Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This poor Kindle is really getting a workout. As soon as I put it down, somebody else picks it up. Even my 11 year old (the only person in the house who isn't really into reading) has gotten hooked.  This morning, I came out and carefully laid my laptop, Kindle, and iPhone on the dining room table. I went to the kitchen to get breakfast. When I came back, the Kindle was missing! I found my 11 year old on the couch, reading. I thought I'd just be on the computer and let him read for a while. I heard my husband go in and ask my son to do something. "Can I just finish this page first, please?" (music to a mother's heart). I had to laugh at Mr-I-Don't-Do-Screens response--Finish that page and then it's my turn!

Wait a second. Whose Kindle is this, anyway????

·
Registered
621 Posts
So, you DO know what this means, right?  ;D

More Kindles will head to your house.... don't try to fight it...it is inevitable... ;D

patrisha

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
If you can get an 11 yr old that doesn't like to read all that much to enjoy reading (as in let me finish this page) it might be worth adding another Kindle to the family :D 

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Check out the Bargain thread here, you can probably get your 11 yr old a good used kindle at a good price.  Dad can wait LOL it is important to get the kid going  ;)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Haha, that's great. My husband was against me buying a K2 because he doesn't think it would be worth the $350 I spent on it. Then I got it, and I'm pretty sure on the odd day where I'm at work and I forget my Kindle at home, he reads some books on it. He's trying to be sneaky about it, but he's bad at hiding stuff.
But you should look into getting a K1 for your 11 year old. If it makes you kid WANT to read, I say go for it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My kindle was mine for less than a week. By the end of week 2, my husband had his own and I got mine back. ;D He's already talking about getting one for our daughter (6) when she's a bit older, so I imagine we'll be a kindle family for quite awhile.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Yeah, I know how you feel.  I've read one chapter in the DX.  My son is on book 3 and my wife is on book 2.

But I do have my K2 to keep me company.  ;D

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
lol sounds like more Kindles are in your future :)

I am lucky I don't HAVE to share mine hehe

1 of the upsides to being single and no kids ;D

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I've maintained full custody over mine, simply because the Kindle isn't quite what the BF wants in a reader. He wants an eReader, but isn't tempted by the Kindle itself. (Wants fewer buttons, and not so much bezel around the screen. I want that too actually. I wish they'd apply the DX's design to the K2/3.)

Nevertheless, he does complain that I'm always in the middle of a book so he can't borrow it to try it out :)

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Lol! I know exactly what you mean. Mine kept disappearing into my then 13 yr old's room every time I put it down. That lasted for a few months and then we wound up getting her one for Christmas. Now that she has an iPhone, she doesn't use it nearly as much. She actually enjoys reading on the iPhone.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
As a reading teacher, I think it's wonderful that your 11 year old who wasn't into reading is grabbing yours whenever he gets a chance. You have to be thrilled about that! (Well, except for the part about it being YOUR Kindle that he's reading.  ;))

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I was reading on my iTouch, Thor. Then I got my Kindle and now my husband has taken over custody of Thor. I miss the little iTouch, but I'm glad he's got that to read instead of taking Sunny (my Kindle). Still, I suspect it's just a matter of time until my DH gets a Kindle of his own. I'm sure he has his eye on the DX.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My 24 year old son was playing with my DX yesterday, reading my Sunday Times (cheap at $.75 issue).  Unfortunately, I can't get my wife to try it.  She isn't thrilled with devices, and the DX is big for her small hands.  Guess that means it is all mine.  Heh, Heh, heh!

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
There are K1's for sale for $250 on Amazon right now. Think of it as an investment in your Son's education. Then get your hubby one for Christmas.

My SIL got a Kindle as an early birthday gift when the K2's came out. My fiance and I wondered how long it would be before my Brother ended up buying his own Kindle. I had two weeks, the fiance had 1 week. My fiance won. (sigh) My nieces and nephews are asking for Kindles now.

The moral to this story? In a family of readers, everyone needs their own Kindle. Otherwise you are never going to get to read in peace.

·
Registered
704 Posts
It sure sounds like you need another Kindle. I dont' know how I could ever share mine...... I use it so much, at all hours of the day and night.
Kdawna

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
ProfCrash said:
My SIL got a Kindle as an early birthday gift when the K2's came out. My fiance and I wondered how long it would be before my Brother ended up buying his own Kindle. I had two weeks, the fiance had 1 week. My fiance won. (sigh) My nieces and nephews are asking for Kindles now.

The moral to this story? In a family of readers, everyone needs their own Kindle. Otherwise you are never going to get to read in peace.
In my case it will be inevitable. I suspect I'll end up having to buy 3 more of the things before the year is out. I hope it can wait till Christmas.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I know the feeling, I have a younger daughter who's been boring mine an awful lot lately. I ended up purchasing one for my elderly father, and perhaps I'll have to get my daughter one as well.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
kdawna said:
It sure sounds like you need another Kindle. I dont' know how I could ever share mine...... I use it so much, at all hours of the day and night.
Kdawna
I had to give my old one to my daughter when I got the K2 :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts