Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one question about Kindle formatting.
Has anyone been able to create single Kindle book which has 2 different fonts within different section of that book - in this case, main text would be in latin with small portion in cyrillic? Does anyone know is that possible?

After many tests it seems Mobipocket creator can't do it, but maybe direct intervention within HTML code could somehow solved it?

Best Wishes.

·
Registered
986 Posts
technically . . . yes you can use the font face tag around your text ( it's this: text ) or you could probably create a style sheet if the section was big enough that it would be worthwhile designate it (like you would for chapter headings, etc). BUT!!!! the question is does the kindle support latin and cyrillic? If it doesn't, then the html tags aren't going to work. What you would have to do then is create an image of the (for example) cyrillic text and insert it as an image. You will probably have to either find a kindle book in cyrillic or call amazon to see if they support it to find out. The image thing might work better anyway- I know the more html I mess around with, the more likely it is I'll mess it up. But, they do it with elvish in LOTR, because it has supported footnotes within the elvish passages, so I would assume if they are going to support a made up alphabet they would probably support all the real ones . . . however I recall seeing a thread here a few days ago about Chinese characters not being supported, so who knows? I hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dkgould. I am aware of using images but trying to avoid that solution in this stage.

After many hours of research, it seems that the theme of my question is possible. I am having some success but much more tests I have to do to sort it perfectly. Thanks so much for adding new layers to possible solutions.

dkgould said:
technically . . . yes you can use the font face tag around your text ( it's this: text ) or you could probably create a style sheet if the section was big enough that it would be worthwhile designate it (like you would for chapter headings, etc). BUT!!!! the question is does the kindle support latin and cyrillic? If it doesn't, then the html tags aren't going to work. What you would have to do then is create an image of the (for example) cyrillic text and insert it as an image. You will probably have to either find a kindle book in cyrillic or call amazon to see if they support it to find out. The image thing might work better anyway- I know the more html I mess around with, the more likely it is I'll mess it up. But, they do it with elvish in LOTR, because it has supported footnotes within the elvish passages, so I would assume if they are going to support a made up alphabet they would probably support all the real ones . . . however I recall seeing a thread here a few days ago about Chinese characters not being supported, so who knows? I hope that helps a little.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts