Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just now looking into accessories.  I had been told that the skins were a bad idea because the white was designed to be invisible.  They look so pretty though.  What has been your reading experience and does it actually protect the kindle more?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,691 Posts
Marguerite said:
I am just now looking into accessories. I had been told that the skins were a bad idea because the white was designed to be invisible. They look so pretty though. What has been your reading experience and does it actually protect the kindle more?
I've got Flower Burst Blue on K1 and Olga on K2 (both from Decalgirl) and I don't "see" them at all when I read. They jazz up the K a bit and more importantly to me, it protects it from little nicks, scratches, etc.
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
The skins are not a problem whatsoever. I feel they do protect the Kindle from scratches and scuffs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
I didn't want a skin for my Kindle.  Then saw all the neat photos and decided it would be fun to coordinate.  I like the skins and feel they do provide protection for my Kindle -- plus they are fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
The cons for me are that about 90% of them are very tacky and cheap looking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,724 Posts
Pros: They Look Pretty

Cons: No real protection that I can tell- maybe against scratches?
Hard to align just right- as in you will notice areas where it's not even......if your a perfectionist [I kinda am] this may bother you......I know it's driving me crazy to look at my Kindle and see more white in the lower left corner than I do in the right corner! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,324 Posts
jeremy81 said:
The cons for me are that about 90% of them are very tacky and cheap looking.
Kind of a personsal preference item. People have to decide for themselves if it is their thing. But as far as the skin being distracting, I have not found it to be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,457 Posts
Yes, they protect against scratches--but that's really only an issue if you either plan to eventually go back to a naked kindle or plan to resell at some point.  Since I plan to use the K2 until it dies, it's not that big a deal.

Tacky & cheap is in the eye of the beholder.  I've had several people ask if the "patterned" kindle was a limited edition, because they'd never seen one & liked it a lot better than the plain white.  Sure, there are plenty of decals out there I wouldn't touch with a 20 foot pole, but obviously they appeal to others or they wouldn't sell.  The good news is that there's something for everyone--including not using a skin at all!  

As for the white, the designers may **think** it's invisible; I personally found the contrast between the bright white and the grey of the screen horribly distracting.  I deliberately chose a darker abstract skin (Garden at Giverny), and I find it a lot more restful than the white.  It really does fade into the background in a way that the original white did not.

Disadvantages:  Fingerprints show MORE to me against the dark skin, though they wipe off easily with a microfiber cloth.  The glossy finish is more reflective than the original matte white; glare can be an issue for some people (others don't notice it).  And yes, perfectionists will have fits trying to align all the pieces of a skin absolutely correctly.  LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Ditto on the darker skin making for more comfortable reading yet also showing fingerprints more.  Also worth noting is that the busier patterns hide fingerprints better.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
jeremy81 said:
The cons for me are that about 90% of them are very tacky and cheap looking.
I agree that there are lots of skins at DecalGirl that I don't care for (not sure I'd go all the way to 90%) but the ones I have, I really like and I really like they way they give my Kindle a personalized, finished look.

The advantage of having a smaller group that I like is that I am not tempted to spend a fortune buying them and changing them all the time.

I had my K1 for 6 months before I got a skin (didn't see the point) but now that I am used to them, I think a plain Kindle looks "bare" and needs to be dressed up. LOL.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
Marguerite said:
I am just now looking into accessories. I had been told that the skins were a bad idea because the white was designed to be invisible. They look so pretty though. What has been your reading experience and does it actually protect the kindle more?
I showed my K2 to my friend (that gave it to me for Xmas) with my skin she went and ordered a skin within 24 hours of seeing mine. Her 1 year old K1 already had some wear marks and scuffs on the white plastic case. She used the original case and then the M-edge I bought her as a gift.

None-the-less her K1, which is used a lot and does travel around with her showed "wear and tear" within a year. She is getting a skin to hide that wear and to give her a replaceable surface that will help not getting further wear on he K1.

My K2 skin is on pretty darn close to perfectly.

On the fronmt I used the buttons and then the inner egde of plastic on the screen as my guides for placement.
On the back I started at the speaker end using the speakers themselves to line up "equaly" and then outter edges as well. There is enough placement and replacement allowed to get the fit just right.

