Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...she named quick and I in the title. (I don't know why I rate so highly) If you're stopping by that way, maybe give her a kind word on her efforts to keep that place decent.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Hello all...
So glad you liked my poem.  I dedicate it to all the regulars who make sense out of nonsense.  The board is a refreshing change; makes me want to write to Oprah and say "thanks-a freakin'-lot" now do a damn follow up show that answers Kindle questions and How-to tidbits.

My next poem will be about the trolls.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
SJC,

Oprah could have done so much more in terms of explaining or showing! Ack!

She talked about buying a book on a plane while the plane is taking off... a very iffy use of Whispernet if I may say (even on her own plane).

She talked about NowNow which while cool, has to be one of the least used features of the Kindle, IMHO.

She showed her home page and Jeff Bezos' showed his homepage. Okay, fine. That was worth 5 seconds, not the 5 minutes they gave it. And Jeff kept repeating the junk about the cyrogenics book he is reading. Who cares, Jeff? Even Oprah didn't seem to care about that.

Meanwhile, she never showed...how to open a book, what a page looks like, how to turn a page, how you can bookmark a page, how you can come from the home page to this book or that book and always be at the same place...

While I appreciate Oprah's support...and in the long run, I truly believe her support will be a good thing for all of us....she could have done a much better promo job.

L

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went off on an Oprah rant on the other board that might have been ill-advised but still reflects my feelings upon Oprah and celebrities in general.

I like the Kindle and I want it to succeed, so there's ambivalence in my opinion of Oprah's endorsement. However, I can't shake my feeling that Oprah as a person is completely unconcerned about the Kindle now that she's wrapped the show. She gave a paid endorsment through a deal made between HARPO Productions and Amazon. I spit when I heard that she said that it changed her life. What dreck! I fully appreciate the many new users that her show has generated, but I cringe when I see these fawning, addled masses of folks who would buy a two-legged chair if they thought Oprah placed her behind in it. If anyone here has bought the Kindle because of Oprah's ad and the not inconsequential discount, I'm not mocking you. I apologize if it seems that I am. But Oprah's endorsement has less credibility and less sincerity than those issued by the annonymous members of any Kindle forum. We like it because it makes our lives a little more pleasant. Oprah likes it because it made her some money.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I so agree:  I learned of the Oprah thing via the forum so I DVR'd it.  I don't watch her show...(only for cases like the Kindle episode). I too, would rather listen to Paul Harvey's the rest of the story.  She should have dedicated the entire hour to the Kindle.  (Forget that stupid cooking segment...who doesn't know how to make a damn chicken? I'd like to pluck her feathers) Though, when I got home from work my answering machine was blinking with everyone who knows that I have the Kindle asking...did you watch Oprah?  Your thing was on it.

The first half of the show should have been all her dumb gushing about the runway and the 2nd half EXPLAINING.  She hogged up all the airtime; giving little to Jeff and interrupted him every time he did speak.  She left all the viewers with questions and we had to clean up her mess.  The forum was inundated after that!!  

She barely touched on the font size thing.  Hello Oprah...tell millions of people that they might not have to use their reading glasses.  Tell the disabled or handicapped that this may help them and how.  Tell those with arthritis that they don't have to fumble with a book and can push the button with their elbow if they have to.  I think she did a horrible job.  She should have had a Q&A session with the audience in the last few minutes.  She didn't plug the positives enough.  She basically said this is a book reader and you can download books...while on the runway...Duh.

The only good that we can hope for:  More authors to come on board.  Though, I still boycott J.K. Rowling for being so selfish.  She forgets when she was living off of the system in a 1 bedroom apartment.  She just vehemently says no, without doing the research.  I hope when she realizes all she is missing out on; Amazon refuses her and doesn't let her come on board. Then I hope another up and coming author outsells her via the Kindle and her blood boils over with envy.  OK...I'm done...now ask me how I really feel?...lol.

P.S. Oprah ticks me off about a lot of things...especially politics as many celebrities do.  I can't stand people who cram anything down another person's throat.  I will like what I like because I choose to; not because you tell me to.  OK...Now I'm done.    

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
To be honest....

I have never ever watched Oprah before in my life! (I don't watch much TV and I am not home during the day.) But I came home early for this (it was Friday) because I was curious.

