Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
My Kindle is a K2 US (B002A) running version 2.5.6. Based on my past experience with hard restarts, sometimes my Kindle reindexes but usually it doesn't. Similarily, sometimes it resets the date/time to midnight 1 January 1970 and sometimes it doesn't.

I just redid the test and, with 4 pages of collections and over 1000 items on my Kindle, this time the clock was reset to 11 PM on 31 Dec. 1969 but the Kindle did NOT reindex as no items are shown as not indexed. (Somehow it remembered I was in Arizona and not on daylight savings time but in December?) I did my standard search for "brillig" which has the advantage of being both a nonesense word and one that is found in only 4 items on my Kindle so all the results plus the number of unindexed items show on the first page. ;) Since I have so many items on my Kindle, the search takes about 4 minutes.

It seems to me that my Kindle has decided to reindex when I have deleted several items from my Kindle.

OK, turning wireless back on so my date and time are correct and items I open will not go to the end of the list. I reopened Calendar Pro so that it would not be at the end of the Active Items list and it sees that it is once again 2011. ;D

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
;D

I think it's because the search is a little bit smart and knows there aren't any real words that begin with two or three random consonants. It would probably take longer, though if you searched schxgqz because there are words that begin sch. . . . At least, that's my analysis, but who knows! :)
What was funny is that after I did the xcvbn search, then I searched again for brillig in order to time it. That search only took a few seconds! Not sure if it was it still had the previous search in memory, if it had the index in memory, or if my Kindle had needed a restart for some reason. To check if it was the previous search, I did a search for slithy; that also came back in a few seconds. Who knows!

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
I was using brillig and slithy as I do have the Alice books on my Kindle and I wanted to check that the word was found. Even if the word is found, the Kindle will display the number of unindexed items if any items are unindexed. What I found interesting was that a search for an indexed word was faster after doing a search for a non-indexed non-word.

However, if I am doing a check just for unindexed items, I will use a non-word string.

I decided to do a retest while writing this post. I did a search for "xcxbcbxbxcxd" and it took my K2 over 2 minutes to return the No Items response. NOT very fast. I followed this search immediately with a search for "brillig" and the four items where the word was found was returned in a couple seconds. Very strange. A repeat search for "xcxbcbxbxcxd" then only took a second or so. I suspect that the index might be loaded into memory.

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Annalog said:
Even if the word is found, the Kindle will display the number of unindexed items if any items are unindexed.
Morf said:
Ah, I didn't realise that, I've never had the "unindexed items" problem, so I was just going on what I had read elsewhere. Apologies for the confusion!
That is OK. ;) If there are unindexed items found when searching for an indexed word, the number of unindexed itrems is displayed at the end of the search list. That is why it is best to search for a string that will not be found or for a string that will only be found in one or two places.

One of the causes of books that will not index (and related battery drain due to the Kindle constantly trying to index the book) is a book file with a corrupted location. One cause of corrupt locations is downloading a book over a weak and unreliable wireless connection. Since I live at the edge of 3G phone service, this was a problem for me in early 2009 when I had problems with books with corrupt locations. I learned to make sure I had a strong signal first, download via my computer, or check to see if the book indexed. At least one time the sample on Amazon was corrupted when the book was OK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.