I will replace my skin when it show wear "marks" or occasionally if I want a change. I figure once, maybe twice a year.
My K2 is in PERFECT condition nearly always being in a skin and a good case.

I have little issue with fingerprints.

Even as a guy there are certainly at least a couple dozen decal girls skins I would use

Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
Leslie said:
I agree that there are lots of skins at DecalGirl that I don't care for (not sure I'd go all the way to 90%) but the ones I have, I really like and I really like they way they give my Kindle a personalized, finished look.

The advantage of having a smaller group that I like is that I am not tempted to spend a fortune buying them and changing them all the time.

I had my K1 for 6 months before I got a skin (didn't see the point) but now that I am used to them, I think a plain Kindle looks "bare" and needs to be dressed up. LOL.

L
Even if you did go to 90% you don't like (K2 in my example) that would still leave you with more than 15 to choose from that you do like.

It is not mandatory to use skins... if people don't like the idea they shouldn't use them. Simple premise, heh?

Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
I got a skin because I too found the white bezel distracting. I think black would have been more "invisible." So I bought a very dark, abstract skin that's isn't busy at all. I found I was much more able to focus on the screen.

As well, I don't worry about little dings and it getting dirty from handling over time.

I'm very happy I "skinned" mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
akjak said:
I got a skin because I too found the white bezel distracting. I think black would have been more "invisible." So I bought a very dark, abstract skin that's isn't busy at all. I found I was much more able to focus on the screen.

As well, I don't worry about little dings and it getting dirty from handling over time.

I'm very happy I "skinned" mine.
I think I remember they had a pure black skin!

EL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Throw the kindle at you. said:
Even if you did go to 90% you don't like (K2 in my example) that would still leave you with more than 15 to choose from that you do like.

It is not mandatory to use skins... if people don't like the idea they shouldn't use them. Simple premise, heh?

Eric
I admit there are a few I do like. I've considered getting matching skins for my iPhone, MacBook and Kindle 2. I kind of decided against getting one for the Mac. I think it would just look like a Dell if I did that. I might change my mind if they didn't cover the Apple logo. I guess most of them are too girly looking for me. It's like flowery/garish color overload for the most part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
921 Posts
I finally decided to put a skin onto my K2 hoping to protect it a bit more.  Since swapping from the KK to the K2 I always read without a case, and I was worried about dings and scratches.

I ordered the Stand Alone (dark blue with the tree) and was a bit worried about the dark color distracting me, but it never bothered me at all.  What I found odd was the "slick" texture of the skin.  When I first installed it I was afraid I wouldn't like it, but it actually only took me a couple of days and now I love the cool, slick feel of the K2 in my hands.

While I won't say they're simple to install (I too am a perfectionist), it really only takes a bit of patience to get the skin on nice and straight.

And with so many choices, anyone should be able to find at least 2 or 3 to choose from :) .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
jeremy81 said:
I admit there are a few I do like. I've considered getting matching skins for my iPhone, MacBook and Kindle 2. I kind of decided against getting one for the Mac. I think it would just look like a Dell if I did that. I might change my mind if they didn't cover the Apple logo. I guess most of them are too girly looking for me. It's like flowery/garish color overload for the most part.
I don't do matching skins and I have them on ipod 5g, itouch and K2.
Nothing girlie about fine art, even if the are flowers or sky or landscapes.

EL
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
My husband thinks the skins are totally ridiculous and can't understand why I like them.

On the other hand, this is the same man who, when we buy a new car, demands that the dealer not put a sticker on the back saying where the car was purchased. "I don't need to be a rolling advertisement for their dealership," he always says. One time, when they did put the sticker on, he went back and demanded they remove it.

When I sweetly pointed out that his computer is a 24/7 advertisement for its maker (Toshiba) and that he could cover that up with a skin, he had a whole different reaction to why you might want a skin.

He still hasn't asked me to buy him one, but I know he is thinking about it.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
I actually agree with him on the dealer sticker issue... There are companies I don't mind them getting "free" advertising from me (like Apple), but car dealerships suck for the most part. I'm already advertising the make and model of the car, do I have to advertise where I bought it as well? Ugh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
I agree on the car sticker matter.  I always replace the dealer's license plate frame with my own.

As for skins, I'm puzzled as to why there aren't skins for sports teams.  Seems like an entire market they're neglecting.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top