KBoards.com banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, folks around here know me as a romance author who has been writing for a living full-time since November 2013. I keep my pen name private to minimize any drama. Believe me, I've seen a lot of drama in the indie space and ain't nobody needs that! People in my romance mastermind group (closed to new members) know who I am, and that's good enough for me.

It can be done. Not everyone will succeed who tries. For those who want a career as an indie author-publisher, if you have a plan and implement it, not giving up when things don't first succeed, and if you keep trying to understand the market and master marketing, you have a chance!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I love hearing these kinds of stories.  How brave of you to change genre too, best of luck with the scifi (all the best people write it  ;D ;D ;D)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Great post!  What do you mean when you say wide distribution but cycling into KU?  Do you release KU to start, then go wide after three months?  I have a romance pen name, as well as my regular name, and I've been contemplating taking my main romance trilogy wide next month.  I've had two Bookbubs in the far past, and they both resulted in my biggest months ever.  The first book has always done well with any free runs, and thinking of permafree in also hopes of getting another Bookbub.  I'm starting to feel as if KU isn't doing as much for me as it once did.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Thank you so much for this post.  :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks for this, Sela, and congratulations on all your success!

Question: If you had one piece of advice for AMS users, what would it be? I'm still fidgeting, I've taken Dawson's course, and I have some decent results but am still wondering if the simple fix would be to tweak more, more often. Would love to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for sharing your success. It's nice to know that hard work and an attention to detail, coupled with a strong understanding of who your market is, can pay off.

·
Super Moderator
10,086 Posts
Thanks for sharing, sela! I hope your thriller/romantic suspense books hit it out of the park. :)

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
sela said:
It can be done. Not everyone will succeed who tries. For those who want a career as an indie author-publisher, if you have a plan and implement it, not giving up when things don't first succeed, and if you keep trying to understand the market and master marketing, you have a chance!
Very true. Congratulations on your milestone. Great post!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Woah, I can't even imagine writing 8 novels featuring the same couple. It is hard to do 3 novels for one couple for me. Very interesting post. Thanks for taking the time to write it out! Writing to market is both the easiest and hardest thing. For those of us who consider ourselves "above" the market (in terms of liking 'classier' books), it can be frustrating. But if I gotta churn out the millionth badboy romance novel for a fraction of the pie... well, I'll build a bridge and jog over it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can vouch for Sela's method.  I didn't quite break the six digit mark last year, but doing the same as she did (publish regularly & write to market) got me that far.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
levolal said:
Woah, I can't even imagine writing 8 novels featuring the same couple. It is hard to do 3 novels for one couple for me. Very interesting post. Thanks for taking the time to write it out! Writing to market is both the easiest and hardest thing. For those of us who consider ourselves "above" the market (in terms of liking 'classier' books), it can be frustrating. But if I gotta churn out the millionth badboy romance novel for a fraction of the pie... well, I'll build a bridge and jog over it!
Writing to market and writing to trend are two different things. You don't have to write to trend in order to write to market.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts