Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Smashword receipts for entire year 2012 is now in:

Total earnings for all CoolMain authors across the channels Smashwords distribute to about one-sixth of Amazon earnings: some books were on Smashwords for only a small part of the time they were on Amazon.

Barnes & Noble outsold Sony 7:2, Apple 4:1 and Kobo 15:1. Sales on Smashwords itself was fractionally more than on Apple. Some books were on the others for Christmas but not on Apple because of the conjunction of a tight schedule at CoolMain Press, Smashwords' mindless insistence on lower case titles, and Apple's handvetting of books before listing them.

This year we'll get a fairer picture of what Apple is good for, but it has already shot up in January, as has Kobo (which last year lagged badly) for some unknown reason, possibly expansion.

Clearly, it doesn't pay to ignore Smashwords, even by itself, nor several of the channels it distributes to, the best ones by this showing being Barnes & Noble, Sony, Apple and Kobo. In addition, the ones where we didn't sell well may be the stamping grounds of readers of types of books we don't do -- we concentrate on quality literature for the higher end of the market.

This confirms to me that the lower Amazon sales reported (we didn't actually see a dip as reported elsewhere but we were launching new books right up to Christmas) is not the result of a fall in the market but a shift in the market to the other vendors.

Ignore Smashwords and the channels it brings you in a convenient package at your own peril!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Anyone else sensing Smashwords is running off with our money? I appreciate the service, but for almost six months it's been completely lackluster and if it weren't for D2D restricted to US citizens only (I'm Canadian), I would've jumped ship long ago.

EDIT: To clarify, I don't mean they are faulting reporting or anything criminal, but if they're earning this much money, where is it going? Certainly not anywhere near customer service.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I totally agree with this. I had all my books (10) in Select since January 2012, because then I made a huge amount of money from free promos and subsequent sales and borrows.

In the latter part of 2012, sales and borrows dipped. I also saw that generally, people were more and more inclined to read on iPads and other similar devices, rather then designated e-readers, wanting an all in one approach.

So I have put nearly all my books back into Smashwords now, except for my German translation that is in Select because it did so well in the free promo in Germany, continues to sell in great numbers and gets a lot fo borrows. But I think that market is at the stage the others were two years or so ago.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
AdriannaWhite said:
Anyone else sensing Smashwords is running off with our money? I appreciate the service, but for almost six months it's been completely lackluster and if it weren't for D2D restricted to US citizens only (I'm Canadian), I would've jumped ship long ago.

EDIT: To clarify, I don't mean they are faulting reporting or anything criminal, but if they're earning this much money, where is it going? Certainly not anywhere near customer service.
Adrianna, D2D isn't restricted to only US citizens. I'm in Scotland and I've been using D2D for the past month or so (and very happy with the results, btw). :)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jena H said:
I still have B&N sales from mid-December that haven't been updated yet.
If you're comparing year on year, because the vendors pay Smashwords in arrears, December's income actually appears in the next year.

·
Registered
366 Posts
garam81 said:
Adrianna, D2D isn't restricted to only US citizens. I'm in Scotland and I've been using D2D for the past month or so (and very happy with the results, btw). :)
Awesome, Gayle, last time I tried it the process wouldn't work, but I'm going back to sign up now.

How does D2D pay non US residents? I love the paypal approach by Smashwords.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Interesting Post. I certainly agree that Amazon.com is losing market share, and deservedly so. I do not employ Smashwords, but market to the other ebook vendors directly.

A number of new ebook vendors are appearing, and it looks like at least some will be able to make traction against the aging out of touch three ebook dinosaurs. Good luck to them!

Draft2Digital.com looks far superior to Smashwords, and I am giving them a try.

The entire ebook field is evolving, and therefore changing, rapidly.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
AdriannaWhite said:
if they're earning this much money, where is it going? Certainly not anywhere near customer service.
I don't know about that. Last time I contacted Smashwords customer service (which was in the past week), I got a response on the next business day. Big change from the two week wait!

Personally, Smashwords is even my preferred vendor in shopping for e-books, so I'd put my stuff on there even if I didn't use them for distribution anywhere. I put my work pretty much everywhere I can find-and I'm moving into going direct whenever I can. Mainly because I prefer having paychecks from multiple sources, so if one place tanks, I still might have the others coming in. (Yes, I'm paranoid. I've earned it. ;) )

Not that I'm making much of anything from my publishing yet, but that's fine. I'm on a five-year plan. :)

Fact is, D2D looks potentially useful, but not for me. I write in Scrivener, I live in the US, and I have a Mac computer. It is easy for me to produce an EPUB, a MOBI, and a PDF file. I can go direct with all those vendors that D2D uses. (Perhaps ironically, with my software setup, the most time-consuming file to format is the Smashwords one. Doesn't take long, since I'm used to it, but it still takes longer than the other formats.)

Someone else, in a different situation than me? I could see D2D being a great option.

One thing I've heard is that D2D is looking in to the possibility of being able to split royalty payments between parties involved in a title. If they got that, I could see myself using them for a project I've been mulling over. (DTF seems to be able to do that already, for the record, though they don't distribute to other vendors…insofar as I've noticed.)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
phildukephd said:
Draft2Digital.com looks far superior to Smashwords, and I am giving them a try.
Me, too. I like that they support EPUB, which I know Smashwords does, too, but I believe they are still in beta.

The one thing I see missing are coupons. I use Smashwords coupons A LOT to give away free copies in exchange for reviews. I've gotten some great reviews this way, so not something I can give up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts