Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all! I'm brand new here. I actually currently don't own a Kindle yet. I'm waiting for the release of the Kindle DX that seems to be taking forever to come out. To satiate my desire for it, I have been looking around at different types of accessories for the Kindle 2. I'm hooked. There are so many things that I can't wait to get when the Kindle DX is finally here.

But, after several visits to different Kindle 2 skin carriers, I've noticed that some of them actually have the design on the reading screen too. Can you actually do that? And how? Doesn't it obstruct the ability to read the Kindle? I just wanted to know, in case I decide to get one for the DX after its release.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I think what you are seeing is the matching screen saver that sometimes you can get. I have never seen a skin that has a design on the screen itself.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Hi Annie!

And welcome to the coolest Kindle accessories place in the world!!!! You will soon notice that this place is full of fun and nice enablers, you'll be all set with a number of accessories in a jiffy - and you will soon realize that yes, you NEEDED all this stuff you didn't even know existed  ;D

Concerning your question, the skins don't cover the screens at all, but some crafty and non-IT challenged Kindle owners (unlike me!) have designed custom screensavers themselves and then uploaded them to their Kindles (through a hack on K2, K1 allowed this and Decalgirl used to send you a code with your skin allowing you to download the matching screensaver).

Again welcome and enjoy  :)!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm tech savvy, but I don't believe I would able to do that. But then again, I guess without an actual Kindle in my hands, I won't be able to experiment with it.

I'm pretty set on some of the stuff I want to get.

1. Screen Protector
2. Hard clear case
3. Skin

I figure with the hard outside case, I won't need another case. But I'm not sure. Any ideas on that?

Any ideas on some nice places to get skins other than Decalgirl?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Annie said:
I figure with the hard outside case, I won't need another case. But I'm not sure. Any ideas on that?

Any ideas on some nice places to get skins other than Decalgirl?
I'm always wary of hard plastic cases, or "crystal" cases, for electronic devices. While they might protect the device from scratches, they will do very little in the way of shock protection. They may even make the outcome of a drop worse as the shock will absorb through the hard plastic shell and right onto the device. My preference has always been for soft cases that offer some padding and protection. To each their own, of course... But something to consider.

3acp.com and Skinit.com also offer skins.

Edit: How rude of me. Welcome to Kindleboards! :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to those have welcomed me! :) I'm very happy to be here. I have actually been looking at the boards for awhile, but never joined. But I'm glad I have.

Reemixx, I had never actually thought about that. That's pretty true. I'll have to take that into consideration. What I was thinking was after the crystal case, I would put it in a neoprene sleeve too. To further provide protection when not in use. But that's the only reason why I want a hard case. I'm afraid I would drop it in at a weird angle and end up chipping an edge or something because the case wasn't closed or something.

But I'm going to think about it some more considering the Kindle DX isn't due out for awhile.

I heard from quite a few members that 3acp skins leave horrible residue? I heard Skinit isn't bad. I just want someone to actually have used it on a Kindle. I saw it in another post about a laptop. But I'm not sure if the surfaces would be the same?

G

·
I personally see no need for a screen protector. It's never touched and as long as you keep it in a case or cover it's well protected. Don't recommend a hard clear case..most of them don't really protect too well. A regular cover from Amazon, M-Edge, Noreve or Oberon is a much better idea and much more protective.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
When I got my decalgirl skin it came with instructions on how to download the matching screensaver.  It looks like a continuation of the skin itself.  I have a k1 so I'm not sure if they are doing this for the k2's.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would still get the screen protector anyhow because I do that to all my electronic devices. Same for the cases. I would do it out of "just in case" reasons. I would hate to get a scratch on a $489 Kindle DX. It would break my heart.

But I'm still reconsidering the clear cases. I like them because I tend to drop things when I'm least expecting it. For example, my phone. I'll have it in my hand, but then forget I have it because I'm carrying something else, and down it goes. But, I have a case for it, and it keeps the scratches away. I'm not sure yet.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I reckon a screen protector could be a good investment as long as it's an anti-glare one. Other than on my iPhone, I've never really bothered with screen protectors on my devices. But the other day, my K1 fell out of it's original Amazon cover (I swear, the way it's designed, it's an absolute joke) and landed screen-down on the edge of my MacBook Air. I've got a couple of little scratches and a miniscule amount of damage to the e-ink screen that stops the ink from working properly in that particular spot. You can't see unless you *really* look for them, but still, I wouldn't want anything worse to happen to the screen. So I think I'll be buying an anti-glare screen protector for mine "just in case".

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your input, Reemixx. :)

Although, I'm still debating the crystal case. I like that if at any angle I drop it, it would protect it. While with any of the other Kindle cases, if I dropped it, and it landed screen face down, it would most likely scratch it. It's just my humble opinion. Not to mention, none of the cases I've seen have been exciting enough that would persuade me to get one. I'm with the "younger" crowd, and tend to love designs that pop.

Oberon cases are unique, but aren't quite my taste. I was thinking if I got the Amazon cover for it, then have someone make an additional cloth cover for it, it might be worth my while, but I might as well just get a Borsa Bella, if I intended to do that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts