Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like using the sleep mode is very popular on KBs, as someone that always just turns kindle off what is the benefit of sleep mode over the on/off switch?

I think I'm just used to turning it off since I do the same thing with the tv to avoid burn in anytime I'm going to pause the screen for awhile.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
There is no burn in with e-ink. It will look like there is, but as soon as you turn the page or refresh it will go away. I usually just put it to sleep. It doesn't burn more battery in sleep mode. :)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
The only advantage for sleep vs. off is that the Kindle wakes up much quicker than it turns on. Since it uses no power during sleep mode, there is no disadvantage to using it.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I'm thankful for it cause I fall asleep reading every night.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
According to Amazon, it's better to put the Kindle into sleep mode:

Last Page Read
You do not need to power down Kindle 2 between reading sessions, it is best to leave the device in sleep mode. Holding the switch at the top to power the device off is similar to pulling the power cord on your computer without shutting down the Operating System. If you turn the device off while in the middle of the book, the device cannot save that location. We save the location when the device goes into sleep mode or when you leave the book, so if you do need to power the device off then be sure to go to the Home screen first - this will save your last place in the book.

This is from the Amazon Customer service posts. There's a link to them in my signature. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Rasputina said:
huh? That is just bizarre. It always saves my place in the middle of a book. Weird.
If you go back to the home menu first, it will save your place on the K2. Also, that was for the K2 only. The K1 still saves your place, I'm quite sure.

Also consider that turning the device off and back on again will use more power than simply putting it to sleep and awakening it. You could probably save a bit of battery by just putting it to sleep.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Note that on the K2, when you slide the "on/off" switch and then release it, you are putting the K2 into sleep mode. You only turn it off if you slide the switch, hold it for at least 4 seconds, and then release it.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
NogDog, thanks for clarifying the on/off vs. sleep mode procedure. I was getting ready to search for directions, as I thought I always put my Kindle 2 in sleep mode, but then I couldn't think where the on/off switch would be located. Guess I'd better pay attention to how long I hold the switch when I slide it. I do that automatically, and really hadn't given it much thought. Whatever I'm doing is working well, though, as I hardly ever have to charge my Kindle.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm glad someone posted this.  my friend at work said I was supposed to just use sleep and I had been turning it off each time.  I didn't know that and was going to ask if anyone else had heard this!  Good to know!

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I was one who turned my Kindle2 off all the time at first too.  The not remembering your page thing only happens for a very small percentage of the books out there.  Out of all the ones I have I think only one does it.  That being sad, I really think you get better battery life by just putting the Kindle to sleep.  A lot more effort goes into turning it on than just waking it up from the device itself, so I don't see why it shouldn't.  Other advantages... it's kind of fun to see the screen savers and it also wakes up much more quickly than turning it on and off.  Holding the slider on the K2 takes like 5 seconds whereas you just slide and release to put it to sleep.  On the K1 I would imagine it's handier especially if you have it in a case because it means you don't have to access the back of it to hit the switch.  People also figure it saves wear and tear on the switch, which might be a case of stretching a bit for more advantages, but I suppose it's true.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Odd...........my K2 always saves the location and I use the on/off switch.

Brian

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've always turned mine off at night and when I turn it back on during lunch the next day it always goes back to the page I left off reading. I've never seen the need to leave it on from say 10:30 at night until 12:00 the next day. Seems like a waste of battery to me.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Rita said:
I've always turned mine off at night and when I turn it back on during lunch the next day it always goes back to the page I left off reading. I've never seen the need to leave it on from say 10:30 at night until 12:00 the next day. Seems like a waste of battery to me.
With wireless off, it would actually use more battery to turn your Kindle off and back on again than it would to just keep it in sleep mode for that duration.

·
Registered
407 Posts
How do you figure that? What substantiates that theory?

P.S. I love coming to this board; I'm learning all kinds of new things!  :)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
With e-ink technology no energy is used unless you do a page turn, once in sleepmode, no energy being used. To turn off and then back on requires the K to go through its shut down and powerup modes. At least that is what Amazon KIndle Customer Service says.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts