Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all the posts and discussion, I decided to order up a vinyl skin from DecalGirl for my Kindle, Sir Sterndale Bennett. I had never seen one of these skins before, so I thought I put together a little photo-essay of getting him "skinned."

First, the package arrives:

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had ordered matching skins, "Symphonic" for my iPhone and Kindle.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the front, the skin is in individual pieces that you place on each component: buttons, bottom and top. I started at the bottom and worked my way up.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unlike the front, the back is one piece. I positioned it carefully over the switches and carefully fit the rest of it on the back.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All the pieces are pre-cut. Here's what is left after the skin is removed from the sheet:

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back in his case. I actually really like the way the skin looks with the saddle cover. This might get me over my craving for a navy blue pebbled M-edge! LOL

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The very last step was to change the screensaver, which I had not done before. But their instructions were easy and worked perfectly. Ta-da! I am really amazed at the way the lines of the music on the screensaver match the lines of the music on the skin!

·
Super Moderator
67,253 Posts
Thanks for the pictures, Leslie.  Two questions:  1.  how hard was it to get the skin to line up properly with the keyboard buttons.  2.  Have you played the piece of music?  Do you know what it is? :)

Ann

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ann Von Hagel said:
Thanks for the pictures, Leslie. Two questions: 1. how hard was it to get the skin to line up properly with the keyboard buttons.
It wasn't hard at all. It just plopped right down over the keys. I have to say, the cut outs and covers for the buttons are very precise.

2. Have you played the piece of music? Do you know what it is? :)
Ann
I don't know what it is but looking at it, it appears to be the same line of music over and over. Probably pretty tuneless if someone did play it!

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Harvey said:
Great choice of skin. Thanks for posting the pix..!!
My pleasure! I know a lot of folks here have questions about the skins and how they work. Now we know!

L

·
Registered
629 Posts
Leslie....I couldn't really tell from the pic so forgive me if I overlooked it :-\ but did u punch out all the little holes for the speaker on the back? I know when I first put mine on I hadn't punched them out and covered the speaker up. Sir William looks very classy with his new coat ;)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sir William certainly looks very spiffy in his new outfit!

I have the saddle M-edge cover, too. I'll have to think about getting a skin now. :)

A few minutes ago I tried the Decalgirl site, but it wouldn't show me any skins.  :'(

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kindled Spirit said:
Leslie....I couldn't really tell from the pic so forgive me if I overlooked it :-\ but did u punch out all the little holes for the speaker on the back? I know when I first put mine on I hadn't punched them out and covered the speaker up. Sir William looks very classy with his new coat ;)
Oh, thank you! I completely forgot about the speakers! LOL. I just punched out all those little tiny pieces....

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lotus said:
Sir William certainly looks very spiffy in his new outfit!
Thank you!

I have the saddle M-edge cover, too. I'll have to think about getting a skin now. :)

A few minutes ago I tried the Decalgirl site, but it wouldn't show me any skins. :'(
They are updating the site so it may be down for awhile. You can also see the skins at www.istyles.com. These are the same ones, made by decalgirl.

L

·
Registered
829 Posts
aaawwww!! Sir William looks very spiffy in his new suit!
Keiko is a little jealous.......
:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I couldn't find any Kindle skins on that site either!  They look so fun!

So the art on the screen is a screensaver?  Do you download it?  I had really wondered about that.  I love the idea of matching iphone and kindle skins!  My dh says I don't need an iphone cuz I've got the kindle internet.  To which my reply is always "hmph!".  He has an iphone, but no kindle and covets mine!  hehehehe...

That was bad, huh?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ShellyD said:
I couldn't find any Kindle skins on that site either! They look so fun!

So the art on the screen is a screensaver? Do you download it? I had really wondered about that. I love the idea of matching iphone and kindle skins! My dh says I don't need an iphone cuz I've got the kindle internet. To which my reply is always "hmph!". He has an iphone, but no kindle and covets mine! hehehehe...
Yes. There is a code in the package with the skins. You go to a website, insert the code and they email you the jpg for the screensaver. I got one for the phone and Kindle. The website has the instructions for how to make them work for both the iPhone and Kindle.

I haven't played around with the screensavers for my Kindle so I was glad that worked so easily. Frankly, I was getting a little tired of looking at Oscar Wilde so this is a nice change. For some reason, Oscar seems to come up way more often than any of the other authors. I haven't seen John Steinbeck in weeks!

L

1 - 20 of 49 Posts