Kindle Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

· Registered
5,207 Posts
I'm not legal to drink. Usually I am the one driving home from the family parties...depending who I arrive with. Sometimes I get to spend the night at another family members' house, cuz I get to be the to drive them home since no one else can.

· Registered
509 Posts
Gables, funny you should mention that! I was sipping the 1792 earlier this evening....I've found that it varies a bit from bottle to bottle...this one had a bit of ethanol to it, but still very pleasant with a small splash of water. Odd that I should mention that, because Booker's is my all-time favorite Bourbon and I usually taste the ethanol in that, too...

For a refined, milder sip it's Woodruff Reserve. For a little more raw and adventerous, Bullit. When I can find it, Pappy Van Winkle reserve but I don't think there's many bottles made per year.

· Registered
1,299 Posts
Teninx said:
Gables, funny you should mention that! I was sipping the 1792 earlier this evening....I've found that it varies a bit from bottle to bottle...this one had a bit of ethanol to it, but still very pleasant with a small splash of water. Odd that I should mention that, because Booker's is my all-time favorite Bourbon and I usually taste the ethanol in that, too...

For a refined, milder sip it's Woodruff Reserve. For a little more raw and adventerous, Bullit. When I can find it, Pappy Van Winkle reserve but I don't think there's many bottles made per year.
They are small batch so each bottle comes from a different batch and that is why you notice the difference. Woodford Reserve is good, there are a few Bourbons available only in KY that are very nice, but a bit of trip for me to get. :)

· Registered
1,194 Posts
So, when I drink I prefer bourbon -- not whiskey.  I told this to someone and they told me that bourbon and whiskey are the same thing.  NOT!  I don't drink very much or very often.  However, I would like to know exactly what the difference is, besides the fact that bourbon tastes so darned good.

Today, my signature drink is a cappucino with nutmeg lightly sprinkled on the top.  :-[  Oh my gosh -- I think it would be easier to admit to Mountain Dew. 

· Registered
1,299 Posts
Bourbon is not decided by age but by where it is made and how it is made.  In order to be Bourbon there must be at least 51% corn used for the mash, it must be aged at least 2 years in new charred white oak barrels, and made and bottled in Kentucky.  Whiskey can be any grain such as corn, wheat, rye etc. used in the mash and it made any place.  Jack Daniels is not Bourbon since it is made in Tennessee, it clearly says it is a Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey.  I lived in Kentucky and know that Kentucky is very proprietary about the Bourbon designation.

· Registered
1,182 Posts
I like Bourbon-it's DH's drink of choice, but I really prefer a good Single Malt Scotch. One of my favorites that is available where I live is The Balvenie Doublewood. Yum!  :D

· Registered
27 Posts
My drinks can go with the mood.  Good old standard is vodka and tonic, twist of lime.  Also margaritas on the rocks with salt.  If it's cold outside and not feeling too good, well a shot or two of Irish Whiskey will fix me up real nice.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.