Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious.....with the kindle is it better to put it into sleep mode for extended periods of non use time or is it best to simply turn it off? I know with computers it's generally best to put it into sleep mode and turn it off only once every few days......

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
With the inconvenient (I wanted to say stupid but went for the PC don't hurt anybody's feelings choice instead for some reason, perhaps the ungodly hour) placement of the on/off switch I also only turn the unit off for SD card access.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Turning it off isn't really off, it's just a variation on sleep. Watch it when it comes back on and you'll see what I mean. The only way to get it to restart is to do either a hard (paperclip in the back) or soft (alt-shift-R) reset.

I just leave mine on sleep all the time (when I am not reading, of course!).

L

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I thought when you go under the settings menu, then click menu again and you get other options, one of which is "restart" was like the paper clip, or alt-shift-r.  It certainly takes as long to restart  ;D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
red1 said:
I thought when you go under the settings menu, then click menu again and you get other options, one of which is "restart" was like the paper clip, or alt-shift-r. It certainly takes as long to restart ;D
Yes, that's another way to do a restart. I never think of that one because usually when someone needs to do a restart, their Kindle is frozen and they can't get to the menu.

Thanks for the reminder!

L

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I do it this way about once a week after I go into the setting and clear cookies ect. then restart.  I don't know why, and it may all be in my mind, but it seems to be having less hiccups since I started doing it.

·
Registered
723 Posts
tessa said:
I just close the cover and leave it. The only time I shut it down is when I'm going through a medal detector.
Stoopid question person here... (yeah that would be Eric)
Then I will presume that it goes into sleep mode on by itself after a period of inactivity?
Yes? No?

Eric

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
tessa said:
Yes it does. It takes about 10 min.

Tessa
Yup. 10 minutes exactly and you can't change the interval. You can put it to sleep manually by pressing the Alt-aA (font) key.

L

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I turn it off. I don't like the idea of the screen savers on my screen for a long period of time. I find it pretty easy to turn it on and off. I amin the habit of turning electronics off, I see no reason to get out of the habit with Tavar.

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
I leave Radar in sleep mode - how else would I get to admire Bacardi Jim's screensavers every day!  It doesn't seem to affect the charge at all.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Sleep for mine as well.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I got into the habit of putting the K in sleep mode whenever I put it down. Helps with those pesky accidental page turns, too!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts