look exactly the same. It's also quite easy to drag extraneous material [the stuff that comes after the main content, like the About the Author, Acknowledgement, Reviews] from one project to the next.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Scrivener improves my organization only slightly.  I'm working on a project that has a binder stuffed with absolutely everything, and it's already become difficult to use even though I've only just started writing the book.  However, in the pre-Scrivener days I wrote so many different versions of one particular book (Lantern Slides from Old Bohemia) that I don't have the stomach to clean out and dump the old versions.  It's a horrific black hole I'll never touch. 

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I am also a huge fan of Scrivener and consider it utterly indispensable.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Best thing I ever did to make my writing career fun was buy Scrivener. Formatting is so easy with Scrivener that only the distributors have the power to cause me formatting grief, and that I can easily solve with Scrivener in a few minutes. Scrivener is like Captain America's shield!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
It really does change the way you write. A netbook with the full screen option is incredibly distraction free. I'm just looking forward to when both versions are up to date!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I've found that it keeps me more focused, even now I'm not using chapters at the moment for the story I just make files for each narrator and keep switching between the two. Nice and quick.

I'm not using it for Black Sheep as I've gotten too used to my way of working on it in word, but I am using it a lot when working on my other stories because it gives me more overview of the story, especially when using the split screen to go between different chapters to compare things, or to keep the outline on one screen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts