Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that there is a significant difference in the darkness of the text on my kindle when I refresh versus page turns. I know there are a lot of people having issues with the text/contrast. I did install the wonderful font fix and it has helped tremendously. I still notice a significant difference when refreshing my screen though. I wanted to make sure everyone else has the same issue, if not, maybe I need to exchange my unit.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have noticed this too!  I actually have been starting my reading by refreshing and refresh every couple of pages.  I thought I was just imagining it so thanks for posting about it!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Mine does not have the sun fade issue and shows the same symptom. The text is readable on a page turn but is noticeably darker after a crtl-G. OOPS that's Alt-G

·
Registered
147 Posts
what does a font hack actually do?  I do notice a lighter shade of print on the K2 compared to the K1.  Does a font hack do anything to darker this?  Is there any update yet to darken the font?

·
Registered
70 Posts
checked this out at lunch today and yep, i would have to agree.  after an ALT-G refresh the text does appear darker than than a 'next Page'

using the font hack now but it sounds like this may be irrelevant

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Alt-G does improve the font contrast on some K2's more than others. What it appears to do is bring more of the desired "pigment" to the surface. It makes the whites whiter and the blacks blacker where they hadn't reached full b/w previously.

Comparing my two K2's, the one that has excellent contrast to start with is much less changed by Alt-G than the other.

You might notice the ghosting in the white background. When you press Alt-G, the ghosting should be considerably reduced. What appears to be happening is that on the first screen refresh, the pixels don't quite make it to their target gray value. Each time you press Alt-G, it forces the pixels closer to the desired value. For example, if black is 0 and white is 15, if a pixel starts at 0 on one page, then the screen switches to a page where that pixel should be 15, it will often not make it and might only be, for example, 12.  Press Alt-G and it might get to 14. On the really good K2's, it can get all the way from 0 to 15. The worse ones have a harder time making the switch.

If you see a lot of ghosting when your k2 switches to the screen saver (i.e. you see "shadows" of the text you were looking at before it switched to screen saver), then you should probably return your k2 for a replacement. There's a direct relationship between how much ghosting the screen has and how much better the fonts get when you press Alt-G.
You should NOT have to press Alt-G to get a good screen display.

The enhanced fonts help mask this problem because the fonts are bolder and darker to start with. So even if they don't quite reach their desired blackness, they're bold enough that they're still very readable, whereas the native Kindle fonts are very thin and in small sizes, many of the characters don't have a full outline in black, so if the screen has a hard time reproducing blacks, then the characters are quite low contrast.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I notice the alt/G darkens the text even with the font enhancements.  It doesn't last, however.  With the next page turn, it returns to normal.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone for responding and the great explanation from Ted-San. I'm really wavering back and forth as to whether I should exchange the unit. It does creak a little bit but nothing I can't live with and I'm nervous that I'll get one that is worse than the one I have now. I do have some ghosting when the screen saver comes up and I always have to do a refresh after I wake the kindle up. (I've read that just about everyone does that though) Even though I've installed the font hack, it still gets uncomfortable to read after a while. I think the big thing is the darkness of the screen. If it was just a little bit less gray (dirty looking) it would be better. Wish I knew someone who had one that I could compare it too. (My neighbor has a K1 but I think that is an apples to oranges comparison from what I've read)

Ugh....indecision, indecision.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts