Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because my g'ma worries so much about being late... I got to the airport 3 hours early....

So I'm sitting here, had just pulled out my laptop to goof off for a while, and my cell rings..
my DS#2 says," Hey mom, whatcha doing?"
"just sat down to goof off on my computer, waiting for my plane."
"You're sitting down? Good. This is a gooood thing you sitting down.. I am GLAD you are sitting down."
***unease rips through me**
"why is it a good thing?"
"um... You know I love you right mommy?" from *Mr. big man* 18 year old child..
"what happened?"
"um.. Your car will be home soon as the tow truck gets here to get it."
"why?"
"It kinda lost an argument."
"With what?"
"a big pickup" (I have a 2003 ford focus)
"are you ok, is the other person ok?"
"Yeah, everyone's fine... except your car. Your car may be in car heaven"
"ok.. as long as everyone is ok, that's what insurance is for. cars can be replaced, people can't, but if I get a new car, you're not driving it for a while."
"I can live with that."
***mumbling happens on his end of the phone***
"mom, dad's here, and so are the police.. I love you... gotta go..."

And I get to board in an hour.... almost 4 hour flight home.... yeah.. lots of time to think..

·
Registered
20,441 Posts
Reminds me when I had to call mom COLLECT (this was before cell phones) and assure her that while I was alright, the car was totaled and I was stranded in Pennsylvania on the Friday before Christmas.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ack! I'm glad everyone is okay. Kudos to you for handling the situation well, and I hope the flight home isn't too stressful.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Glad he is OK!  Two days ago I got the same "are you sitting down" call.  Our new 2011 Mercedes that we had been saving years for was hit by a bus!  DH was fine.  He was sitting in his parked car at the time.  When we get it back, I will feel I can drive it now.  The first has happened.  Four thousand in damages.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I assume this is our favorite son!  I know it's not funny, but knowing your son's history I do find it a bit laughable (once I read he was okay).  I will really miss hearing about this tonight and everyone's comments.

Welcome home!!!

·
Registered
20,441 Posts
spotsmom said:
I assume this is our favorite son! I know it's not funny, but knowing your son's history I do find it a bit laughable (once I read he was okay). I will really miss hearing about this tonight and everyone's comments.

Welcome home!!!
Well, i don't think she'll be home in time for chat, so we can harass her on Wednesday. Enjoy your dinner tonight.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
spotsmom said:
I assume this is our favorite son! I know it's not funny, but knowing your son's history I do find it a bit laughable (once I read he was okay). I will really miss hearing about this tonight and everyone's comments.

Welcome home!!!
Yeah SM.. It was "THAT son". The other one totalled my van about 18 months ago.. somehow dad got the new car that time and I ended up with his...

The only thing I am worried about even a little bit at this point is, my school parking placard was up in my visor, and they didn't grab it when they got everything out of the car before it was towed away. Class starts monday morning.

NapCat said:
"...may be in car heaven..."

I just love this kid !!!
We are blessed to have three kids with good senses of humor Napcat. It's one of the first things their teachers have always commented on when they meet us.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I did something similar in my senior year of high school. I was out with friends and a cute little golden lab puppy came up to us. My friends, who live in the neighborhood, have never seen her or another golden lab in the neighborhood. They are convinced that I need to take her home because a) Mom, sis, and I need a dog and b) I've got a huge yard for her to play in. They coax the puppy into the floorboard of my car. I drive home...

"Mom, I gave into peer pressure. You need to come out to the car."
(My mother tells me she's thinking "Oh God, she's been drinking and wrecked the car.)
We get to my car and I open the back door..."See?" pointing at the puppy.
"She's So Cute!" Mom picks up the puppy, takes her inside and wakes my little sister up. "Look what your sister brought home!"

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually, the flight wasn't ruined. It was an hour delayed, and by the time it took off I had decided that I wasn't going to stress out because A.) everyone was ok, B.) Insurance would deal with everything, C.) Me getting a stomach-ache worrying for 4 hours wasn't going to help anything or anyone, and D.) It wouldn't change anything in the mean-time.

after getting home, I found out that one of his best friends had fallen asleep at the wheel just a few hours earlier, rolled the family van 4 times, and walked away... So I got to be doubly thankful "my boys" were ok.. Then last night while talking to said best friend, he told me his older brother had been rear-ended about an hour before he rolled the van.. so 3 accidents within about 3 or 4 hours all to young men I knew...and no one was hurt... just damage to vehicles.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
This is my funny sibling car wreck story.  I have one brother who was not very mature for his age (he threw a remote @ my head when I asked him to leave my room so I could study, I was 23, he was almost 27).  When he was 22/3, he went to hang out w/ a girl that he used to date.  She was getting ready to leave for something big (college?) and told my very not ready for commitment (as in, would only date girls for 2 wks before breaking up w/ them) that if he married her she wouldn't leave.  My bro was in such a hurry to get out of there, he wrecked the kid's car (ie, the car my parents bought for $500 so the new drivers would have something to go to school and jobs in, all of us had to share).  The car was flipped upside down and the only thing salvageable was the stero system (Crankenstein speakers, etc).  Of course, it was still in the girl's driveway (her parent's lived way out in the country and their driveway was almost 1/2 mile long), so Bro had to hike back to her house to call my dad (pre cell phone days).

After the accident, bro thought we should all be thankfully he survived the wreck w/ only a small bump on the head and that we were putting too much stress on the fact that we would have to take the bus to school and catch rides to the mall, etc (he also conviently forgot about the fact that he was leaving to go back to school a few wks later).  Thankfully, a wife, 2 kids and a mortgage has made this brother much more mature (as those things tend to do) and I'm sure he's a much better driver now than he was 10 or so yrs ago (not that I've ridden w/ him lately, he lives in Australia now)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
R. Reed said:
Reminds me of the old "The cat went out on the roof" joke. At least it didn't end as badly and everyone is okay.
I think of that joke a lot.

Glad everyone was okay and I get the impression your son is pretty slick about playing his mama's heartstrings -- or thinks he is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts