Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it OK to just put the Kindle to sleep if you are not going to be using it for several hours or overnight -  or is it better to turn it off? Does it use electricity when it is in sleep mode?
Thanx

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes it's safe, I've yet to turn mine off since I got it last april.  The thing has such an insanely long battery life w/ the cellphone turned off that I just let it do it's thing, plug it in every few days for half an hour or so.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
The only time mine has ever been turned off since I got it in November was to put the SD card in a few weeks ago. I find no reason to turn it off.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I've turned my K1 off to put in the SD card and all the many times I have had to hard reset it..

I've never had mine turn a page, though.  The screen image stays the way it was when it either times out or I put it to sleep until it is wakened.  Same for K2.

If you leave whispernet on while it sleeps then your blogs or newspapers will download during that time.

===

Blaster, welcome to the board!  Congrats on your first post and, I assume, your first Kindle?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I don't think that the screensaver changes while it's asleep...

BTW, I always just put mine to sleep.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
blaster said:
Is it OK to just put the Kindle to sleep if you are not going to be using it for several hours or overnight - or is it better to turn it off? Does it use electricity when it is in sleep mode?
Thanx
Blaster, welcome, glad to have you here.

Most sources say that the only time the Kindle uses power is when the page is refreshed. Since the screensaver doesn't change when it's asleep, the power consumption between sleep and off should be the same. "Off" really isn't off, by the way. It's more like sleep without a screensaver.

My feeling is, since they made it very easy to put the K2 to sleep (just slide the switch) that is what they are expecting us to do.

L

·
Registered
234 Posts
The last time I actually turned my Kindle off was because I was on a plane and we were getting ready to take off, and the flight attendant insisted.  I always but my to sleep. 

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Kindle Convert said:
The last time I actually turned my Kindle off was because I was on a plane and we were getting ready to take off, and the flight attendant insisted. I always but my to sleep.
Those pesky flight attendants!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Leslie said:
Those pesky flight attendants!
Hey hey my daughter is a flight attendant!!!! :D :D

Yes they can be a bit insistent at times. I am curious at to what it will be like for her once she flies with KiKi on Monday.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
ladyknight33 said:
Hey hey my daughter is a flight attendant!!!! :D :D

Yes they can be a bit insistent at times. I am curious at to what it will be like for her once she flies with KiKi on Monday.
Yes, they can be insistent, but they are just doing their job. I'm not complaining.

I have been on 12 flights with WSB and only once have I been asked to turn my Kindle off. Of course, I never had the WN on at any time during the flight.

L

·
Registered
856 Posts
Leslie,

I  know you're not complaining. This board has some of the most pleasant people.  I use to read the kindle boards on amazon and saw your link to here and since then, I have become addiccted.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
ladyknight33 said:
Leslie,

I know you're not complaining. This board has some of the most pleasant people. I use to read the kindle boards on amazon and saw your link to here and since then, I have become addiccted.
Well, I am thrilled you made your way over and are enjoying it here! I like to think we are the friendliest place on the 'net. :D

L

·
Registered
234 Posts
No...not complaining either.  At first I just figured they didn't know what the KK was (I didn't have Wispernet on) but they were asking people with Ipods to turn them off also.  Would never make their jobs more stressful than they already are, so I complied right away! :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Leslie,

Were you the person who posted a message about the 5-way on the K2 sometimes being pushed by accident while the amazon cover is closed on the K2?

If it sometimes can be pushed, that might be a reason to turn it off instead of just letting it go to sleep.

I just checked and it has no effect if the K2 is already in sleep mode.

Even if you just close the cover without putting it into sleep mode, where it would eventually go into sleep mode by itself, and the 5-way is pushed by the cover before the K2 goes into sleep, it still won't have any effect is your cursor was still on the bottom line of the screen.

The only time it would seem to have an effect is if the cursor was on something other that the bottom line.

The little testing I did on this was only when the K2 was still in a book when the cover was closed. I did not check it when it was on the home page or a menu.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Yes, the only time the accidental pushing would/could be a problem is in the 10 minute interval before the K goes to sleep automatically. That is why I got into the habit of always putting it to sleep whenever I set it down, even for a second. If the K is asleep (no matter which model, 1 or 2) none of buttons work, so a bumper on the cover is not needed.

L

·
Registered
723 Posts
Leslie said:
Yes, the only time the accidental pushing would/could be a problem is in the 10 minute interval before the K goes to sleep automatically. That is why I got into the habit of always putting it to sleep whenever I set it down, even for a second. If the K is asleep (no matter which model, 1 or 2) none of buttons work, so a bumper on the cover is not needed.

L
Yes I am developing that exact habit.
If I place it/her down, I put it/her to sleep.

EL

·
Registered
392 Posts
Leslie said:

L
Yeh that was me that posted that about the bumper. I just felt that any excessive clicking was bad for the unit, not necessarily gonna launch anything. I was probably be overly obsessively compulsively cautious! ::)

but Luv4mybrats made a good point, she's been clicking on it for over a year with no problems.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
If y'all don't mind, I think I'll just continue to turn mine (k1) off.  I had WN on when I first got it and even though it was asleep it completely drained the battery, so I feel a bit nervous.  I do have to recharge (when the first bit of white shows) about once a week, when I am actually reading and not playing on KBs.

Leslie has brought so many of us over here, I think Harvey should give her a BIG bonus  ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Leslie said:
<snjip>

My feeling is, since they made it very easy to put the K2 to sleep (just slide the switch) that is what they are expecting us to do.
Leslie, the only time that I use the slider is to wake the kindle up. I treat it like a book and just set it down and let it do its thing. I figure that (as you pointed out) it doesn't use the battery so just let it go to sleep and pop up one of its pics.

SO, can you edit your post to agree with me please?
;D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
kirwoodd said:
Leslie, the only time that I use the slider is to wake the kindle up. I treat it like a book and just set it down and let it do its thing. I figure that (as you pointed out) it doesn't use the battery so just let it go to sleep and pop up one of its pics.

SO, can you edit your post to agree with me please?
;D
Three posts to your credit and you're talking to me all friendly-like and asking me to change my posts...hmmm, kirwoodd do we have some history together that I'm not remembering? ;) ;)

L

PS...welcome to the forum....glad to have you here. We are a fun and friendly bunch... ;D

1 - 20 of 93 Posts