My most lasting impression was that they did everything they could to make Oprah look good and Jeff "Crazy Eye" Bezos look bad. But I suppose that is par for the course. Beyond that...see my other comments.

She did alot to make people aware. She could have done a much better job. Oh well, we pick up the pieces. That's what's fun about these forums. Buy my FAQ  book everyone! (Blatant self promotion, I'll admit it!)

L

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Leslie:  Talk about self-promotion if I tell one more person about the anticipation post...about new Kindles and wanting to be a fly on the wall...they are going to want to swat me like a fly.

Yours and Stephen's books were my first two purchases.

G

·
In Oprah's defense, she did have a how-to segment taped. However, unless you went to Oprah.com and watched from there you did not see it. It did go a bit more in depth as to how to use it (buttons to page turn, scrolling, and highlighting).

Caveat: I did buy my Kindle because of Oprah's show, but only after I researched the number of books available. (I had heard of it before, but at that time it did not seems cost effective to me.)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Teninx said:
...she named quick and I in the title. (I don't know why I rate so highly) If you're stopping by that way, maybe give her a kind word on her efforts to keep that place decent.
Don't sell yourself short, Teninx. You are every bit as cool as I am.

And I totally rock!*

I am so, so happy to see SJC over here. Hi, SJC!

*Especially when I take my proper dosage of happy medicine.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
tx_angel: Here is the 1st Poem (original post) followed by the second in case you missed it:

NO SNARKY COMMENTS: THIS IS ALL IN GOOD FUN!!! JUST A LITTLE OLE' JOKE, NOT BASHING ANYONE, NOT SAYING WE DON'T WELCOME YOU: JUST TRYING TO RELIEVE SOME OF THE TENSION OF THE PAST COUPLE DAYS...SO LIGHTEN UP...

Oh, my Kindle, my beloved best friend
I just push my one click-- and Amazon sends

I've enjoyed you all summer and read by the shore
It drives me crazy that "they" wish you'd do more
I want you kept simple, that's honest and true
I like version one, don't need number two

You're my constant companion; always right by my side
I read you and read you, until blurry-eyed
I take you to restaurants, to the market, and bank
You're tops in my book, you really do rank

We have this little forum; where your readers can post
some of them complain; but most of us boast
You've had a viewing on the Oprah talk-show
In hopes that your number of ownerships grow

This nice little forum was a hoot and a blast
But since Oprah's airing; that's a thing of the past
Now all we do, is answer questions GALORE
most of which, we have answered BEFORE...

We've enjoyed your company, for months on end;
but now you've been scooped; and are Oprah's new friend.
She should now do a show, on-- "Kindle-how-to"
and teach her viewers-- just what to do.

We've answered more questions, than we care to count
THAT SOME OF OUR "REGULARS" WANT TO BOW OUT
We beg the posters to SEARCH FIRST; ...then ask
But they just can't do it; such a difficult task

We just want our forum to be about the Kindle and books
and chat like we used to, without the pests and the schnooks.

(I don't want to hear a peep out of you...just a bit of fun to release the tension of the past few days...we welcome you; so don't take offense...that's become the problem.) Enjoy your Kindle, enjoy this discussion forum...it's supposed to be fun.

SECOND POEM

the troll poem

Kindle is the thing for me
I am reading, let me be
I enjoy the Kindle Boards and forum site
Its members are a real delight

We talk books and such; (some often sermon)...
and one day; we caught a wretched vermin
For lurking among us with its awful soul,
was a rotten, sneaky, evil-- troll

Talking trash about what we love most,
by starting up a malicious post
Kindle's stupid; it doesn't work...
ugh; go away you nasty jerk

Stop trying to rattle us; we're like kin
we've formed a bond; you won't win
You plot and scheme trying to break our group
but you won't succeed, to us, you're poop

You'll never be one of us, because we are nice
and you're as popular as a case of lice
So, just stop trying to hop our bus
you are nothing; but a bit of pus

Trolls-- we can see your numbers dwindle
ours stay strong; because we love the Kindle
So get lost, don't even try to post
if you do, you'll be toast

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Thanks sjc! I love it! Since I didn't arrive at the Amazon boards until after I purchase my Kindle I never got to experience the way it was before. I did have 43 pages to read through from beginning to end just on the FAQ's... This forum is SOOOO much better. I may never go back to Amamzon board! Thanks again for posting the poem for me!
Angela

1 - 17 of 17 Posts