Kindle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20,523 Posts
It's not the turn off that forces a re-index, it's a hard reset (holding the power button for about a minute and allowing a full reboot).  This has happened to me a few times when the kindle has frozen and I've had to reset it.

·
Registered
20,523 Posts
NogDog said:
Makes sense -- sort of. (I'm not sure why a hard reset would have to erase the index file, but maybe the developers figured a corrupt index file might be one potential cause that would require a full reboot?)
the hard reset seems to wipe EVERYTHING. actually, i should say "seemed" because i've not yet done it on the new DX. when the kindle reboots, it does not immediately show all the books that were on it, they reappear in batches. so, it seems to reload and reindex.

·
Registered
20,523 Posts
Morf, unless you've done a search for a dummy phrase, you might not "see the effects" of re-indexing.  As I said, I've not had this happen on the new DX, but I speak from experience on my old one where I had this happen a few times.  And I know it was re-indexing because I did the search.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.